Status
Not open for further replies.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
I give them a Southern Sweet smile and a "that's nice" and carry on.

I have encountered this from a couple "resistant to quitting" smokers, and that's nice :p that's THEIR issues and there's no arguing with stupid yah know?

a2PPG3e_460sa_v1.gif

LowLyfe

May 7, 2014
GA
My boss makes comments all the time about it being stupid and how he disapproves of my oil smoking as he calls it but he also never saw me smoke because I didn't so it around work to be professional. So I can understand that he doesn't understand. I really don't care either way everyone that knows me outside of work thinks it awesome that I've made the switch and knows it's better for me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk Pro

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
My boss makes comments all the time about it being stupid and how he disapproves of my oil smoking as he calls it but he also never saw me smoke because I didn't so it around work to be professional. So I can understand that he doesn't understand. I really don't care either way everyone that knows me outside of work thinks it awesome that I've made the switch and knows it's better for me.

Sounds to me like your boss needs a lesson about behaving professional. It is not professional to say that to you.

Trevisan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
New England
I am running into the "you haven't REALLY quit smoking" folk quite a bit this summer. I try to educate them, and if that doesn't work, whatever... it doesn't really matter to me. Well, I guess it does a little to be honest , it has been a major accomplishment to kick my 30 plus year smoking habit and I RESENT it enormously when people try to take that away from me. Just don't go there, fool...:)

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
I usually say
to family:
nothing, just a big shrug
or
it's better than cigs, do you want me to go back to cigs? do you want me to weigh 800 lbs?
or
I think nicotine is good for you (lol, they find that shocking)
of course my family knows I will do as I please so they usually don't say anything :)

to strangers
why do you care what I do
or
do you want to take care of me when I'm 150 and refuse to die?
or
it's still a free country

if they say I haven't quit smoking, I just give them a blank stare.

I do think some nicotine is good for us. I don't consider myself addicted to the nicotine (I use between 3-6mg) , I am addicted to the hand to mouth thing (hence the 800 lb answer)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
He's a doctor he thinks he can do whatever he wants. I told him different last week, it's nice to be in a position where you can stay or go and it won't effect your life at the time. I haven't always been that comfortable in life.
Well, if you're that comfortable with speaking your mind to your boss...

Tell him that when he refers to vaping as "oil smoking" he sounds extremely ignorant.
There is no "oil" in what we vape.

Propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG) are both alcohol-based products.
vaping any oil-based products would be extremely unhealthy and could lead to lipoid pneumonia.

And you say he's a doctor?
:facepalm:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I usually say
to family:
nothing, just a big shrug
or
it's better than cigs, do you want me to go back to cigs? do you want me to weigh 800 lbs?
or
I think nicotine is good for you (lol, they find that shocking)
I think too many vapers are far too timid.
Perhaps because they have been beaten down for so long.

I love that you are challenging their belief system and "shocking" them.
We all should be doing that.

Give someone a "shock" today.
Make them think.

Maybe they will try and do so research to prove you wrong.
And then they will find for themselves that THEY are the ones that are wrong.

LowLyfe

May 7, 2014
GA

Tell him that when he refers to vaping as "oil smoking" he sounds extremely ignorant.

Propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG) are both alcohol-based products.
Vaping any oil-based products would be extremely unhealthy and could lead to lipoid pneumonia.

He knows exactly what we vape because he has jugs of PG in the back from before I started he calls it oil to be an ... which is how he is about stuff he doesn't agree with... we all know how he is so I don't let it bother me but he just goes above and beyond to go against it.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

Vaping any oil-based products would be extremely unhealthy and could lead to lipoid pneumonia.

I echo your :facepalm:...

My own doctor was extremely encouraging when I brought up my interest in trying e-cigs so I could finally get off cigarettes. He even turned around as he was leaving the room and made a point of wishing me luck with them. He's been my asthma doc for nearly 20 yrs, all thru my cutting-down from 2+ pks a day to less than 1, and knows how I've struggled with it.

Apparently he's one of the enlightened who realize that ANY way you can quit smoking is a good thing.

Andria

dmetzcher

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
California, USA
Three things immediately come to mind.

1. Some people feel the need to poke their noses in the business of others.
  2. Some people feel the need to criticize others. The call it "helping", and that may be true some of the time, but often they are simply negative people looking to pile their negativity onto others.
  3. I don't feel the need to explain myself to non-family members. They may believe what they want to believe. I might say, if I want to discuss it with them, that, "I haven't smoked a cigarette for several years now, and my first vape was my last cigarette. I enjoy vaping, and I'll continue to do it until I don't." End of story.

My opinion is that people who allow themselves to to be tricked into believing that they owe explanations to others (other than their spouses and perhaps their children) -- for legal behavior that harms no one else -- are in need of a fresh perspective. Yes, explaining something to your immediate family (spouse and children) is necessary and helpful in maintaining a healthy family relationship because you live with those people and care what they think of you, and they are entitled to know what is in the vapor you are blowing throughout the house (and they may be entitled to ask you to do it outside if the vapor bothers them), but everyone else should simply mind their own business and worry about their own lives.

My boss makes comments all the time about it being stupid and how he disapproves of my oil smoking as he calls it but he also never saw me smoke because I didn't so it around work to be professional.

Your boss sounds like he's fond of poking his nose where it doesn't belong. It's not for him to understand. It's really none of his business at all, and he's not entitled to any explanation (you, however, are entitled to a workplace free of his personal views on non-work-related topics). He sounds like #1 and #2 in my list above. My advice is that you explain to him (unless you feel that it will negatively affect your job, in which case you should just ignore him and change the subject) that, "Vaping helped me quit smoking, and your negative comments very discouraging. I don't understand why you would discourage me from doing something that is significantly less harmful (if harmful at all) than smoking cigarettes. I would really appreciate it if you would stop, as my personal use of a vaporizer does not affect my job performance." Sometimes, people simply need to be given a new view of themselves from someone else, and they will feel embarrassed enough that they change their behavior. As I said, though, it's not worth risking your job. If you don't have that sort of relationship with your boss where you can speak to him that way, it's best to just ignore him or change the subject to something work-related immediately.

Being someone's boss does not entitle anyone to comment on personal behavior that does not affect performance in the workplace. Some people have the attitude that they can make whatever comments they want simply because they are "the boss", but they aren't living in reality.

Last edited:

LowLyfe

May 7, 2014
GA
He's that kind of boss he think he owns you but I've known him since I was quiet young and now I'm 20 so we have a good relationship work wise and outside of work we are fairly good friends so you can say... we go on fishing trips and hunting trips in spare time but he is so against it like it would blow your mind. My buddy who also works with me started vaping before I did to quit dipping and he failed and I started not long after him because I had someone to try it with me but I went the rda/mech route and he the clearo/ego route. Well all the comments and negativity didn't start until I started vaping and he would make little remarks like how is the oil smoking going and I would say my vaping is going just great and he would hush a few weeks. Then last week he went full blown out on the subject that me and the other guy were talking about not him saying it's stupid to do something your not even addicted too. So I turned around and said "say you, who obviously knows nothing about what your talking about" and went back to what I was doing and he has yet to make anymore comments about the subject. Like stated he knew I smoked in the past like before I worked for him but didn't know I still did while I did work for him. I've told him in the past my struggle to quit and he knew I started dipping but again he just sees what he want and thinks what he will. So honestly I don't let it bother me, I am his personal assistant and am safe in my job so we have our fusses but nothing ever job threatening. It just would be nice to have more people open minded to my vaping. I live in the deep south and most people around here are trash with the exception of some. I'm sure everyone deals with this kind of stuff in some form or fashion.

dmetzcher

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
California, USA
As long as you do what makes you happy and don't waste time worrying about how others feel about it, you'll be fine. I've gotten some negative comments from friends (even smokers), but my reply is always the same: "Mind your business. I'll do what I'm happy doing."

Good luck to you! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
Sometimes I wear it around my neck on a lanyard, and when I do, I've gotten more stares at my chest than I ever got, even when I was young enough for anyone to care what my chest looked like -- there never has been much there to stare at -- till I added an e-cig on a lanyard! :D

But if I'm outdoors, I vape as I please, and ANTZ idiots had best be prepared for my response if they harass me for it. ;)

Andria

Guess ill have to wear a landyard near my midsection...:evil:

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Interesting thread. I've only had one person tell me it was worst than smoking. Said she heard it on the radio.:facepalm: I shut her down with facts but she was young. Other than that I've only had a few dirty looks. But those I just ignore. I'm carful about where and how I vape. Not because I worry about what someone will say. I'm just being considerate about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread