What does it Really Smell Like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbolack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2009
Tulsa
On some of the flavors, my friends can smell it if they are closeby.
Or if we are in a very enclosed area, like inside a car.
So I try to be considerate, especially with the tobacco flavors, which they seem to smell more than the others.
On the other hand, I was in a convention center all last weekend, and while I was indoors, I vaped my mint flavor almost exclusively, and nobody smelled it at all unless we were discussing it and I blew it directly into their face so they could try to smell it.
(I never do that without warning them, btw.)
My chocolate flavor was another one that they smelled if they were closeby, as was my strawberry.
Myself, I wouldn't try to vape at work undetected. I'd be upfront and tell.
I was amazed at all of the people who came up to me and asked questions when they saw the Prodigy hanging around my neck. It was very cool. And I didn't get a single negative comment all weekend.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
That's a good question...

Back when these things were kind of weak, nobody could smell them.
And the vapor dissipated very quickly.

But with the models available now, if you want a lot of vapor, then you'll get a lot of vapor.
Then it will hang around a lot longer.
And it will smell just a bit.

My wife can sometimes smell what I'm vaping these days.
Especially if I aim my cloud of vapor towards her.

But she doesn't care, because it smells good, and she knows it won't harm her.

If you really want to avoid vapor clouds, hold it in then blow it out down your shirt.
You'll have no problems with smell that way either.

Last edited:

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
The smell is very faint. My wife only smells it when we are in the car with the windows rolled up. I was vaping some chocolate e-juice in the car, and she cursed me out a little because it made her crave chocolate. :D

I stealth vape in my cubicle at work all the time, and no one knows. I don't dare let folks know, or they'll ban it for sure. I even was bold and stealth vaped a little in a meeting with about 20 other people in a conference room. I just wanted to see if I could get away with it. I was nervous as heck, but no one was the wiser.

freaknormal

Aug 30, 2009
Dallas TX
Like everybody else has said, it does depend on what flavor you vape as to what it smells like. But I have yet to find a liquid that has any offensive odor. I vape all day at work and so does the guy in the cube next to me. Every now and then a coworker will make a crack about "No Smoking Inside!" but it's just in good fun. No one has ever made any comment about being able to smell it unless I blow it in their direction within close proximity, then the comment is usually something like "Wow, that kinda smells like shisha (hookah)".

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
RY4 is the only one that really lingers on you. Hubby says it smells like pipe tobacco (like he would know..he still smokes a bit!) Daughter says it smells like raspberry. The rest of my flavors they don't even notice!
Even people who are never around smoke don't seem to smell it. I was in a room full of non smokers (friends) the other day and they were asking about my 901..I showed them and nobody said they could smell it..but they like the blue glow on the end!:D A few asked where to find them for friends!

MrKai

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
Alameda County, CA
If you can smell it at all it DEFINITELY does NOT smell like a cigarette if that is what you are worried about.

Man...I was walking out of the grocery store Sunday and this lady was outside doing the smoking thing outside they make ya do and I looked at my wife (non-smoker, never smoked) and said:

"Wow. Was it THAT bad?!"

"Yeah. It really was."

"I'm really sorry about that."

I mean I was like "whoa!" because I don't spend time around smoke anymore. I guess we just got so used to it or something.

Sorry for the tangent, but if you are worried about "smelling like smoke/like you've been smoking" it just isn't like that. I wouldn't be sneaky, tho.

-K

Nestran

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Rhode Island
If you can smell it at all it DEFINITELY does NOT smell like a cigarette if that is what you are worried about.

Man...I was walking out of the grocery store Sunday and this lady was outside doing the smoking thing outside they make ya do and I looked at my wife (non-smoker, never smoked) and said:

"Wow. Was it THAT bad?!"

"Yeah. It really was."

"I'm really sorry about that."

I mean I was like "whoa!" because I don't spend time around smoke anymore. I guess we just got so used to it or something.

Sorry for the tangent, but if you are worried about "smelling like smoke/like you've been smoking" it just isn't like that. I wouldn't be sneaky, tho.

-K

Right. I have new respect for my non smoking coworkers in that they never said how I stunk. If I get within a cube distance of the smokers it's the first thing I notice. I imagine smoking, even when you are not doing it, must really affect first impressions. You stink all the time.

Nestran

mcl5000

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
Allentown, PA
The vapor really only smells immediately out of your mouth/nose/whatever. I'd say if you can see the vapor, you can smell it. It isn't a strong scent, or bad either. If I had to bet, I'd say 95% that would smell it wouldn't associate it with any type of cigarette or nicotine.

Some flavors smell more than others, but again, they don't linger longer than the vapor does (which is only a second or two). It also doesn't travel further than the vapor does.

I vape in my office and people that walk up have no idea.

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
They tend to smell like the flavor they are. I'm just getting out of a "fruit phase" and into a "chocolate and baked goods phase" so my friend tells me it smells like a fruit basket when I'm vaping the fruit stuff and a bakery for the "warmer" flavors.

Angus said:
The smell is very faint. My wife only smells it when we are in the car with the windows rolled up. I was vaping some chocolate e-juice in the car, and she cursed me out a little because it made her crave chocolate.

LOL, I was vaping while electronics shopping with a friend. Around midday he said we had to stop and get something to munch on so he took us into a Dunkin Donuts. While in the line waiting to order he says to me, "I've been craving a doughnut all day and I don't know where it came from.".... I had been vaping cinnamon roll and english toffee all day right next to him. Later in the day he finally figured it out hehehe.

Wellner

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I've had comments from smokers and nonsmokers alike can faintly smell my Marlboro flavor, as well as apple. Neither of them were offensive, as I've been told. The nonsmokers didn't even mind the Marlboro one. But that was only when I was vaping right next to them. Yes, I don't have boundaries for normal social conduct.

Lloyd

Sep 27, 2009
Wow seems like there is a lot of different 'smells' out there.

I recently started vaping. I have made a point of smoking it around other people indoors, in cars, elevators etc. (I always ask permission first) No one has told me that is has any kind of offensive odor at all. There is definitely a 'smell' it seems rather sweet though, not at all like cigarettes. In fact when I vape around smokers now, I get overpowered by the cigarette smell, I am not used to it anymore.

My clothes don't stink anymore, my wife says my breath doesn't stink. So to me there is very little smell, and what there is seems rather pleasent.

1inchgroup

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
What do e-cigs really smell like. Would you be able to Vape in a room without anyone smelling it?

Could you Vape in your office undetected?

Does it take some time to clear out??????

No one has complained about the actual act of vaping in the office...but I did get surprised by Personnel today.

Turns out there's a few people that asked a lot of questions, acted excited with me about my new find...and then turned around and submitted complaints about me having the nicotine liquid in the office. Not vaping it. Having it....because it could kill a dog or small child. OMG! He's a crazy serial killer and we're all gonna die....he's acting all weird and ordering stuff from China! For the children...please stop the madness!

Yeah. I think it has something to do with me putting my weenie somewhere it shouldn't have been....but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread