• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What Did You Do Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Yeah, the problem with school emergency plans is that they basically are there to keep kids quiet and out of the way... Anyone remember the duck and cover films? One of the biggest mistakes adults make is to not give kids enough credit. I personally figured out the Easter Bunny when I was 4 (How could a rabbit hold a paint brush? It doesn't have an opposable thumb!). The result was that I didn't get anymore Easter baskets! Guess how long I 'believed' in Santa? :D Kids also think outside the box more because they don't know what's 'impossible' until they get tired of trying to do it :D.
But yes, I'd recommend going their safety meeting, if no reason other than to tell my kid what to do and what NOT to do!

Now I have to try and figure out how to prepare for a volcano... Thanks guys!! :p

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
So yeah, there was a 6.4 earthquake just off Vancouver Island Friday around lunch time... One of the guys I know was on the 15th floor of a building in Bellevue, WA and said the building was actually moving! Turns out that building is on rollers which are supposed to DAMPEN the effects. I guess it beats having the building fall but... I don't like my buildings to move at ALL. Guess I need to hurry up and finish the earthquake/volcano bag.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Sounds like a nice deal. I poked my head in a few of the survivalist groups around here over the summer ... not sure I'm as "enthusiastic" as they are though. :laugh:

Still settling from the move two months ago, and without vehicle other than my bike at the moment, so I looked at an 86 F250 6.9 liter diesel today. More room for passengers, and I will probably rig up a bunk system in the canopy if I get this one. My son is really excited to get out and get some survival practice in this winter!

My little truck wasn't going to do it anymore, so I sold it for what I paid, and the Cougar isn't getting me far enough into the woods. Still have to find a buyer for it though, which is going to be hard because cars like that are usually springtime impulse buys.

Making the split took all of my resources, so we're drastically trying to cut costs to get a rig before we have to buy snow shoes, LOL. (Guess there's a reason why somebody coined the phrase "cheaper to keep 'er." ) :laugh:

Accidentally sent when I sat on my phone.

The problem around my parts with finding a survivalists group, is that most are really militia groups. I have done my time on the government radar, and its not fun.

Our survivalist group is going to concentrate on actual survival in the wild. One of the members is an emergency room nurse and will teach us basic trauma techniques. We are also planning on building a smokehouse to cure meat without the use of any electricity or any modern appliances. Trying to simulate a real situation where we have to flee and live Little House on the Prarie style, but the wife says its just an excuse to go to the woods with a bunch of guys and sit around a camp fire drinking beer.

The first meeting is to get to know everyone, but I get the lead the second meeting, which is Bug Out Bags and getting to our destination. I guess from the zombie forum here, I have learned that it will take more than one person to survive, long term.

Will post up once it all starts coming together.

Sounds like a nice deal. I poked my head in a few of the survivalist groups around here over the summer ... not sure I'm as "enthusiastic" as they are though. :laugh:

Still settling from the move two months ago, and without vehicle other than my bike at the moment, so I looked at an 86 F250 6.9 liter diesel today. More room for passengers, and I will probably rig up a bunk system in the canopy if I get this one. My son is really excited to get out and get some survival practice in this winter!

My little truck wasn't going to do it anymore, so I sold it for what I paid, and the Cougar isn't getting me far enough into the woods. Still have to find a buyer for it though, which is going to be hard because cars like that are usually springtime impulse buys.

Making the split took all of my resources, so we're drastically trying to cut costs to get a rig before we have to buy snow shoes, LOL. (Guess there's a reason why somebody coined the phrase "cheaper to keep 'er." ) :laugh:

Good choice on the older 6.9 diesel. The newer ford diesels are nothing but expensive troubles waiting to happen, at least according to the 4x4 shop I go to. Finding bigger motor trucks at the moment is getting easier because of the cost of diesel fuel and finding "fuel" in the future for a diesel is much easier than finding gasoline.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
In honor of The Walking Dead premiere, I decided to do a little Zombie hunting of my own this past week. Here's some of the results:
DSCN0413.jpg

The 'NEW Nuclear Family'
10152011496.jpg

The only thing wrong with this plate is that it wasn't mine :D

I think I'm going to have to check Oregon's plates to see what's available. (Also ... I totally missed the premier of the walking dead. :facepalm: )

For shame freaky....for shame.

If you send me your address, I might think about returning your Zombie movie.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Yeah ... bad on my part, but I'm actually kind of glad as to why we missed it. We haven't watched television for over a month, so we haven't seen the commercials. Gotta love it when you can actually get a 12 hear old boy to read, play guitar, or go for walks instead of watching tv all day! :)

We just looked, and it is available for free on demand, so we're just starting it ... with some bacon popcorn. :laugh:

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Well . . . they have gained my interest. I was completely unsatisfied with the last season, but this season's premier just won me over. I'm still fearful that the "soap opera" effect will come too much to the surface though.

We picked up a few more things to add to our BOB today, so it was nice to add to the pack while watching the show.

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
Yeah ... bad on my part, but I'm actually kind of glad as to why we missed it. We haven't watched television for over a month, so we haven't seen the commercials. Gotta love it when you can actually get a 12 hear old boy to read, play guitar, or go for walks instead of watching tv all day! :)

We just looked, and it is available for free on demand, so we're just starting it ... with some bacon popcorn. :laugh:

Did you say BACON popcorn???? What's your address? I'll be right OVER !!!:laugh:
..also - I have to watch it on demand too. I stoopidly forgot the premiere!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread