Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Some people are saying that, but I don't think the FDA is one of them. What the FDA have done is they have decided ("deemed" hence why they're called the "deeming regulations") that vaporizers are tobacco products, and that they shall be regulated as tobacco products. What that means for us is bad news. See, there's this law, that any tobacco product introduced onto the market after February 2007 must go through a costly "approval" process before it can be sold to consumers. Tobacco products on the market prior to February 2007 are exempt from this requirement. Now that our vaporizers are considered "tobacco products," they will have to go through the same costly (the application fee alone is roughly $1 million per product) approval process if they were not on the market prior to February 2007. Therein lies the rub -- none of the products available today were on the market in 2007. So they will not be allowed to be sold, without first seeking (and obtaining, which is another matter entirely) FDA approval.

PressPlayVape

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
CA
So as for right now there will be until about Aug. 10th for new products to continue being released, then no products can be released for the next 2 years and on Aug. 10th 2018 any product that hasn't been directly approved by the FDA will be banned from the market. This includes all components of Electronic Nicotine Delivery devices, from your atty to your mod and juices. Each juice will have to have each flavor approved at each nicotine level they intend to sell. The approval for these products is estimated to cost between $300,000 and $3,000,000 each(that's each flavor, each nic level for each juice for juice companies). Estimation as to who can afford these approvals based on their financial positions and projected sales is that it will eliminate almost all (99%) of the current products from the market.

Right now what you can do is right to your legislators urging them to support HR-2058 which would change the grandfather date from 2007 to now, this would allow a simpler process for products that are currently on the market to get approval. This would still likely mean we won't see many new products in the future, but at least the ones that are out now would be able to help more people quit in the future, I think we'd all agree that the devices we have now are sufficient for helping people stay off cigs so at least they'd have that.

CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
are they saying vaping is worse than smoking? Or what? I'm just a little bit confused lol
The FDA rules have nothing to do with science. The rules are for the purpose of discouraging you and all the rest of us from vaping. It's all because YOU are not paying your tobacco taxes like you used to. That is unpatriotic. Shame on you.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
are they saying vaping is worse than smoking? Or what? I'm just a little bit confused lol

You are not confused. They are confused.

Only vapers and people with nothing to lose or interested in health (without thinking about $$) say vaping is better than smoking.
Everybody else thinks it's way bad as smokers should quit or die trying.... and pay lots of tax to the government.

It is safer than smoking. Anyone who says otherwise is saying it because they are evil or can't afford to lose all the money smokers hand over to the government for an addictive product which sold legally they let us use.

It's a revolution. Revolution hurts the people with the most $$$ to lose. It makes people desperate and turns decent well-meaning folk into monsters. Sad, really.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I'm wanting to take up vaping I am still smoking 1-2 packs a day and am tired of it. If these regulations stand, do local vape shops have a chance to keep selling ejuice? I'd hate to see the only ecigs left be the ones sold by big tobacco, which are pieces of crap compared to others.

Robby, my advice would to be for you to get started now. The local shops will still have some time before they have to comply with these rules. Most of these rules are unconstitutional for one thing and many lawsuits are sure to follow.

Bottom line is that vaping works. Do yourself and your health a favor and give it a shot.

Good luck.

RobbyRocket

Aug 25, 2015
Yea that's what my friend told me he's been vaping forever I've been fascinated by it. I know some about it picking up stuff from him and watching youtube lol. If I purchase one, not sure if I should try a cheaper basic one first or go for a pricier better one with a good warranty. I like Puffco, Kandypen, and Dr Dabber but still not sure if they can be used for juice.

PressPlayVape

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
CA
Geez, just when I thought I was getting the hang of this, it looks like the rules might change. Should I start stock-piling supplies, or am I hearing that we will still be able to get supplies, they will just cost more?

No need to stockpile yet, everything that's on the market as of Aug. 10th will stay on the market for 2 years, that's a lot of time for lawsuits and legislation, I don't think as things stand now will be the final result. Call me an optimist but I won't be stockpiling until it looks certain and as of right now I can't see anything in these regulations that will stop DIY because the ingredients we use are fairly widely available for many other purposes than making e-liquid.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Geez, just when I thought I was getting the hang of this, it looks like the rules might change. Should I start stock-piling supplies, or am I hearing that we will still be able to get supplies, they will just cost more?
Most vape supply stores are merely "Mom & Pop" small businesses that won't be able to afford the FDA approval process, so they will likely go out of business permanently. Some of the larger and well-established warehouse suppliers may survive, but they will have to drastically cut down on the variety of current products available. Instead of selling 20 different mods, they'll probably sell only 2 or 3 types. So, your choice selection will be greatly affected. And prices will have to be greatly increased.

Look for little or no selection of flavored e-liquid. FDA wants candy, desert, and fruit flavors eliminated for fear they may be attractive to children. (Funny, I thought there were already laws in place to keep kids from vaping) :confused: Big Tobacco wants the FDA to ban "open container" eliquids (give Big Tobacco a monopoly), so the only nicotine eliquid available will be in non-refillable" cartomizers like Blu and Vuse.

Stockpiling may prove difficult. Most base nicotine suppliers were out of stock for weeks during the last "scare" by the FDA.

This FDA ruling is a worse case scenario. :(

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
as of right now I can't see anything in these regulations that will stop DIY because the ingredients we use are fairly widely available for many other purposes than making e-liquid.
What about the liquid nicotine? Unless you plan to go nicotine-free, you're going to be in deep S**T.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Honest answer, nobody knows. I do not believe any ban can or will be effective, but you may be buying your stuff on the black market, with attendant high prices and low quality. If you've to the money, it won't hurt to slam a tank and dripper or two plus a decent mech mod in a drawer and some nic in the freezer.

PressPlayVape

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
CA
What about the liquid nicotine? Unless you plan to go nicotine-free, you're going to be in deep S**T.

Honestly I'm not worried about it, it's so premature now that there's no point in even speculating what the options might be after the regulations go into effect in 2 years. While I know everyone is outraged right now and there's a lot of hysteria going on that they're banning everything, they're not. There will still be capitalism and there will still be a market for these products and companies that seek and get approval. None of us have any idea right now of what that path or what products will be available after the regulations take hold but a limited market means limited competition and there will be companies that fork over the money to be a part of that market. I'm not going underground with a lab just yet, I'll wait to see what's going to happen and make rational decisions when the information is clear on the best path available to continue vaping, if in 2 years it makes sense to stockpile nude nicotine then I'll do it then but to me it's all just spinning wheels to speculate now what the landscape will look like with all of the pending legislation and lawsuits that will be coming.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Vaping is Most Definitely worse that Smoking in the Eyes of about Every Federal Government Agency.

Because for every Pack of Cigarettes you Smoke, the Federal Government gets 1 Dollar and a Shiny Penny.

But you can Vape all you Want and the Feds get Zilch.

Said it in another post that I'm for some regulation but looks like what they put out is over the top and puts vaping ranked as a tobacco product. It's not. Not sure what it all means but looks like big government is coming for their cut of the biz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread