1187 Hundertwasser
F1piRvB.jpg

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
hi, i have read that vaping with high wattage would generate a lot formaldehyde.
what's the best wattage to vape?

No, you're only going to generate formaldehyde if your coil runs dry and that can happen at any watts.

You can vape anywhere between 5-50+ watts with no issues as long as your hardware is set up right and is designed for the watts.

To minimize the risk of scorching my Aspire BVC coils (which happens very easily and once it's done it's done), I tend to keep my power <= 6W. Vaping cool not only extends coil-life and maintains the best flavour, it also prolongs battery life and ensures safety. I've truly never understood people who go over 10W: it's completely unnecessary in my view, not to say wasteful of expensive components.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
I like to vape at around 1200W, or 100A. (I was looking at a new PSU, and those are literally the specs. What a beast.)

No just kidding. It depends entirely on the setup. 10W would do nothing for heating up my .6 ohm 14-wrap coil, but it would do wonders for my 1.8 ohm Aspire Nautilus coil. Similarly, 70W would burn the Nautilus BVC, but is a comfortable vape at .6 ohms. Y'dig?

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
To minimize the risk of scorching my Aspire BVC coils (which happens very easily and once it's done it's done), I tend to keep my power <= 6W. Vaping cool not only extends coil-life and maintains the best flavour, it also prolongs battery life and ensures safety. I've truly never understood people who go over 10W: it's completely unnecessary in my view, not to say wasteful of expensive components.

I have a Kayfun Lite, 2.1 ohm coil on 28 gauge Kanthal. 6 watts produces no vapor and very little flavor. 10 watts produces some flavor but very little vapor. I find this setup is better around 14.5 watts. It takes that much to produce a warm vape with full flavor. When I used my Nautilus mini with the BVC, I found 11 watts on my MVP to be anemic. I thought it performed best around 13 watts.

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga
My tanks won't produce any flavor or vapor under 30 watts and won't perform correctly under 45. It depends on what device and resistance among other things. Under powering a coil is as bad as over powering as flavor is concerned

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Are you rebuilding ? Try running an RTA on a mech , it might expand your view . And remember flavor is subjective to personal opinion .

Then I guess it all depends what kind of juices you're into. For the mixes I make, 6-7W tends to be the sweet spot. Vaping cool has the added advantage of prolonging coil-head and battery life. And where I live that's the number one priority. There are no vape shops down here, and everything has to be ordered from the US, EU or China. Shipping cost to Colombia doubles the price of every item. Deliveries seldom arrive in less than 2-3 weeks.

6W and 1.6 - 1.8 ohm on my Nautilus produces plenty of vapor at 60-40 PG-VG mix with scorched puffs extremely rare.

Since formaldehyde and temperature is still somewhat of an open question, it is advisable at this point to err on the side of great caution IMO. Cooler vaping at least ensures added safety in this area. At 8+ W coil wicking can scorch unexpectedly giving the unmistakably foul choking taste of toxins. Once that happens you might as well replace the coil. High wattage can be an expensive habit. And isn't it better to be safe than sorry?

Last edited:

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga
BUT vaping at 45 watts on a .6 coil in a Herakles is a very very cool vape. Watts mean nothing when discussing two different devices. As i've said it depends on the device, ohms, amps, voltage and watts. One device can be vaped at 50 watts and result in the same temperature as a different device being vaped at 10 watts. There are so many variables that you can't say vaping over 10 watts isn't being safe. I only vape cool

BUT vaping at 45 watts on a .6 coil in a Herakles is a very very cool vape. Watts mean nothing when discussing two different devices. As i've said it depends on the device, ohms, amps, voltage and watts. One device can be vaped at 50 watts and result in the same temperature as a different device being vaped at 10 watts. There are so many variables that you can't say vaping over 10 watts isn't being safe. I only vape cool

I don't dispute any of that. I was merely remarking in the context of the devices and coils that I currently use. At 1.6 and 1.8 ohm, I get a cool satisfying vape at 6-7 W (3.6 V nominal), with scorched hits only very very rarely. YMVV depending on device and resistance preference - although I continue to find the current sub-ohm/high power craze incomprehensible in view of the health and safety risks involved for inexperienced vapers.

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga
I'm sorry that I thought you meant vaping over 10 watts in general. I agree about the safety part with inexperienced vapers and battery safety. As for sub ohming the only add danger I see is battery safety. I mean I can build a RDA to well over 1.0 Ω and produce as much vapor as a lot of people do with sub ohm builds on regulated devices. If that's the safety concerns you have then I absolutely agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread