what do i do when we go camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarFreeMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
Bellevue, NE
Yep, I think a usb car charger should work just fine. I love to camp, so I have an inverter. Plugs right into your car's lighter port and you can attach a regular house cord to it. Probably more than you would like to spend though. However, having one of these when camping comes in really handy! You can plug in smaller stuff, like chargers, lights, etc. I always have rechargeables for my flashlights, too, so I can charge those up if need be!

Definitely test first though and make sure you bring enough juice and cartos, or whatever you are using. Most of all, have FUN!!!!

I'm a new vaper and going camping soon as well. I plan to go with an inverter just as Snus said. It will also be handy for charging phones, the kids' ipods and games, and almost anything else you can think of.

Newegg has some that seem pretty reasonable and sufficient for my needs. I may even a get 2 to make sure I don't get stuck with dead batteries because of a dead inverter.

We'll have probably 10+ families along and probably half of them smoke. Don't wanna take any chances with that kind of temptation around!

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I frequently go off the grid for a week on the boat. There I have 64 watts of thin film flexible solar panels that provide up to 30 amp hours charging per day for two group 27 deep cycle batteries.

I could use power from the solar charged batteries to charge my PV if I had a battery charger that works off of 12VDC. But, I don't. There is a much less expensive solution available.

My PV is an E-Power 14650. The batteries are protected Li-ion 14650 which are about the same size as AA cells but 3/4" longer. They cost me $4 apiece. I just charge them from a big multi-cell charger at home and pack enough batteries to last me a week. One week: about seven charged 14650 batteries.

Having designed and installed a solar charging system for a small cruiser including panels, switching, wiring, batteries and charge control I can assure you that the most practical and cost effective way to go off the grid with a PV for a week is to buy a PV that uses standard cylindrical batteries and pack enough charged batteries for the trip.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Yes, a car battery has a lot of capacity. The deep cycle batteries I use on the boat are rated a minimum of 90ah. Just make sure the battery in good condition.

Car camping and boating makes available a big 12V battery to charge the PV. You don't want to pack one of these along on a backpacking trip.

Having enough charged standard cylindrical batteries at hand makes a lot of sense. If you are going to spend weeks off the grid consider solar charging or running a generator.

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
Yeah, I was wondering about my car battery (which is pretty old) when I first tried camping and vaping. I started the car a couple of times to let its battery get charged again, but it seemed to me that the PV charging wasn't draining it at all. Next time I went I didn't bother starting the car at all over a few day trip... no problem.

JQside

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Canada
That's why it's better to buy e-cigs with removable batteries. Buy E-Power, or equivalent, instead of KGO, or equivalent for instance. You don't have to worry about replacing the whole unit if it stops working.

14650 batts are relatively cheap and I got lots of them. I bring enough when I'm out and about. 14650's are probably among the best small batts out there, in my opinion. With LR cartos, I don't need a big VV mod.

Huuwap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
Idaho
www.huuwap.me
I was worried about my first camping trip as a new vaper last summer... I picked up a car lighter/usb adapter from harbor freight for $5, and it worked out great.
I just went on my first camping trip of the year week before last. My battery / mod options are kind of limited - I have 4 slim batteries that I never use (got them for my wife, and she decided just quitting was better than vaping...weird I know), a KGO and my ProVari with 2 18490s. All I can say is thank god I got one of these for Christmas: Portable Power 1150- DieHard-Automotive-Battery Accessories-Portable Power

The thing is a tank, and battery life is estimated at 1.5 hours with 100W power draw. The self checking battery level hasn't dipped under 100% since I gave it its first charge in January...though I really only used it to inflate an air mattress once for around 5 minutes, and had my Tenergy charger and one battery hooked up to it for around 3 hours. Awesome emergency power.

Anyway, figured I'd throw in another, probably less ideal solution...but you could totally plug a portable stereo into it for a few hours of music as well ;).

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have 3 of these things and they work super, be great to take just one camping to charge your ecigs, you can plug into the car cig lighter to charge also when the power cells deplete.

Amazon.com: New Trent iGeek IMP99D 9900mAh External Battery Pack and Charger for "The new iPad" the 3rd Gen ipad, iPad2, iPhone 4S 4 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch (1G to 5G), Android (Samsung Galaxy Note S S2, HTC Sensation EVO Thunderbolt, LG Optimus V), Black

External Batteries are the way to go when you don't have access to a plug or your car. Here's mine.

9800mah.jpg

9,800 mah. Got it on e-Bay NIB for about $25.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread