What insulator should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W00fy

Mar 10, 2015
NC, USA
Hi! I have a question... Most insulators being used are PEEK, which seems to have a melting point at 343°C. That is not much higher than the 290°C needed to vaporize VG. So just how hot do the insulators get? Being a few millimeters away from the coil obviously helps, plus having the thermal mass of the metal contacts all around it, but can you melt your insulator quite easily, especially at sub-Ω, high-Watts? Are there any better choices that PEEK?

Thanks!

Mark

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
Peek seems to be the industry standard, I have a lot of atty that probably don't have peek, just some sort of plastic even, not even delrin, and they are fine. That being said I have also melted my share of them. Usually an old mod with a stuck button of dry firing or dry burning coils is what is hard on insulators. In general your insulator should be far enough away to stay fine. If you drop the ball and have a button stick, like in a tube mod with no safety for example you'll have trouble but during normal vapor your wicks will burn way before your insulator and you'll know when that happens and catch it before you melt anything. Keep your wicks wet and your coils off your posts and peek will be more than Cool.

I run 0.18ohm dual coil drippers on my bottom feeder mods that are jammin' voltage no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread