What If You Caught Your Kid Vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThankU4Vaping

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2010
NJ
If I were a parent I would be a little upset (3/10) that my personal stuff was not respected by my underage kid. Zero nic cartomizers in pumpkin pie and eggnog should ensure it never happens again. I was a "krazie kid" myself and I would be relieved it wasn't something far worse.

My parents never smoked, yet all three of their kids started smoking as teens in the 70s. We actually hid our smoking from our parents into our adult lives. We all became vapers last year and adult orphans this year when our Mother passed. Kind of ironic how we three were secret smokers during our parents' lives, but we're vapers now. vaping 4 life I suppose!

BGabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Indiana
Age would definitely play a part of my being upset factor. I have a 5 yr old son and boy/girl twins that just turned 1! If they were in their teens, probably wouldn't be that upset, but I'm hoping my kids are responsible enough not to be curious. Oh, wait, every kid is like that!! I agree with some others that, if this is the worst thing they experiment with, I’d be OK. Once they reach a certain age let them try it. Or you could try the reverse psychology of making it available to them and letting them know it’s OK to you. Sometimes that changes their attitude about it, if they know you are OK with it, it tends to lose it’s luster of being fun and not playing by the rules. Of course, sometimes that back fires.

Iowa Gal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Central Iowa
My children are all now grown...but I believe I would have treated it no different than if they were smoking or drinking. It's against the law and I would not support it and they would be punished. (Now don't get me wrong... my kids did things they were not suppose to growing up just like I did...but if caught there was punishment). More than once my husband and I had to hide in the bedroom laughing after punishment was handed out...they kinda reminded us of ourselves:)

simba

Feb 16, 2009
Yukon, OK
My kids are in their late 20's and turned out pretty good. One's a PA the other PR. I say always ask questions first, listen closely, and go from there. Communication is a large part of raising kids. Without communication, you're just a dictator to them, and they will rebel. So, communicate, then use the info to manipulate them and they won't figure out what you've done until they've graduated from college or med school, married a great guy, and have two kids. Then they'll maybe thank you. Two more cents to add to the pot.

Ethereal

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2011
UK
I have 3 girls and worry more about the boys i'm going have to beat off with a bat when they grow up. Saying that girls can be pretty tough so maybe i'm worring too much. Seriously though I didn't smoke around my kids but now I vape in the house and I know i've got to stop so I don't influence them in anyway that makes them think anything but air is good for the lungs. As long as they do as I say and not as I do all will be fine.

Last edited:

skorpios1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
West Jordan, UT
Well....hmmm...my son first of all knows better. We have the kind of relationship that he wouldn't dare without my permission. However....if he did, I really don't think I'd be all that upset. I was smoking at his age, and a few years later worse. I'd rather catch him with my pv than a ciggy ANYDAY. Would he be in trouble...yep, but more so because he isn't supposed to have MY stuff and the fact that it is illegal for him to have it. There are worse things in this house he could get into....my liquor cabinet!!!! I'd kill him! And in full agreement with others that said that there are much worse things he could do than to vape:D

Actually had this happen - caught my 16 year old daughter with one of my batteries and a carto of 18mg juice. She caught hell for
1) getting into my stuff (a constant problem so I'm not letting it slide in a case like this)
2) it is illegal for her to have

I wouldn't have mattered if it was 0 nic. She knew the rules, the expectations, and consequenses, but chose to go ahead anyway. The punishment would have been lesser if we had not already established the ground rules beforehand, but #1 has been in effect since she was old enough to know the difference.

slappy

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago
I have 3 girls and worry more about the boys i'm going have to beat off with a bat when they grow up. Saying that girls can be pretty tough so maybe i'm worring too much...

I'm with you there. My daughter is 6 and already a heart breaker... :blink:
I don't vape around her, and hope she never catches me. But she will someday. At six she's already an anti-smoker, so good so far. But a 13 gods, I don't like to think about it. Got 7 years to prepare and don't plan to be vaping by then. Before that age, I'd be at an 8, more upset at myself for exposing her to it. Upset at her because we teach her now that smoking is disgusting and she doesn't know that vaping is different. @13 I'd be at a 10 because of the anti-smoking teaching from us for the previous 13 years. :p @16 about a 4, old enough to know better and old enough to decide for herself. Sure I can advise and hope and plead, put @ 16 if they are detemined there is very little to change it, try as I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread