Status
Not open for further replies.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
JMHO - I think the vast majority of juices have this problem. I think it comes from the added flavoring. I notice the same taste when I use a flavoring in one of my baking recipes. :confused::confused::confused:

Barenetted....do you recall exactly which flavor and brand of flavoring ? That would help me to track down the specific chemical.

And actually....not all the time....but many times "technically" there is no detectable difference in the chemical structure of artificial and natural flavors. It's more important to understand that "natural" is NOT the same thing as healthy. Strychnine is natural...as is cyanide. And rattlesnakes :)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Sometimes I think there are people who just can't taste this perfume flavor.

On the other hand, maybe these places source their ingredients in different places at different times, or change their recipes in ways that inadvertantly either add or remove this perfume taste.

I do know this much, I can detect it extremely well, and I definitely tasted it just a little bit in my Nhaler HV French Vanilla Coffee, HV Peanut Butter Cup, and HV Chocolate Coffee tobacco. But I do not get any perfume taste in the HV RY4 or 555 juices. Well, at least none that stands out enough for me to notice.

After reading all the replies, at this point the only ones I feel safe about are Johnson Creek, Ecopure, and MyFreedomSmokes. I have NEVER had this perfume taste from any of their juices. I imagine the same goes for DIYFlavorShack since she used to work for MyFreedomSmokes.

Last edited:

smonomo

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
USA, Northeast.
I don't get that at all. No purfume taste to any of the 3 TV liquids I've tried. I think the "not strong after 2 weeks" was in reference to the flavor. I agree with that. I had to cut cinnicide when I first got it, now it's not nearly as good as it was.

The only liquids I've tried that had the purfume taste so far was Dekang tobacco flavors. Most anything else has been american made and had NO perfume taste at all.
I've had a perfume taste from TV tobacco, but I get zero perfume taste from Dekang tobacco flavors..

What a totally pointless thread this is :D

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
I don't think it's pointless at all....it just might take a real long time to gather enough information to come to a conclusion.

but I see your point :) It's so subjective.....we are all using the same word..."perfume"....but who knows if we are all tasting the same chemical?????

but hey...I've got time on my hands....I don't mind following the thread and trying to figure this out if it will help people...or even just someone.....be able to stop wasting money on stuff they can't vape! Man I hate that!!!!

vapingboy

Mar 30, 2010
chicago
Hi DC2 And fellow Vapers! ;)

I had started this thread, which is the same topic. Why the heck do some of these juices taste like perfume.

I'm trying a bunch of different vendors and I wanted to chime in here about my thoughts on TW juice. And here is how I would rate them:

So, here it goes: with the perfume taste on a scale of 1 thru 5.

TW - French pipe! Holy Moly! Is that stuff strong! It definitely tastes like strong pipe, french or not. Perfumey taste - 1.

TW - Virginia. Perfumey Taste - 4!!!!

TW - Hilton. Perfumey Taste - 2!!

So, even TW has this taste to it. It's subdued compared to other vendors, but it's there.

So, far I'm with DC2. Only JC (and I have only tasted Tenn Cured) juice does not have that taste!

Thanks

Pokeygizmo

Perfectly Imperfect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
South Carolina
I am really glad to see this thread, the "perfume" taste has been an ongoing battle for me since I started vaping. It was such a turnoff that I put my first PV away for 3 weeks before finding this forum and being able to research some other juices.

For me, "perfume taste" = rosy scented -soapy flavor. It actually reminds me of a rose flavored HORRIFIC candy I tasted as a child (it was Greek or Japanese candy, I can't remember which but I digress...)

Here's my 2 cents regarding juice that I've tried...

TastyVapor -- No perfume in Cafe macchiato, Butter Rum, and German Chocolate Cake 24mg nic juice and doublers

Ms. T's Bakery -- No perfume in Mint Chocolate Chip Cappucino and Vanilla Custard (8mg)

Halo -- No perfume in Menthol Ice, Cool, and Newpure (6mg and 12 mg Nic)

ELiquid Planet -- No perfume in Essence Menthol Ice (6mg nic)

V4L -- Strong Perfume in all juices I've tried, various nic strengths 4 - 18mg; all the menthols ( sampler pack, cool in a bottle, premium smilin'), peach, all coffee/espresso flavors, dark choc raspberry, english toffee and a few more various and sundry flavors generously sent as freebies. These were juices in bottles as well as pre-filled cartomizers. I cannot smoke their juice although I absolutely love everything else they sell -- their Kr808 batteries, blank carts, as well as their amazing customer service.

Hope this helps someone else out there!

Scorched

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2010
Denver, Colorado
The Flavors from VaporCountry I tried all have a type of perfume type of smell and taste I guess you could say. I have the Lemon, Menthol, Pineapple, and Peach. This was very unexpected and upsetting, it has a very strong sort of tangy aftertaste... hard to describe. Regardless, it does not taste good at all. You would have to smell/taste it for yourself. I would be willing to mail someone a sample if they would like, I'm hesitant to throw it away although I'm not using it.

The more I use them, the worse the taste gets. It's supposed to be monthol flavor... not nasty-... tangy .... flavor. Here is a list of the ingredients they use:

-Dimethyl Pyrazine (Natural oil used for flavor)
-Trimethyl Pyrazine (Oil based flavoring)
-D-Limonene (Oil produced from citrus rinds) *I suspect this is the culprit*
-Methyl Cyclopentenelone (Natural Kosher oil for more taste)
-Beta Demascone (Fregrence Oil) *This could be it, also*
-Proplyene Glycol (Mineral oil used to help create vapor)
-Glycerine (Oil used to maintain and balance moisture which helps create vapor)
-Nicotine

Looking back on it, with so many oils and stuff in the ingredients I should not have bought from this vendor because oils are known to clog up atomizers. Let me know what you guys think?

(I hope this post isn't too buried because it's on page 5)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I just got some samples of Tasty Vapor juice...
--Atomic Cinnacide 12mg
--German Chocolate Cake 12mg
--Caramel Popcorn 12mg

I do not detect any perfume taste in any of them.

My personal list now includes...
--Johnson Creek
--MyFreedomSmokes
--Ecopure
--Tasty Vapor

I am tempted to add the following as well, based on feedback...
--DIYFlavorShack
--Ms T's Bakery
--Halo

I am going to be trying Ms T's Bakery next to verify.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
curiouser and curiouser.....

Linda at Perfumers Apprentice is working on this for us. But it's at the point that after reading all these posts, I'm starting the think the person who said this thread was pointless might be right. I don't mean the subject is pointless...just that I doubt us humbler vapers are going to figure it out. So many variables! One thing does stand out and that is JC. Just thinking out loud here...but wonder if it might not be any one specific ingredient per se...but how different ingredients react with PG and VG. And also rather it might be the quality of the PG that changes certain reactions...impurities and such. Who knows??? Not me ! Any chemists lurking around out there???

To further monkey wrench the topic....when I got my first order of Halo I had ordered a bottle of Smooth 8. They tell you right on the website not to order it if you've never tried it...to start with Freedom. Because Smooth 8 is supposed to have "a strong ginger flavor and odor". Well I live ginger...and I hate being told what to do...so of course I ordered it. Opened it...smelled it....OMG!!!...what is this stuff? E-juice or perfume!?!!? But I tried it. Still had sort of a strong perfumy type odor and taste but NOT the cheap perfume nasty taste we are all talking about. I put it aside and came back to it a week or so later. Long story short....now I can't live without it. Go figure!?!?

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Right on,Brother!!!

flowerpower.gif

Last edited:

vapingboy

Mar 30, 2010
chicago
I'm with you DC2! Lets get this stamped out and come up with a consolidated list of vendors that don't have this taste in their juices.

As for myfreedomsmokes, I found this on their website under the 'Get Started' section.

About the Cartridge
The Cartridge consists of a mouth piece and a liquid container which stores the atomizing liquid. The liquid contains no cancer causing or harmful chemicals found in cigarettes such as tar making
this a satisfying clean choice for smokers.
The ingredients in a non-nicotine atomizing liquid container include:
Propylene glycol (85%)
Ethanol and Fragrance (5%) *** :nah:
Water (5%)
Flavour (5%)

It maybe that this is only with their carts and not with their juice, but can't say for sure.

I have some DIYFlavorShack on order - their 555, flue cured and Dunhill is what I have coming in.

OMG lorikay13! That was one juice I was counting on to be NOT perfumey! I have the smooth 8 en route to me and it's supposed to be here today. Guess I'll find out soon enuf. Good to know that you liked it in the long run.

Last night I got the JC Tenn cured and wasn't found of it to begin with; but the more I have been vaping, I'm getting to like it. It certainly is an acquired taste.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Smooth8 is also definately an aquired taste. Do give it a chance....I really love this stuff. But if you decide you really don't like it....PM me....I'll buy it from you or trade you something for it. :)

yeah...that "food fragrance" catagory of chemicals is pretty suspect. And some of those chemicals are not exactly what I would call safe. They have known negative health effects when taken orally...but nothing is known about vaping them.

oops....sorry...it seems that something IS known about these chemicals because they are the same damn thing that cigarette companies put in analogs to make them smell "good"...have a look:

Here

Here

And my favorite....

Here

Let me just make this clear...I am NOT slamming any maker of ejuice. What I AM saying is that it is US...the consumer that must make the choices and the difference. WE are the ones that complain if a juice doen't smell good enough or have a strong enough flavor. WE are the ones who are hooked on these chemicals after a lifetime of tasting them in prepackaged foods and Big Tobacco products. So if we want a truely safe ejuice we are going to have to change our attitudes about what we want. And then make it worth a sellers time to make the stuff by buying it!

Last edited:

vapingboy

Mar 30, 2010
chicago
No wonder I haven't been ovulating and having urges for pickles lately.
- nicotime, LOL!!

Ok boys and girls! I got my smooth 8 in the mail today. First impression when I smell the bottole, it does not smell like perfume, it smells like PAINT!!! Yikes! 8-o It smells like the Ace Semi-Gloss Enamel paint I bought last summer to touch up my baseboards!

Now for vaping, It is does NOT taste like paint which is a good thing! ;)
But it does have a very strong clove/cedary taste to it. Like lorikay13 says, it is an acquired taste and it may grow on me.

lorikay13, let me vape on it for a day or so, but first impression I might PM you for a trade or sale! :) And thanks for the links.

Guys, I'm running out of money and getting a little annoyned by all this trial and error!

Pokeygizmo, thanks for your review. Between you, DC2 and CartHeadMod, I'll have to give TastyVapor a try.

Last edited:

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Your senses of smell and taste are very intertwined. And everyone has different taste buds. The perfume probably enhances the flavor for some people -- they smell it/they taste it. For me, I refer to those flavors as "skunk juice."

And, if you don't like them, stay away from Top Vapor's Fresh Pear (Mad Vape sells it.) You might as well vape Chanel No. 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread