What does "protected battery" mean?

Discussion in 'Thag Built / The Chuck' started by skywalk, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skywalk

skywalk Senior Member

hi folks, what does it mean when a battery is "protected?"

what are the pros and cons of protected vs unprotected?

I read the sticky thread about "use unprotected batteries at your own risk" and started worrying. How do you tell if your batt is protected or not?

thank you

2. DinosaurVapor

DinosaurVapor Moved On

The batterys say "protected" when you buy them, compnies specify.

I also think that colors may matter??? =/

Unprotected batteries are a bit cheaper but, rarely, they can literally explode

3. skywalk

skywalk Senior Member

colors matter how?

explode?!?! holy cra....... ok no unprotected anything for me, batteries or otherwise! ;)

4. DinosaurVapor

DinosaurVapor Moved On

yah unprotected is just an all around bad idea

5. JeannieB360

JeannieB360 Super Member Verified Member

Colors matter to some extent, but only within the line/brand of batteries. My original 18350's are unprotected, and thay are yellow/orange; my new ones are protected and they are royal blue.

But I'm reasonably certain I saw both unprotected and protected versions of one brand of 18650's that were both red, but they had different patterns of black and white stripes.

If you look at the negative side of a protected battery, you MIGHT be able to see the outline of a little printed circuit card under that bottom 'cover'

6. skywalk

skywalk Senior Member

the shop lady was trying to explain to me what protected and unprotected means to me yesterday and she was explaining in chinese, which kinda went way over my head. If she had merely said "unprotected could explode" i'd have been most happy to leave it at that. :)

7. prof beard

prof beard Super Member

Most protected batteries are only protected against under/over charge, some are also protected against short-circuit. Used PROPERLY in an e-cig and charge in a PROPER charger (which has protection built in), problems with unprotected batteries should be VERY rare indeed - many reported problems (I'm not saying all) are caused by "misuse/mischarging".

8. skywalk

skywalk Senior Member

thanks. Still, I think i'll stick to protected batts from now onwards. it's barely a few bucks more expensive here.

9. fatalis

fatalis Senior Member

Supporting member
    Can I buy these batteries anywhere? Like Radio Shack or Best Buy? :)

10. Houdini

Houdini Ultra Member

Here's what the protection circuit looks like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Elendil

Elendil Assclown Exterminator Verified Member

Supporting member
    A protected battery is not always necessary if the PV and the charger have protection built in. (Like the Janty Stick)...............

12. DinosaurVapor

DinosaurVapor Moved On

most of the time no....

but you live in a big area, look up the chain store "Batteries Plus"

There is on on South Sepulveda Street in Culver City

13. Sign-Man

Sign-Man Senior Member

Adding to Houdini's post:

The voltage of a Li-poly cell varies from about 2.7 V (discharged) to about 4.23 V (fully charged), and Li-poly cells have to be protected from overcharge by limiting the applied voltage to no more than 4.235 V per cell.

Overcharging a Li-poly battery will likely result in explosion and/or fire.

Personally speaking for myself I would have a problem constantly thinking about having a potential explosion and/or fire hanging in front my face..

Use protected batteries always!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.