Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@JimZet -

First, I don't know where you got the idea that the 25-30% I'd had in my post...was for 1 flavor as this sentence from your post suggests:

"True but not 25%-30% for sure.
I can't imagine myself having 30% of 100ml bottle just a flavoring."

25-30% was the total flavoring % in a mix.

About this: "Haven't even saw or heard about juice like that. Maximum i ever heard of is around 18% in total of 10+ different flavorings, which is already odd and over bulked."

You must not have ever looked at any of the recipes in Bill's blogs, nor talked to anyone who uses some of his recipes, or others found online with HF %! And again..."odd and over bulked" is your opinion...not a fact!

And this: "But ofc everyone have own taste, maybe some people even vape pure flavorings :p no vapor but definitely perfume smell & taste :p"

No one on here has talked about, nor suggested, vaping pure flavorings! Geez!

And last: "Some might use high amount of flavorings that contain PG, but we're talking about pure flavorings."

Who's talking about pure flavorings? Certainly not me, nor anyone else that I can tell in any discussions about making DIY eliquids! Except maybe you? Flavorings are usually either PG based or VG based.

Again, what you state are your own opinions. However, they're certainly presented here like they're facts. I'm not going to mislead newbies to DIY that way. Carry on though...

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Who's talking about pure flavorings? Certainly not me, nor anyone else that I can tell in any discussions about making DIY eliquids! Except maybe you? Flavorings are usually either PG based or VG based.

Again, what you state are your own opinions. However, they're certainly presented here like they're facts. I'm not going to mislead newbies to DIY that way. Carry on though...

I've only seen flavors in PG, and didn't know you could even find them in VG. That can be convenient for a recipe that makes it hard to get to 70 VG on mixing (OK, my nic is in PG as well, so that could also help to keep the VG high enough if I had realized it before buying it all). Any insight on finding flavorings in VG, and what types of flavors do well when stored that way?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hi Vapers !

I wanted to ask the experienced Alchemists a question,

As i am starting to get involved with DIY with ejuice, i wanted to increase my education level by asking below questions : any advise and answer is always appreciated :thumb:

1) What is the percentage % of Flavor that is mostly suggested when making ejuice ?
ie. from the 100% ( PG ) ( VG ) ( Nicotine ) -- > what is the % of flavor you advise for best liquid vape,

My insights so far : i understood that 25-30 % of Flavor and preferably PG mix is the most used and satisfactory.

well for now this is what i was seeking mainly.

Thanking you in advance !

Vape On !:headbang:
You could ask similar to questions about the food you eat. I like to keep things simple. I use only a stand-alone flavor and only in the absolute minimum percent which happens to be 1.5% for the particular flavor I use. In my experience most juice has way too much flavoring.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Eskie - Yes, buying your nic in VG definitely helps, if you like a high VG to PG final ratio in your eliquids. But, there are vendors who do sell flavorings in a VG base. There aren't a bunch though. The number/variety of flavorings in VG isn't nearly as high as in PG either, but there are quite a few.

I'll do some browsing around for places that do carry them in VG, and will post back here when I've located some for you. :)

JimZet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2015
@JCinFLA

First of all, i haven't say its a fact or something, i said around 18% is max i have ever tried nor seen.
Everything i say that having 25-30% or more flavorings is odd and way too much , yep it is my reasonable opinion, way too strong flavor will just remind a perfume.
I did not say its forbidden to make juices with high %'s of flavoring, i've suggested most common way, where you can't ruin your juice.
And nope i don't know who's bob, i saw some recipes from some of my friends juice lines ( vape shop owners in Russia ). Besides that i haven't even look for recipes, i usually just try to make juices similar to things i work on in
confectionery.

Ps. I ain't going to argue anymore, i said what i had to say.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Eskie - Here's a few I found doing a quick Google search:

RealFlavors.com - All natural liquid flavoring VG based

DIYFlavorShack.com

ECBlendFlavors.com

EcigExpress.com - The Northwest Flavors they carry are VG based

I didn't check each website to see how many, nor the variety, they each carry that are VG based. But, those should give you a start anyway.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
@Eskie - Yes, buying your nic in VG definitely helps, if you like a high VG to PG final ratio in your eliquids. But, there are vendors who do sell flavorings in a VG base. There aren't a bunch though. The number/variety of flavorings in VG isn't nearly as high as in PG either, but there are quite a few.

I'll do some browsing around for places that do carry them in VG, and will post back here when I've located some for you. :)

Thanks! I've looked at the big ones that I know of, and didn't notice any with the option. I only realized it with a recent juice I made which used ~15% of flavorings, and could only get my final juice to 60/40 VG rather than 70/30. Today I made two more batches, but with lower nic concentrations (6 mg and 3 mg rather than the earlier 12 mg) and got it to 70/30 with just a splash of extra PG.

I usually use single or 2 flavoring juices at a lower total percentage (5-8%?) so it never happened before, but this recipe worked out surprisingly well with a few tweaks, but nailed me on the VG side.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
@Eskie - Here's a few I found doing a quick Google search:

RealFlavors.com - All natural liquid flavoring VG based

DIYFlavorShack.com

ECBlendFlavors.com

EcigExpress.com - The Northwest Flavors they carry are VG based

I didn't check each website to see how many, nor the variety, they each carry that are VG based. But, those should give you a start anyway.

Thank you! I'll have to go see. I think if I find a good Ry4D in VG I should be set, as that is a common flavoring for me, and typically at the highest percentage of ingredients. Off to poke around!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Eskie - You may also want to check out:

9 ml (Sample Size)

It's One Stop DIY Shop, and yes...they have other sizes of their flavorings, too. I was just on the page for their 9mL sample sizes when I grabbed the link.

Some of their One Stop Flavors found above...have between 55-70% VG in them. They are good to make eliquids using only 1 of them...at 7-10% of that 1 flavor into your own PG, VG, and Nic base. In your case though, besides making it easy to make your eliquid...it would help with your VG ratio being met, too.

Lots of people on the ECF use them, too, and really like them! I use some of them and the One Stop Blends as well. They also carry the regular flavorings made by lots of the popular manufacturers.

By the way, if you use coupon code ECF at checkout, there's a discount of either 11% or 16%...can't remember right now which it is though.

Last edited:

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
True but not 25%-30% for sure.
I can't imagine myself having 30% of 100ml bottle just a flavoring. Haven't even saw or heard about juice like that. Maximum i ever heard of is around 18% in total of 10+ different flavorings, which is already odd and over bulked.
But ofc everyone have own taste, maybe some people even vape pure flavorings :p no vapor but definitely perfume smell & taste :p

Some might use high amount of flavorings that contain PG, but we're talking about pure flavorings.

There are many paths to the top of the mountain.

One very well regarded mixer on this site is regularly mixing in the 20-30 range with great results. High Flavor Mixes ready to go right away. So while I really respect your opinion, I would hope you do the same for others around here.

I mix almost everything under 20%, often under 10%, but that is just me. It doesn't make me right and you wrong. Some people just have a different set of taste buds.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
It is really whatever the "user" finds they like. Taste buds are taste buds and nobody has the same. I DIY and I don't have any juice recipes with 3 or less flavors. I start with 5ml mixes. I don't know, I just start with an idea and go from there in letting it steep as I think it needs, try, re-mix, re-try and keep going until my tastebuds are happy.

If someone likes my concoctions, great, if not, great. I mix as my taste buds say. I think all should. :thumbs:

VapeHacker

Aug 18, 2016
You could ask similar to questions about the food you eat. I like to keep things simple. I use only a stand-alone flavor and only in the absolute minimum percent which happens to be 1.5% for the particular flavor I use. In my experience most juice has way too much flavoring.
Allow me to add on this " In my experience most juice has way too much flavoring " recently ive been trying out different Flavors and i am starting to understand why in some Ejuice DYI you kinda have to follow the rules in means that you would have to either really do it yourself and test the flavor intensity of each or just find some experience alchemist who posts his experiences with different flavors. for instance, Vanilla - cheescake - tobacco i find very heavy meaning, when i vape i feel like intense flavors there however with orange, weirdly its so sweet ! i kinda love it however i cant imagine myself vaping on sweet for long, it has to be mellow if its to vape on one single taste for long. i find a mix of fruits specific low intense flavor something like watermelon and mint not sure about other alike flavors yet which i have loads to discover still very satisfying also, ive been vaping a 100 ml of that mellow mixed fruity alike and im not complaining.

Interesting insights though so far ! :thumbs:

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
Ok I will confuse you even more as I use wee tiny amounts in my DIYed juices lol. I have 3 all day vapes 1 is plain nicotine base made how I like it, 1 has 2 flavorings for a total of 0.35% flavoring, and another made from a Naturally Extracted Tobacco (which on the site uses 25% in their finished juices) I use 1.5%.:laugh: Before I bought the extracts from NETs I tried their finished juices in 100% PG as a flavoring at 5%.:thumbs: The main thing I would say is start at the low end if you can get 1 and work up.;) I had to learn that for me any finished juice at "normal" flavoring strength tasted like :eek:. I wasted over 360mls of them even cut them 50% and still threw them out. Hahahahaha Took me almost a year of trying tons of flavorings to figure out what I liked and at what percentages.:confused: Like others have said start low until you figure out what amount of each flavoring you like - and start with small batches - less waste if you do not like it. Good Luck and have fun!!:vapor:

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
And truly small changes make a big difference. I've been trying to make a clone of Tribeca. Got a wonderful recipe on here using Ry4D, graham cracker, acetyl pyrazine, and ethyl maltol. The recipe called for 2% maltol and it was OK. I made my next batch with 1% ethyl maltol, and for my taste buds, it's a right on match and destined for an ADV. I even made it up in a few different nic strengths as some tanks require far less than others (12 mg in my Merlin pseudo MTL, 3 mg in my Limitless+). It's hard to imagine that a 1% difference could be so important, but that's just how it turned out.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You can add more flavor, but you can't deflavor a juice ruined by adding too much flavor. Sure, you can add PG and VG to weaken it, but if the excess flavor was part of a mix of several flavors it's pretty much a lost cause. Then, you have to add more nic and that gets to be guesswork once you've vaped part of the original volume.

Start low and add in small increments.

Last edited:
Reactions: VapeHacker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread