What is most prefered for RDA's coil wise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
i love sub ohming but since switching to an rda instead of a clearomizer i don't see any reason why i shouldn't stick to regular 1.0+ ohms. more higher ohms = more wraps = more surface area touching cotton but at the same time the current is taking longer to go through the wire itself.

i was wondering is their any "preferred" coil builds/ohm wise like 1.0+ ohms or sub ohming for rda's? mainly a flavor chaser but im talking about both aspects; flavor and cloud chasing or does it only depend on the user like a clearomizer would.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
It's user dependent, but also application dependent. I'm a flavor chaser, got various RDAs that reflect one of the 3 major roles of an RDA.

Small chamber/or very reduced chamber RDA = massive flavor, moderate cloud production even with a single coil (11 to 19mm)
Wide Chamber /w massive airflow = larger diameter coils for great wicking giving more juice to vaporize, massive airflow to keep it cool, loss of flavor but with the massive airflow and amount of juice being vaporized brute forces flavor through, massive clouds (22mm and larger, almost 5mm air holes or many airholes (ie like the Doge or Mutation)
Medium Chamber (19mm to 21mm) - Medium airflow, room to build semi larger coils, balance between the two above, good flavor, good cloud production

Coil configuration plays a hand here the most along with proper wicking, but I've got A7 Mini RDAs (11 to 13mm) I use on my Reo Grande with a single twisted 30awg 10/9 wrap at about 0.8ohms elevated over the posts and a single modified air hole in the side of the top cap, my 2nd most flavorful RDAs, my favorite is a Helios V1 with a simple center post, elevated 26awg dual coil at 0.65ohms, the next flavor RDA is my Derringer, twisted 28awg single coil at 1.1ohms, little bugger almost keeps up the the A7 flavor wise and my Patriots on vapor production where the Helios equals the flavor of the A7 but only has vapor production similar to one of my sub-tanks. Clouding RDAs, my Patriots I run twisted 26awg in on 3mm ID, ohming out at about 0.28 to 0.32 respectively, older but my Mutation with dual claptons can't keep up with them on vapor production on a mech for long, the Patriots will chuck longer where the Mutation with claptons sucks batteries dry in no time.

It's all about experimenting with what you have and what you know or can learn, nothing wrong with pushing the envelope a notch up from your current level, just do it safely and smartly ;)

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Your theory assumes to get higher ohms you just wrap more wire. In many cases ( in prebuilt stuff) the wraps usually dont change just the wire guage. By getting off super thick wire it takes much less energy to get hot, ramp up time increases, and heatflux is more balanced without needing 65 watts.(or more).

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
electrons energy move thru wire at pretty much the same speed of light, so a tad bit more wire isnt going to slow things down enuf to notice... but, since there is a bit more wire, it does take more time to heat it up evenly across the length

kinda like boiling a pot of water with 1/4 cup in the pot compared to a gallon :)

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
If you are looking for flavor you have the right idea - more surface area. It also makes bigger, denser clouds. Claptons are great for flavor, but they require a lot of power to heat up. Twisted, good but not as good, medium amount of power. Parallel coils seem to work best for me. Take 2 or 3 strands of thinner wire (i.e. 28G) and lay them flat next to each other. Wrap them like a single coil, keeping the strands flat and side-by-side. Works great for clouds AND flavor, uses a lot less power than a clapton. Each strand you use is like a separate coil for ohms law calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread