What do I need to know about using a reo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikinic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2012
Utah
Ok I have been vaping for a little over three years. I was totally off of stinkies for over a year and then slipped up and got hooked again. I kept vaping as well during that time. I have played a little with rebuilding my own coils about two years ago and really just didn't like doing it. Up until about a month ago I was strictly a carto tank girl. More recently I have been using my Ego One and I love it.

All that being said I have been eyeing Reo's since the beginning. I have never used a BF mod, not even sure I would like it. However I still want one. I have lurked on this sub forum for awhile and honestly I only understand about half of what anyone says. Not only does rebuilding have its own language, but so do Reo users lol.

So what do I need to know about buying and using a Reo? Is rebuilding my own coils the best route? What if I am pretty sure I will get annoyed with rebuilding again? Is there another way to still get amazing flavor? What would you recommend for a first timer?

I am about to head to work (night shift) so I will check back when I get home. Please use small words and speak slowly if you give suggestions lol

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Hi Nicknic,

I guessing you were rebuilding for some kind of tank, they are pain in the __ to do. Building something like the Reomizer is much easier because of all the room.

The Reo with a good BF RBA will provide the ease of tank with the better flavor of dripping without all the hassles. The Reo is just about bullet proof. Drop it, run over it, leave it a cooler of ice and water, through from the 2nd floor at your grill. It still works.

Many people should pop into your thread who found that after a week making coils and wicking them is not a big deal and can be fun.

IF you've been reading hear for a while you've already seen the stellar customer service Rob provides and the great support from this community.

lamarrk

ECF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama (Rocket City), USA
Make sure the Reo has the sub-ohm kit (upgraded contacts). I have a Reomizer and it's an awesome little bottom fed atomizer. I recommend using cotton for your wicks.

Probably the hardest thing to learn is how to 'squonk' and it's not that hard. Once you get that down, you'll kick yourself for not getting one sooner.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Building coils doesn't have to be rocket science, and is about as easy as it gets on many of the bottom fed atty's. You'd get endless help here if you want it setting up your Reo AND BF atty to get the best of all worlds out of the Reo and joose(s) you like to run (FVT- flavor, vapor and throat hit). You can easily dive right in with minimal tools, supplies and expense, some may already be lurking in your home. Lots of ladies here that build their own, have the extra advantage of smaller hands/fingers than most men that makes it even easier for them.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Grab a sexy reo grand and a rm2 to get you started. Maybe 2 rm2s to play with as you'll want one runing as you practice making coils on the other experimenting or perfecting your coils.

Yes that super x drifter dude will teach you all you need to know to make perfect coils.

You want 28 awg kanthal A1 coil to start with. Grab a 100 foot spool. Make sure to grab koh gen do for your cotton.. hard to find stuff.. hopefully someone can point you in the right direction for that.

Coilmaster tool kit 5 in 1 is the tool of choice! Easy perfect coils everytime.

Aw 2200 mah 18650 batteries.. 3 would be a good rotation for a single device.

I promise you making coils today is way better and easier then it was years ago. And making coils for a rba atty is also easier to deal with and get working right then a dealing with a tank mod.

It may take a short time to get it down right where you have the coil at the right height and spacing from the air hole and right amount of wick for your coil. UT when it's right you'll know cause you'll be able to vape days on the same wick without changing rhe wick..

At first you may burn the wick if you forget to squank and run it dry, but once you get the hang of squankin every few hits to keep your coil wet, it will be second nature from there and you'll never have to think about it... be like auto squankin hehe.

This is vaping bliss!

Never a better time to buy a new reo with all the upgrades in the newest version.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Is rebuilding my own coils the best route? What if I am pretty sure I will get annoyed with rebuilding again? Is there another way to still get amazing flavor? What would you recommend for a first timer?
I must say, I started out vaping thinking there is no way on God's green earth that I would ever rebuild anything. But then I started out with a cheap kit, and wasted money. Then I went on and got a Nautilus Mini with a MVP2. Then I was unhappy with the Nautilus, and the COST of all those coils. ECF people came to my rescue, and sent me some stuff to get me started in rebuilding. I watched countless You Tube videos, and the people here were there for me, if I had questions. I have tanks, mech mods, drippers, and now REO heaven. Papaw tried to tell me from the start. But I made it here eventually. He pulled me in, and I am glad he did. So, making coils is not hard. Wicking is not hard. The taste is SO MUCH BETTER, and CHEAPER. I can send you some wick to get you started, if need be. I can help you, and give you pointers. I am not the most experienced, but I am willing to help. Most people on ECF will bend over backwards to help you. All you have to do is ask. You will need wick, wire, small screwdriver, or drill bit. Get a small precision screwdriver kit. AW batteries 1600 mah. (get a few, the Reo seems to go through a battery pretty quick on me) Get a battery charger. Get a digital multi-meter. (I have a cheap one somebody gave me for a gift, and it works great) Get something easy to build first. The RM2 might be the easiest of all. Start with a single coil, and then do a dual coil, once you have some practice. (or get the Atomic from Catfish Atty Mods)

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
Welcome Nikinic! Super awesome name by the way!!!
Rob G took the words right out of my mouth.
If you don't mind fussing with carto-tanks, and taking the time to prime them and all, you should be able to handle rebuilding atties for a REO.
I did the carto-tank thing for a while, and I have found that rebuilding with a REO is a much simpler process. Plus, you don't have to worry about dealing with bad cartos!
As others have said, there are a ton of atty choices for the REO, and most of them are quite easy to build. I've rebuilt ProTanks & Kayfuns, and again, building a BF atty is soooo much simpler. Building tanks always seemed like a chore to me. Building the REO has become a sort of hobby for me now!
Super X's videos are top notch, and you can see everything you need to know from him. Allot yourself some time, sit down with a drink, a beer, or some wine (if you do drink!), and enjoy learning about this great MOD, X's videos aren't short, his information is very thorough.

Judging by the banner in your sig, looks like you're half way there to the perfect vape!!

supersport13

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2013
United States
If you are anything like me you'll end up making coils just to try out all the different combinations of wire size, number of wraps, inside diameter, single/dual/triple twisted wire, etc.. There nothing like that first vape after installing a new coil and wick! :headbang:

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
It all sounds complicated. It isn't. Just getting a REO, even with just a carto on top is SO much easier and better than almost anything else you've tried. That said, though, building your own coil is simple, easy, and will take your vaping to a whole new level. Just to show you how easy it can be, HERE is a video Robert (Mr. REO himself, aka Redeyedancer) made to show folks how to get started.

Don't forget to check the blemished mods on his site, most folks can't even FIND the blemish, and remember, there's tons of folks here to help you with any questions you have or problems you run into.

REOs are simple, easy, nearly indestructible, and about the best vape you can have. Just prepare to suddenly find you won't be looking for "something better" any more, trust us, REOs are IT!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Me too - I tried and failed at rebuilding a couple times, and was pretty happy with a carto-tank on a ProVari. Heck, I still am.
But I loved the idea of squonking so I took another stab at rebuilding with a REO - now it's my primary device. The coiling of a wire is more forgiving when you don't need a vacuum to wick - you're going to soak it every few puffs anyway - so it's just some wraps and a little wisp of cotton, and you'll get fantastic flavor. After a while it may become fun to rebuild, too...

Anyway - I say GO FOR IT.
And 100 people will tell you to start up with an RM2 - which is a good idea - it's easy to build on and a "tighter" draw, which is probably what you're used to.

Worst case - you'll get almost all your money back if you sell it, but it's about 100 times more likely you'll end up saving for another one instead.

:D:cool::D

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
i echo what everyone else has said

when choosing your rda, small chamber [attie size] packs flavour, large chamber packs vapor... it can be a trade-off

many very experienced reo users here, and many started out as "hooples" [people who bork things frequently] symptoms of being a hoople include button-mashing [pushing too hard on the button] and not yet mastering squonking [just for some reo language]

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I'll give sxmxdrifter a shoutout on this like people did above. He has videos on pretty much everything Reo. How to clean it, how to build coils on various atty's. What to buy for beginners. I recommend the mod, not sure the best atty for you, a spare spring at least incase you have a short you won't be without a mod.

Building coils isn't that hard, after 1-2 coils, it becomes second nature. I can sit there and bust out a dual coil setup in 5 minutes if I don't get distracted by something haha. Plus depending on your juice and if you like the initial build you wouldn't have to change coils for a month possibly. I have about a month on my coils. With finals coming up, I've been spending more time with my head in an algebra book so I haven't rebuilt anything except a new atty that isn't bottomfed that I did a video on.

Nikinic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2012
Utah
Wow you guys are all awesome!! So much information (that i can actually understand) thank you! I am going to check out the videos and look around more, but I will for sure be buying a Reo. Thank you for all the suggestions and even the offer of wicks. My oldest son rebuilds so he has plenty to help his old mom out. I have heard (and read) what a great group of people you guys are and you have not disappointed. I have also been told that I just have to taste my NT juice in a reo lol. Again thank you and I will be back with many questions I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread