FDA What is the deal with this "The United States Vapers' Survey"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I was a SMOKER, I didn't dabble in it. Jeez. At 30 cigarettes a day for 46 years that is 500, 700 cigarettes.

Hee hee, momore stinkies! I've got you beat: 3 packs per day for 47 years = 1,029,300 cigarettes.

We were both pretty hard-core.

I started vaping in February 2011 and haven't looked back.

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
Hee hee, momore stinkies! I've got you beat: 3 packs per day for 47 years = 1,029,300 cigarettes.

We were both pretty hard-core.

I started vaping in February 2011 and haven't looked back.

3PPD? Were you smoking in your sleep? Hee hee. Those questions were for those "I only smoke when I drink" people. I was beginning to think that I was the only vapor that smoked while taking a bath, eating, digging in the dirt (with the smoke burning my eyes out), walking on a treadmill (oh yes I did), walking into a gym and crushing the .... on the sidewalk and putting the .... in my bag only to wonder where the stench was coming from later. Oh those were the days and I am so happy they are behind me. January 1, 2014. Never, ever going back. Nice to know I wasn't alone!

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
3PPD? Were you smoking in your sleep? Hee hee. Those questions were for those "I only smoke when I drink" people.

nomore stinkies, I'm self-employed (work out of my basement office), so I could chain-smoke while working 10-12 hour days. Before that, when I worked for employers, there was no prohibition against smoking.

But, yup, two-plus cartons per week. You do the math.

Thank goodness you and your husband started vaping just in time!

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
A couple of the questions I thought could have been stated better or even left out. For instance the one about if you continued to only vape and did not ever smoke again, in 10 years do you see yourself developing a serious health problem. Hello???!! I'm 65, will obviously be 75 in 10 years. I could certainly have a serious health problem at 75, although I hope not.

In the last comment section, I referenced that question and pointed out that I COULD have a serious health problem at 75, but I wouldn't attribute it to vaping. I might attribute it to a long history of smoking, though. My mother got a cancer in her lung 20 years after she quit, and my third cousin developed COPD several years AFTER he quit smoking, followed several years later by mouth cancer. Neither of them survived. And vaping hadn't been invented yet.

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
A couple of the questions I thought could have been stated better or even left out...
I noticed they were not set up for DIY juice when they required an answer to what size bottles do you buy. NA was wrong, but 0 was accepted.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
The part that was strange was when they asked something like When you smoked did you smoke at least 3 cigarettes in a month or day. Three, three.?? Jeez if I smoked 3 cigarettes in a month I wouldn't be writing everyone to save vaping. How about three cigarettes in a minute. I was a SMOKER, I didn't dabble in it. Jeez. At 30 cigarettes a day for 46 years that is 500, 700 cigarettes.

Yeah, that was weird.

You mean you didn't really want to know that I smoked Fifty cigs a day for most of 50+ years, for a grand total of a million or so? what the? Strange. Five cigarettes? That's what you wanted to know? whatever.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
A couple of the questions I thought could have been stated better or even left out. For instance the one about if you continued to only vape and did not ever smoke again, in 10 years do you see yourself developing a serious health problem. Hello???!! I'm 65, will obviously be 75 in 10 years. I could certainly have a serious health problem at 75, although I hope not.

In the last comment section, I referenced that question and pointed out that I COULD have a serious health problem at 75, but I wouldn't attribute it to vaping. I might attribute it to a long history of smoking, though. My mother got a cancer in her lung 20 years after she quit, and my third cousin developed COPD several years AFTER he quit smoking, followed several years later by mouth cancer. Neither of them survived. And vaping hadn't been invented yet.

I treated that one as meaning health problem caused by vaping, but yeah, those of us getting on are likely to run into health problems, especially as we smoked for a long time. Could have been worded better.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I noticed they were not set up for DIY juice when they required an answer to what size bottles do you buy. NA was wrong, but 0 was accepted.

I had a hard time with that one too. At least this time there was a section for notes. I put 120 ml as that answer and added a note that I make and don't buy that 120 ml.

I thought that this survey was much better thought out than most of the previous surveys that I have participated in.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I had a hard time with that one too. At least this time there was a section for notes. I put 120 ml as that answer and added a note that I make and don't buy that 120 ml.

I thought that this survey was much better thought out than most of the previous surveys that I have participated in.

I put down 1000ml. lol... it didn't accept it. In the last box for 'what else?' I said basically, you need a better way to accommodate DIYers. :- )

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
I put down 1000ml. lol... it didn't accept it. In the last box for 'what else?' I said basically, you need a better way to accommodate DIYers. :- )

Did you type the "ml"? It accepted 1000 from me, and 0.058 in usage per day box. Should work out to a little over three years if I did the math right.

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
Yeah, that was weird.

You mean you didn't really want to know that I smoked Fifty cigs a day for most of 50+ years, for a grand total of a million or so? what the? Strange. Five cigarettes? That's what you wanted to know? whatever.
Yeah right? It's almost as if the survey leaned ..... like when they ask the chillen if they vaped one puff in the last month. They are not vapors and people who smoke 5 cigarettes a month are not smokers iMHO. The people I know who now vape were like most of us - hard core smokers, unable to quit by other methods. Like I said, smoking was not a novelty for me it was an obsession. That is why we all are proponents of vaping. Free at last.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
The part that was strange was when they asked something like When you smoked did you smoke at least 3 cigarettes in a month or day. Three, three.?? Jeez if I smoked 3 cigarettes in a month I wouldn't be writing everyone to save vaping. How about three cigarettes in a minute. I was a SMOKER, I didn't dabble in it. Jeez. At 30 cigarettes a day for 46 years that is 500, 700 cigarettes.

I thought it was weird that the highest number of cigarettes smoked IN YOUR LIFE question only went up to "5 packs or more." IN MY LIFE???? :lol::lol::lol: To the best of my knowledge, I smoked more than 600,000 cigarettes in my life. Well, to be fair, I guess that IS more than 5 packs... And the other question about "regular smoking" and then it was defined as "2 to 3 cigarettes a month" (if I recall correctly). HUH? That's not "regular smoking." I sneaked more than that out of my mom's packs when I was 13.

I think the survey was concocted by someone who has never smoked, or even been around smokers, but hey, I guess they tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread