What exactly is happening with the throat when vaping 100% VG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rival11

Oct 31, 2010
New York
I'm noticing a weird issue that occurs from time to time where it literally feels like my throat is closing up. It primary happens when vaping 100% VG (I use the johnson creek domestic juice (my fav) with their vea e-cig (standard tanks) - it' really is a terrible feeling but I'm also starting to think that with the recent passing of a loved one....it also has something to do with it (psychosomatic stress, taking on their pains in my head).

BUT the core reason for this thread is: What is actually happening when mucus is being created in the throat from VG irritation??? Is it simply just the body not liking it and immediately producing mucus to protect the throat or is it a case of instant acid reflux (where the body instantly produces more mucus to protect as well)?? I am going to switch to a mix of johnson's creek original brand which is PG based and still keep vaping the domestic brand - I'm just going to mix 70/30 or so.

I just want to know if anyone has an answer to the question above. I'm getting the scope done soon - I don't have any burning at all and my reflux has improved 10 fold (I went from finishing a bottle of those alka-seltzer fruit chews in a couple of days to just 2 or 3 tablets a day) since going to a much weaker device (small 650 mah battery - the JC vea) and I now have to stay at this power - the panic attacks and reflux from going to anything beyond these batts was unbearable for me and I'm paranoid about any damage I may have done to my insides.

rival11

Oct 31, 2010
New York
For anyone interested...I THINK I know a little of what may be happening. I have been under the assumption that mucus from vaping all VG is from acid re-flux (silent re-flux as there is no burn) but I'm now starting to think it's due to the glycerin itself reacting with the body.

Yes I know glycerin is NOT sugar but DIGESTED glycerin WILL change into a sugar in the body when it’s digested through the system (I took that line from a website) the thing is though and obviously...there's no digestion taking place. So I really am thinking there is some reaction from when the glycerin is heated by the e-cig and shot into the throat. Mucus color is anywhere from mild white to thick white - this also explains lung aspiration with the more your vape all VG.

Just theories and thoughts - I do know that nicotine causes re-flux so it's definitely a contributor - I'm jsut glad I will finally be mixing PG and VG soon from here on out. HOPEFULLY it stops.

Gazoo2You

Nov 28, 2015
For anyone interested...I THINK I know a little of what may be happening. I have been under the assumption that mucus from vaping all VG is from acid re-flux (silent re-flux as there is no burn) but I'm now starting to think it's due to the glycerin itself reacting with the body.

Yes I know glycerin is NOT sugar but DIGESTED glycerin WILL change into a sugar in the body when it’s digested through the system (I took that line from a website) the thing is though and obviously...there's no digestion taking place. So I really am thinking there is some reaction from when the glycerin is heated by the e-cig and shot into the throat. Mucus color is anywhere from mild white to thick white - this also explains lung aspiration with the more your vape all VG.

Wonders how that all worked out for you?
Almost 3 weeks later, any positive changes with a change in VG/PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread