What happens in case you charge a disposable e cig or can i even charge it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hi Henric - no, don't try recharging a disposable. You are risking a battery meltdown. Disposable ecigs may not contain a rechargeable battery inside, so trying to recharge them is risking a serious accident.
Look at getting a decent rechargeable ecig battery - its a better investment in the long run.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Every single "disposable" ecig I've bought ( at least 10 different ones by now) all had standard fare rechargeable batteries in them. I'd be really surprised if one DIDN't use a rechargeable battery. We need batteries that are around 3.7v, can put out decent current, have a decent capacity, AND be tiny enough to fit into something about the size of a cigarette.

Rechargeable Li-ion batteries are the cheapest and easiest way for them to do this. I can't even think of another type of non-rechargeable chemistry batteries of this size that would/could be used.

So why are they sold as disposables? So you throw it away and buy another one. Perhaps also they are QC rejects that can't be sold as rechargeables due to a limited lifespan.

I'm currently using "Logic" cigalikes as my "going to the bar" vape. Because Njoy Kings are getting too expensive and I don't want to make any of my nice PVs out when I'm drinking. And because I suggested a local independent corner-market carry ecigs, they started selling Logics, and I felt like supporting them.

Anyway they only carried "disposables" at first. I had several dead batteries sitting around that I couldn't charge because I couldn't find a 4081 charger online, but luckily the same place started selling a rechargeable kit. I used the charger and charged up all my old dead "disposable" batteries. I've been using the same 2 for several months now, each has got to have over 30 charges on it (I generally use/charge at least 1 per day) and are still going strong. The only difference is the LED on the battery doesn't light up when charging. It's actually a pretty good deal too, I like their cartos (horizontal coil) and the disposables are 10 bucks. Ten bucks for a new battery and carto is a decent deal as far as cigalikes are concerned. Logic also sells a 5-pack of the disposables on their site for a good deal. Compared to most all other rechargeable cigalikes you can run these super cheap, simply because you can take advantage of them and use the disposables as rechargeables.

I also have an Xhale O2 disposable that I've been recharging. It really doesn't get much use since it's a M401, the "carto" that came with it sucks, and I really don't care to hunt down any decent attys or cartos for it. But the battery is still good after a few charges.

i actually charged up several Njoy kings too, now that's a much more complicated process as it's a one piece unit, so I have to manually attach wire leads to the circuit board to charge it up. Works great though! It's a huge hassle however, if I can find an easier way to do it I'll just exclusively use recharged Njoy Kings (as my bar/drinking vape that is)

If you want to be 100% safe you could bust one open and make SURE it's a rechargeable battery inside, but I'd bet money you'll never find one that isn't.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Every single "disposable" ecig I've bought ( at least 10 different ones by now) all had standard fare rechargeable batteries in them. I'd be really surprised if one DIDN't use a rechargeable battery. We need batteries that are around 3.7v, can put out decent current, have a decent capacity, AND be tiny enough to fit into something about the size of a cigarette.

Rechargeable Li-ion batteries are the cheapest and easiest way for them to do this. I can't even think of another type of non-rechargeable chemistry batteries of this size that would/could be used.

Of interest:
BAJ Website | Do not recharge lithium primary batteries

From what I've read some people, have recharged disposables. However some have found that they overcharge and become very hot, and others have noted the batteries are unprotected so need a protection circuit on a charging board. The consensus has been pretty much like in this thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/295065-safe.html

This thread is interesting:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-issues/329907-510-battery-meltdown.html
It was a disposable battery that was able to be recharged 3 times. It was possibly charged more than that. It resulted in a serious meltdown.

A good reason not to leave charging batteries unattended:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-so-my-freaking-battery-just-caught-fire.html

If you want to recharge disposables its up to you. I'm never going to recommend it though. The potential risk outweighs any benefits I can think of. A rechargeable ecig can be picked up pretty cheap from a lot of places, and shouldn't be left unattended while charging. New vapers are not going to know the differences between disposables when it comes to the batteries and how to try and recharge , and most won't understand polarity or charger capacities.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Of interest:
BAJ Website | Do not recharge lithium primary batteries

From what I've read some people, have recharged disposables. However some have found that they overcharge and become very hot, and others have noted the batteries are unprotected so need a protection circuit on a charging board. The consensus has been pretty much like in this thread:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/295065-safe.html

This thread is interesting:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-issues/329907-510-battery-meltdown.html
It was a disposable battery that was able to be recharged 3 times. It was possibly charged more than that. It resulted in a serious meltdown.

A good reason not to leave charging batteries unattended:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-so-my-freaking-battery-just-caught-fire.html

If you want to recharge disposables its up to you. I'm never going to recommend it though. The potential risk outweighs any benefits I can think of. A rechargeable ecig can be picked up pretty cheap from a lot of places, and shouldn't be left unattended while charging. New vapers are not going to know the differences between disposables when it comes to the batteries and how to try and recharge , and most won't understand polarity or charger capacities.

The charging circuit and monitoring is in the charger itself, not the ecig. There are exceptions to this such as passthrough batteries and the like, but generally there is no charging circuit built into the battery itself, as it would increase size and weight with no real advantage.

Disposables still have the same on board protection as rechargeables. Overcharging is not a factor or issue with the battery, it's an issue with the charger. Assuming you know that it's not a primary battery, and you are charging it at proper voltage and current, there is zero increase in risk from using the ones sold as rechargeable. Just because an ecig manufacturer calls something disposable doesn't mean it is. This is not ecig battery tech, this industry just adopted it from others. A rechargeable battery is a rechargeable battery regardless of what Blue, Njoy, etc etc say.

It's very possible there are some disposables out there that don't use rechargeable batteries, or that have some sort of inherent issue with recharging them. I have yet to see one. I can easily identify if it CAN safely be recharged. In these cases, the two models (disposable and rechargeable) are identical for all intents and purposes.

I'm speaking strictly of the models that are two piece units that are the same as their rechargeable cousins. The models that are one solid piece can generally also be recharged, but not easily or safely.

In order to recharge these you'd need to disassemble the unit, and attach leads. the chance of shorting something out is pretty high.

Like you said, there really is no need to recharge disposables. Full rechargeable kits are available for a few bucks more, or the same price as some disposables.

The only reason I recharge them is because I have so many sitting around, and I have available chargers that will work with them.

And I recharge my Njoy Kings because nothing rechargeable on the market is anywhere close to the Njoy King. Luckily it takes me about 30 seconds to hook a dead king up to my ghetto charging station I built, and a little while later I've got the most realistic ecig in existence, and I don't have to by 4 of them for 9 bucks a piece to get me through the day.

Also, the first thread you linked to just shows a bunch of people saying "don't do it" which is evidently based off nothing, as the specific model mentioned contains a normal rechargeable battery just like the "power series" (their rechargeable line)

The second thread isn't really relevant, as it was a model that was SUPPOSED to be recharged. There are kits out there that come with chargers, and are meant to be recharged, but are also meant to be disposable. That was one of those models. This goes to show even more that they aren't sold as disposables because they can't be recharged, they are sold as disposables (again generally speaking) because they are cheap, and most likely some of the lower performing batteries of the batch.

My main point is, the battery is either rechargeable, or its not. And that's dictated by the chemistry and design of the battery, not the economic and marketing whims of ecig manufacturers.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
The charging circuit and monitoring is in the charger itself, not the ecig. There are exceptions to this such as passthrough batteries and the like, but generally there is no charging circuit built into the battery itself, as it would increase size and weight with no real advantage.

Yes, I realize this.

It's very possible there are some disposables out there that don't use rechargeable batteries, or that have some sort of inherent issue with recharging them. I have yet to see one. I can easily identify if it CAN safely be recharged. In these cases, the two models (disposable and rechargeable) are identical for all intents and purposes.

This is the issue - you may be able to identify if it can be recharged, but a lot of new vapers wouldn't be able to. And its a concern if they try to recharge a model that poses difficulties and is risky.

And yes, a rechargeable ecig can be picked up for very little cost. Certainly much cheaper than smoking. So why take the risk - just get a rechargeable.

Luckily it takes me about 30 seconds to hook a dead king up to my ghetto charging station I built, and a little while later I've got the most realistic ecig in existence, and I don't have to by 4 of them for 9 bucks a piece to get me through the day.

But how many new vapers will know how to do this? Its probably easy to you, but not everyone knows about chargers etc.

Also, the first thread you linked to just shows a bunch of people saying "don't do it" which is evidently based off nothing, as the specific model mentioned contains a normal rechargeable battery just like the "power series" (their rechargeable line)

It was just to show there is a general consensus.

The second thread isn't really relevant, as it was a model that was SUPPOSED to be recharged.

It's very relevant Chuck, because it was only supposed to be recharged three times. And going past that - look what happened.
I don't think the Op was asking about ecig manufacturers marketing whims - and I still wouldn't recommend recharging disposables.

Last edited:

PRIMER

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
DENVER 303

Disposables still have the same on board protection as rechargeables. Overcharging is not a factor or issue with the battery, it's an issue with the charger. Assuming you know that it's not a primary battery, and you are charging it at proper voltage and current, there is zero increase in risk from using the ones sold as rechargeable. Just because an ecig manufacturer calls something disposable doesn't mean it is. This is not ecig battery tech, this industry just adopted it from others. A rechargeable battery is a rechargeable battery regardless of what Blue, Njoy, etc etc say.

I'm speaking strictly of the models that are two piece units that are the same as their rechargeable cousins. The models that are one solid piece can generally also be recharged, but not easily or safely.

In order to recharge these you'd need to disassemble the unit, and attach leads. the chance of shorting something out is pretty high.

Like you said, there really is no need to recharge disposables. Full rechargeable kits are available for a few bucks more, or the same price as some disposables.

The only reason I recharge them is because I have so many sitting around, and I have available chargers that will work with them.

And I recharge my Njoy Kings because nothing rechargeable on the market is anywhere close to the Njoy King. Luckily it takes me about 30 seconds to hook a dead king up to my ghetto charging station I built, and a little while later I've got the most realistic ecig in existence, and I don't have to by 4 of them for 9 bucks a piece to get me through the day.

The second thread isn't really relevant, as it was a model that was SUPPOSED to be recharged. There are kits out there that come with chargers, and are meant to be recharged, but are also meant to be disposable. That was one of those models. This goes to show even more that they aren't sold as disposables because they can't be recharged, they are sold as disposables (again generally speaking) because they are cheap, and most likely some of the lower performing batteries of the batch.

My main point is, the battery is either rechargeable, or its not. And that's dictated by the chemistry and design of the battery, not the economic and marketing whims of ecig manufacturers.

^verified truth^
If you can't wrap your head around rechargable batteries or polarity (simple concepts which only work one way) maybe analogs are more your speed...SAFER!

I have personally verified that METRO dispo is IDENTICAL to the rechargo, half the price-ish.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Ahem, please, please let's not suggest doing things that should not be attempted.

If you want to reuse and recharge your batteries, buy rechargeable.

When you buy disposable, use and dispose of them.

A lot of things can be done. That doesn't mean they should be done.

E-cigs and their safety are being constantly scrutinized. Let's not give our enemies ammunition.

Henric

Feb 7, 2013
USA
I still have some confusion because I am not getting proper replies what I want to get. I read in most of the replies that it will be better to possess decent rechargeable ecig batteries and some of you are explaining that it could be recharged with other chargers as it can get proper current from those ones too. So please help me out to get final answers like should I go for new charger for this particular ecig or the older ones could help it to be charged without any risk?

PRIMER

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
DENVER 303
That's what i did with METROS. I had the rechargo kit, It died while i was out so i bought the disposable of the same brand.
When I got home, plugged it right into the charger, and charged it countless times.
That said, there is some risk.
Fire, frying your battery and or charger, burning up cartos, personal injury or death, etc...

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Last edited:

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland

Very good points Kiwi, I'm not really disagreeing with you. If someone isn't comfortable doing something, then they shouldn't do it. I came into vaping with a fairly solid base of knowledge regarding electronics and mechanical things, so there wasn't any learning required in that respect for me.

However I do realize that many (if not most) new vapers are learning about this stuff through the use of ecigs, in this case it would be best to simply follow the manufacturer's instructions on what's rechargeable and what's disposable.

I likely should have added some more warnings and disclaimers and what not, but i hate it when people talk to me like I'm stupid, so I try to avoid talking to others like that, if you know what I mean. Just like I don't need a warning telling me my coffee is hot, or not to stop a chainsaw with my genitals.

Now I realize the people who could safely use the information I present would already know the stuff I'm saying. The ones who don't know it, and could use that info, are probably the same people who should not be attempting it.

So I do agree totally Kiwi, might as well play it safe in this regard, not only would I hate to be responsible for someone burning themselves or catching their house on fire, I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving the anti-vaping people another thing to hassle us about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread