What DIY/e-liquid calculator are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I am also using Juice Calculator as I find it does everything that I need.
While I have tried others, this one just does it for me.

+1 for hotrod's juice Calculator

I started with the EJuiceMeUp calculator but at the time it didn't have measurements in grams (or I was too dumb to figure out how to display them :confused:). I wanted to start measuring by weight and get rid of all the syringes. I stumbled across hotrod's thread and the rest, as they say, is history. I love that I was able to import my recipes from EJuiceMeUp right into juice Calculator.:thumb:

Reactions: IDJoel

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Can I import my flavor stash from erl to hotrod's ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not sure exactly what calculator you are referring to, but if it's an online calculator then I would think not.

[edit] According to the readme file, it will import from EJuiceMeUp (.REC file) or from Recipe Calculator (.XML file). I don't know if it imports from anything else.

You could always ask the author:
New Calculator to try

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Reactions: Tbev

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Yet another vote for HotRod19579's Juice Calculator. I originally started with eLiquid Recipe Manager Pro - an Android app that was compatible with my Kindle HDX tablet. That was very slow and kludgy (official retired tech support term) for entering inventory. Then I tried eJuicemeup and it just wasn't intuitive on getting inventory and recipes in, and as mentioned above, it either wasn't set up for mixing by weight at that time or the function was really well hidden. Then I tried HotRod19579's Juice Calculator and it was just right.

It works very well for adjusting amounts of ingredients to use as a recipe grows or changes, it has all of the values needed for mixing by weight or, if you prefer you can enter them manually.

The only 'disadvantage' is how very often it is upgraded in response to questions/comments in the New Calculator to try thread (and no, you don't have to go through all 2,818 posts - though it can be fascinating if you're feeling bored some day) so it does sometimes feel like there is at least 1 upgrade available every time you open the program. However, unlike Microsoft Windows, the updates never freeze up the program.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Yet another vote for HotRod19579's Juice Calculator. I originally started with eLiquid Recipe Manager Pro - an Android app that was compatible with my Kindle HDX tablet. That was very slow and kludgy (official retired tech support term) for entering inventory. Then I tried eJuicemeup and it just wasn't intuitive on getting inventory and recipes in, and as mentioned above, it either wasn't set up for mixing by weight at that time or the function was really well hidden. Then I tried HotRod19579's Juice Calculator and it was just right.

It works very well for adjusting amounts of ingredients to use as a recipe grows or changes, it has all of the values needed for mixing by weight or, if you prefer you can enter them manually.

The only 'disadvantage' is how very often it is upgraded in response to questions/comments in the New Calculator to try thread (and no, you don't have to go through all 2,818 posts - though it can be fascinating if you're feeling bored some day) so it does sometimes feel like there is at least 1 upgrade available every time you open the program. However, unlike Microsoft Windows, the updates never freeze up the program.

I do think that I'm seeing a pattern here.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID

Thanks for sharing!:thumbs: Great additional info too. I never found the updates a problem, in fact, just the opposite. I feel like it represents just how well supported the program is. But that's just me; I am glad you shared your point of view. I can see how some may find it a bit of a nuisance.:)

Reactions: SteveS45

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I use the ecigvape dot com calculators because there is no need to install, ability to save and share plus accessibility from anywhere I have internet access.
Thanks Steve!:thumb: Glad to hear from another online user!

Keep them coming folks! All input is welcome!

Reactions: SteveS45

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I don't need no Stinkin Calculator.
There are 3 possibly 4 aspects to mixin juice and it can be quite simple if one isn't .... retentive.

Start by choosing the size of the bottle that you will use.
I like an 8 or 16 ounce bottle

Part 1. Add your flavoring and diluting liquids
I use 100% VG so I've found that a 20% to 25% combination of flavoring and dilution works.
Let's assume you are making a 8 ounce batch.
Take a 2 ounce plastic travel bottle found in any travel kit at the drugstore and fill it to the top
with whatever % of flavoring and diluting liquids that you'd like. If you are using PG in the mix maybe you only need to fill 1/2 to 3/4 of the bottle. Experiment and you'll get it right very quickly.

2. The Nic Base. I Use 100mg liquid. Every 1ml that you add per ounce is equal to 3.3 so if I want a 6mg liquid then on a 8 ounce batch I I add 16 or 15 ml of nic base. If I wanted 3mg then I'd just use 8ml.

4. Fill to the top with your VG or VG PG Mix. My suggestion is that if you are using a mix you mix up the vg and pg ahead of time. Me since I'm 100% VG I just fill to the top with the VG

Shake

Why everyone tries to make it nuclear science I don't understand.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Fair enough @tomzgreat. I am sincerely glad that works for you. I don't believe anyone is is trying to make "nuclear science" by choosing to use a calculator (and I personally find such comments offer nothing to further the conversation, unnecessary, and inflammatory).

A recipe calculator is just one more tool that a DIYer can choose to use; and the reasons one might choose to use one are manifold; of which aiding with mathematic calculations are only one. Calculators can also assist with tracking and organizing recipes, ingredients, shopping lists, links/sources, and notes just to name a few.

You have chosen NOT to use a calculator; and I fully respect and your decision to do so. However, I started this thread specifically to create a discussion for those DIYers who DO use calculators to share what they are using and why. So that others who ARE choosing to use one, can get a better feel for what options are out there, and which might be the best fit for them.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Thanks for sharing!:thumbs: Great additional info too. I never found the updates a problem, in fact, just the opposite. I feel like it represents just how well supported the program is. But that's just me; I am glad you shared your point of view. I can see how some may find it a bit of a nuisance.:)

That was mostly tongue-in-cheek.that's why I put the word disadvantage in quotes.:D

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Hello all ECF DIYers!

I am starting this thread with the hopes that, with everyone's participation, we can create a one-stop place for anyone searching for the best e-liquid calculator based on their needs.

As someone who spends WAY to much time on ECF, and on the DIY sub-forum in particular, I have noticed a reoccurring need for calculator information. There have been lots of good, useful, posts scattered through a multitude of threads, and almost all conceivable topics. But they are just that; scattered and hard to find (especially for those new to ECF and forums in general).

Thanks to the FDA, and their draconian deeming regulations, it seems like we have an increase in people wanting to learn about e-liquid DIY. So now seemed as good a time as any to start this thread.

What I hope for this thread:
I would like to see everyone who chooses to participate, identify the calculator they are currently using, and some basic information about it.

I offer this template as a suggested format so we can keep some continuity and hopefully make the information easy to sort through:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name of calculator:

Link to download source for calculator:

What platforms/operating systems this calculator will work on (Windows, Mac, iPad, Android, Linux, on-line, etc.):

Cost ($, $ reoccurring <time period>, free, free & accepts donations, free & actively solicits donations <guilt screens>:

What I like about this calculator (features & Benefits):

What I don't like about this calculator:

Anything else I feel might be helpful to know:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: I know of at least one on-line calculator that is part of an ECF banned website (you ELRers know the site I mean). If you post a calculator name and/or link, and the ECF auto-filters any part to “.....”, please do not try to subvert the filters by intentional misspellings or other “trickery.” We do not need to agree with the rules but we do need to respect them, and do our best to follow them. Enough said.

Also, I know there are at least two ECF members (@HotRod19579, @Scubabatdan) that have developed, and offered publicly, their own calculator. Please feel free to shamelessly promote/educate the rest of us about your own wares. A disclaimer that you are the author in the “Anything else” portion would probably be the “right” thing to do. Likewise, if anyone else is promoting a calculator that they receive ANY type of compensation (money, gear, goodies, etc.), might be nice to declare.

Final request: I do not wish this to become a “mine's better than yours” debate. If you have honest feedback from your own personal experience (“I read it on...” doesn't count), and it helps to explain by briefly comparing it to another calculator; be my guest (“I like “A” more than “B” because...” is fine). I just don't want the mud slinging to begin. If something is not good, don't focus on that product, focus on what product might be a better option and why.

Multiple listing for the same calculator are fine (from different posters). If you change calculators, and you wish to post again; have at it (might add a note in the “Anything else” section; something to the effect of “I previously was using...” or “I previously recommended...”).

If you feel I forgot something that would be worthwhile in the template please let me know and I will edit it for as long as I have edit permission.

OK! Thanks for participating and let the fun commence!!

I use http://..................../create because it shows amounts in percentages. ml and also in drops! And I like that I don't have to download it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Fair enough @tomzgreat. I am sincerely glad that works for you. I don't believe anyone is is trying to make "nuclear science" by choosing to use a calculator (and I personally find such comments offer nothing to further the conversation, unnecessary, and inflammatory).

A recipe calculator is just one more tool that a DIYer can choose to use; and the reasons one might choose to use one are manifold; of which aiding with mathematic calculations are only one. Calculators can also assist with tracking and organizing recipes, ingredients, shopping lists, links/sources, and notes just to name a few.

You have chosen NOT to use a calculator; and I fully respect and your decision to do so. However, I started this thread specifically to create a discussion for those DIYers who DO use calculators to share what they are using and why. So that others who ARE choosing to use one, can get a better feel for what options are out there, and which might be the best fit for them.
I'm just joking around with the beginning statement. It's not meant seriously. My only intention was to show that there is a easy way to DIY without using a calculator. I think alot of newbies are turned off by how complicated everyone makes it seem.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I'm just joking around with the beginning statement. It's not meant seriously. My only intention was to show that there is a easy way to DIY without using a calculator. I think alot of newbies are turned off by how complicated everyone makes it seem.

Some of the people who DIY tend to make people shy away from DIY by making it sound like you need a PHD in Chemistry to be able to do it! Really if you can make a mixed drink you have enough skills!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Just so we are all on the same page:

The intent and purpose of this thread is to create a running list of e-liquid calculators being currently used by individuals posting to share what calculator they are using and why they have chosen that particular calculator. My hope is that this thread might become a useful resource for readers who are searching for a calculator that best fits their own individual needs.

In that spirit; I respectfully ask (through self-governance and restraint) that all participants adhere to the following guidelines:

Information and talking points that will improve this thread and should be included whenever possible:

• Name of calculator
  • Link to calculator source
  • Links to user support, threads, discussions, reviews, and anything else that might benefit someone considering this particular calculator
  • Compatible platforms (e.g. Windows, Apple/Mac, Android, IOS, Google, on-line, etc.)
  • What made this calculator the best fit for you
  • features you particularly appreciate/enjoy
  • Why you changed from another calculator (if you have)
  • Any additional information (specific to the calculator you are writing about) you feel a reader might find helpful when choosing a calculator
  • Focus on the positives of the one you are using and not "bashing" ones you don't.
  • If you change calculators, I would encourage you to re-post and share what you are using now, and what made you change
To keep this thread as useful, on-topic, and non-confrontational, I would ask that people considering posting to refrain from:
  • Commentary on whether calculators are appropriate, useful, necessary, overly complicating the DIY experience, or any other conversation on calculators in general terms. (this is not to say such discussions are invalid, or should not take place; only that they are inappropriate to the spirit of this particular thread.)
  • Debate, argument, analysis, and even confrontation can be of great benefit and certainly have their place; just not this thread. If you feel the need for such a discussion, feel free to start one of your own, but please don't hijack this one.
  • If it is not directly pertaining to a calculator you are using, or asking for additional information about a specific calculator, it probably does not belong in this thread.
  • Please refrain from encouraging off-topic posts by not replying to, agreeing with, or contradicting such posts. (again, these may be very valid ideas, and worthy of further discussion, but please do it in another thread or by PM. Please don't add to the clutter of this thread)
My only intentions with such limitations are to keep this thread easily searchable, on topic, and inviting(non-threatening), to encourage maximum participation. I appreciate everyone's assistance in keeping it so. Thank you.

Joel (thread creator)

(Please feel free to PM me with any questions regarding these guidelines. Admins: if I am exceeding my prerogative as OP, or otherwise not acting in the intent and/or spirit of what ECF is trying to accomplish, please let me know and I will revise immediately. I have no desire to circumvent ECF policy.)

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I use Hotrod's calculator. New Calculator to try
I have used various others and they were all lacking in one way or another. Some were slow, some required too many steps to get the recipe results, some just didn't work.
This one keeps inventory, prints, does labels, by weight, etc, etc.
It is as simple as you want to make or can be as involved as you want.
The author is a heck of a nice guy who has almost infinite patience and is VERY responsive to requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread