Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
SS has a lower resistance than Kanthal. A 24G wire might well be below where you can build and still end up with a reasonable resistance, especially in a dual coil build. As the resistance isn't even all that important if you're using this for TC, I would simply build to what is likely to work best with you mod. If you're using 316L SS, which has a very low TCR, a build with a total resistance of 0.3 ohm or higher will likely work best. On dual coil builds, I typically use 28G with a 3 mm ID and a total resistance of ~0.5 ohm. For example, building to an example 1 ohm single coil setup, 24G Kanthal would require ~10 wraps on a 3 mm jig, while 24G 316L would require a coil with over 20 wraps.

Of course as you can use SS in wattage mode as well, you can keep that in mind when deciding what resistance you're going for. I keep 26G and 28G SS in my stock of wire.

Reactions: Burnie

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The only detail that does bug me with SS's low resistance is how it impacts battery life. That's one of the details I do worry about. Going higher in gauge is a solution but then you start getting into buildability issues... dunno balancing act
The watts you've set the mod to determine the battery life, not the resistance. However, beefier coils and thicker wire usually require higher watts and that results in lower battery runtime.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

EarnestAccord

Dec 18, 2015
Hmm.. I'm no expert, but I thought a lower ohm build pulls more amps. Couple that with a potentially lower heatflux and thus increased wattage setting to accomodate, it in all drains a battery a bit faster.
I have two RTA's with different builds. One has a 28g .75ohm build and the other a 24g .2ohm build. I mostly run them both @ 30watts. Using them during one of my typical work week routines the .75ohm will last me from 7a-10p consistantly. The .2ohm build rarely makes it past 8p. That's not even accomodating for the lower heatflux the 24g/.2ohm has. If I do that, say I'm really wanting my Vanilla Custard to pop with flavor, the battery won't make it past 6p.
Dunno, I'm not fluent enough in all this lay this all out mathematically, but it seems pretty real to me..

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
Amps pulled on a regulated mod have nothing to do with resistance. Equation is I = P/V where V is the battery charge (not what the mod delivers). Watts are watts on a regulated. But, yes, if you have a lower resistance wire, you will (probably) run it at a higher wattage to get vapor/flavor where you want it. So you'll most likely get less battery runtime the lower you go.

Reactions: KenD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread