What is the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't really to start a major threat. I just have to make my 5 posts so I can reply and question elsewhere on other threads.

But here is my question. What really is the point in upgrading to the expensive mods? Everyone on the forum and everywhere else keeps throwing around words like "upgrade" and "next step". They act like if you have been vaping for more than 2 months then you HAVE TO upgrade your gear like life is some competition for who has the best mod, or it world like some RPG where you have to keep going to the next better thing or you're just not going to make it. Ok if you are into the competition stuff to see who can puff the biggest cloud. Fine that's what you're into and I can see how you might want to stay on top of what stuff works better for that.

But for me it isn't about being a fanboy of "authentic" equipment, or being some sort of loyal stooge to the local vaping community hanging out in the vapor shop talking about the latest piece of pointless metal that I just dropped 300 bucks on and pretending that it works any better than the one I got a week ago for 275. I got into this because e-juice is cheaper than buying 3 packs of smokes a day at 9 bucks a pack. So I'm certainly not going to spend 300 dollars, 200 dollars or even 100 dollars on something just to puff vapor. I don't even like the idea of spending 40-50. So why does everyone seem to think that if you're not keeping up with what the next guy has then you;re just not a serious vaper. That's like saying that if you're not spending 200 a week on cigarettes then you're not a serious smoker. And if you really want to be serious you need to "upgrade" to fine cogniac dipped hand rolled cuban cigars for 150 dollars a piece. Or maybe get into artisan limited run pipe tobacco for 1500 dollars an ounce and smoke it in a 250,000 dollar anteaque ivory and 24 karat gold pipe.
Let's get real. If my ego type battery and cheap single coil plastic atomizer satisfies me, then that's my business. I'm getting sick of asking a decent battery that lasts longer than 4 hours on a charge, and having people point me toward a 40-60 dollar box that doesn't support any of my other stuff to go with it, so I'll end up having to get a whole new setup and still pay 100 bucks I can't afford. As for the mods. the only advantage I see is that the battery is removable, so when it fails to hold a charge I just get another battery. But then I still have to buy the expensive charger, and expensive spare batteries. Yes for me 30 bucks for a battery charger and 30 bucks a pop for batteries is way too expensive. I got in this to save money. Not spend the same amount of money on toys to play with. Especially when you have the "authentic" fanboys on one side telling you that if you buy anything but an authentic you will regret it when it breaks in a week. Or that some tiny issue like the button rattling because it doesn't fit as snug is just such a major game ender for buying the cheap knock off. And then on the other side of the equation people saying the clones are just as good if not sometimes better. In the end I don't know who to believe and I don't have thousands of dollars to buy one of everything and compare on my own. Besides that all the vapor shops around here are two categories. Authentic only and you can't get anything less than 100 bucks. And the ejuice cost 15 bucks for the cheapest stuff, and only goes up from there for a little 10ml bottle that will last me about a week.
Or the generic smoke shop type places that don't sell anything but the clone knockoffs and sure they are less than the authentics but still 2 to 3 times what you can buy it online for. And their ejuice stinks, tastes bad, and still costs anywhere from 7-10 dollars for a 15ml bottle. If I listen to the people online and only buy the most expensive stuff cause it "supports the little guy" then I would be spending more than what I spent on cigarettes.
I hate to sound self centered but I got into this to help myself. Screw the little guy, and screw supporting america when america won't support itself. 95% of everything we buy here is made in china anyway all the american companies outsource to china. No matter what you do china gets a slice of the pie somehow. The only difference is that instead of directly supporting a chinese company you are supporting a greedy american company that outsorces all it's manufacturing to china so that it can put the markup into it's own pocket and charge you twice as much for the same chinese made stuff.
As far as this rant goes I have been looking for a variable voltage battery at a reasonable price without buying a clone and I can't do it. I have searched the web and ebay and amazon and everywhere else for weeks and all I am finding are clones. Even the ones claiming to be authentic turn out to be clones when you really look into it. Vision's own website has pictures for what is different from the clone to the original, and then when you click on their own products the pictures show the same white lettering and miss spaced voltage markings. Their own pictures look exactly like the pictures of the clones and don't even look like their picture of what the original should look like on their how to tell the difference page.
From what I can tell the only differences between the originals and the clones are tiny little nit picky things like what color the letters should be, or this dial marker is a little higher up on the battery. All the reviews I seen of the originals have the same issues as the clones and aren't made any better at all.

Lets stop being fanboys here and talk about what is important. Not smoking death sticks AKA cigarettes, and start giving people encentive to not smoke them. If I knew I would be spending hundreds of dollars just to get a vaping setup I would have just bought a couple cartons of smokes and called it a day. At least with those I don't have to hear a bunch of stuff about "clones vs authentics", and "vaping on the next level" like everyone who's into this just got into it so they could blow the biggest cloud, or brag about how expensive their toys are. I just want a cheaper healthier way to get my nicotine fix. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.
wow...I get the whole my cloud is bigger than your cloud, my set cost blablabla rant.......posers anger me as well.....having said that, I have been known to encourage upgrades to folks who are struggling with analogs and vaping.....folks who have a not so decent, cheap, starter set up that simply is not satisfying their cravings enough to throw the cigs away.....based on my progression, and my own success at being free from the stinkies for almost a year now after a 35 year habit. I don't, however, encourage them to spend stupid money.....it took me 4 months of experimenting, and slowly upgrading to an affordable , dependable setup that satisfies my need for nicotine, without breaking the bank and just buying the best and most expensive, newest crap that the socalled fanboys have to have.
Enjoy your smokefree life....do what works for you and let the fanboys do their thing......vape on.

Reactions: Gothicmace59

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
If you get the same satisfaction vaping a 2.8Ω coil on a 3.8V ego battery after 2 months, more power to you.
As you learn what you like and don't like, your needs change. Then you have to either adjust your needs to fit your equipment or your equipment to fit your needs. But once you fine the setup you enjoy, you don't need to upgrade anymore unless you like trying new things

It is entirely up to you and your vape budget if you want to take small steps or giant leaps

bamagirl88

Aug 30, 2015
Al
Great point. I am vaping to save money and be healthy too. I'm not a cloud chaser, I am a taste chaser tho. And I am using a spinner two battery and every time I walk into my vape shop they are always trying to sell me a mod. I will think about upgrading after 4 to 6 months if needed. My only complaint is the batteries don't last as long as a box e cig. But, I like the way mine feels in my hand.

In the end, we must do what's right for us. The rest is who cares....

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
You are on a forum that caters mostly to enthusiasts do there is your answer...
You could get an MVP I think those work with ego threading and will give you better battery life and you won't need a new charger or batteries...
That being said, besides the hobby buys I make just for the fun of it in reality I spend less than a few cents a day on juice (diy) and that is it, I have wire, wick and batteries to last me a few years, it is as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be.
Or you where buying 3 packs a day you can get a setup that matches your needs

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

madangus

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2015
Chicago-land
Be happy, that is what counts. A few thoughts...

Kayfun authentics, made in germany. Right now i think the price is fair and i can afford it, so i would rather the original creators get the money. I dunno if i am unusual in that way but that is my motivation. iF and ONLY if it is something i think will last more than a few months.

The hex ohms, provaris ... They are also made here. Sure some parts may be made in japan etc but a chunk of money is staying in the US. I do think paying the premium when its still manufactured fir pennies is a bit disingenuous, i say that having many apple products. That is a bit sucky but seems to be very common, your right OP there is a lot of outsourcing.

I don't see much of any pressuring on ecf that you must upgrade at all honestly. Folks love their gear and if nothing else it's fun to shop vicariously and see what's out there. I would rather have more info than less.

I haven't heard of any mods that are 300 so maybe i am in the wrong crowd? Lol. 210 was the highest price i have seen.

I don't bother with vape stores, just occassionally never found a great one around me i would want to hang out at.

If you have something you like more power to you :)

Jace75

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2015
The bottom line for me is even if you spend 300 quid on a mod its a one off payment and is still way way way cheaper than smoking was for me I was smoking about 25 to 30 a day which is about 12 quid a day for 30 days a month 336 quid a month and every month for years. Not that I've ever spent 300 quid on a mod but I do love to collect vape gear not to show off or be a poser cos I don't know anyone who vapes locally I just love it. And will continue to love it cos it's always gonna be cheaper than smoking cos it's not gonna cost me my life. Im a fog machine Vape On.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I haven't heard of any mods that are 300 so maybe i am in the wrong crowd? Lol. 210 was the highest price i have seen.
Oh, there are quite a few $300+ mods and with many of them, you need to wait in a long queue to get one. Do they provide a better vape than a less expensive mod? Realistically speaking, no, they do not. People buy them in order to own and use a unique piece of functional art.

Gothicmace59

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Henry County Georgia
I am the cheap guy of vaping. Also a 35 year former smoker...I look for deals. ..read and watch tons of reviews and have gotten some pretty good gear on sale and I do get some things off ebay. Not a cloud chaser...I love the flavor and also the savings and better health being off cigs. ..I do enjoy this as a hobby and while I will never in the latest and greatest laser crafted food grade tank powered by a custom box mod with its own lifetime nuclear reactor....I do love reading about them and the reviews by those who can afford them. All part of this great group known as vaping. :banana:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I can only tell you WHY I upgraded.
    When I started vaping (2011) the FDA was involved in a lawsuit, customs was siezing shipments, and the end of vaping was looming over our heads. (and there hasn't been a day since that we haven't been under that threat)
    So I felt that it was prudent to at least learn how to become "self reliant". That meant learning how to make my own mods & atomizers should it become necessary, and learning how to make my own liquids.
    I'm just glad that some others felt the same way, and we have a flotilla of gear to choose from as a result.

For really no other reason than to prove to myself that it was possible, I went all of 2014 without spending a single cent to vape. So should push ever come to shove, I'm confident in the fact that I could continue to vape instead of smoking for the rest of my life.
    That would not have been possible with that nice little eGo that I started out with.

So to be blunt about it, I've upgraded to the point of diminishing return & redundancy. ;)

Last edited:

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2015
    Long island
    I don't care what people buy. If a provari gets you to quit smoking and you find enjoyment in owning one, then so be it. It's like arguing against bmw owners because ford makes cars too. It's none of my business what people buy, and I try to stay out of other people's finances.

LeakyCarto

Moved On
    Aug 30, 2015
    SmallTown
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Multiple identities are not permitted on ECF

towelie

ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2014
    In a cloud
    In a sense you did the same as a smoker...bet you didnt smoke 3 pack a day at first dare i say you had to "upgrade".

156527.jpg

fg2015

Aug 20, 2015
    You are fine as you are bud. I vape for the flavour. So a high PG flavour would be my idea mix but because I (believe) PG messes my throat up I find myself vaping something with a little higher VG. Some are taking vaping as a hobby, not as the cigarette replacement thing that it's suppose to be and that's not a bad thing I guess. So they're always up with the upgrading of mods, or getting bigger clouds with better drippers, tanks, etc. Some are just happy with their current mods that give them everything they need. I'm one of those, I've had the big mods, I've had the big and better tanks, but I always find myself going back to the smaller mods and the smaller sub tanks. I don't like vaping at a high wattage, I do not like massive amounts of clouds and I'm more about the flavour. It's pretty much whatever you want it to be, don't get too annoyed or angry with comments from any other person out there. This isn't about the amount of clouds you can blow, or the bigger mods or tanks that you have, or how you accessorise em. Your mod doesn't have to last 90 days without a recharge, etc. Whatever makes you comfortable...

As for the authentic/clone discussion, China factory makes direct clones of authentic products well enough that it's not an issue. Sometimes you get clones that are worse off than the authentics, but majority of the time the good ones are pretty decent. If you're fine with that, then go for it. They're working with the same designs, the same items you'll find in the next factory making the authentic ones beside em. Items I wouldn't mess around with are batteries and battery chargers. Being a flashlight/torchlight guy for decades, I know my batteries well enough to know that clones can be a little dangerous at times.

Last edited:

Flywheel Shyster

Jul 10, 2015
    This seemed an apt place for my first post....

I thought the same when I first started vaping. But with a kanger evod and not knowing what flavors i would absolutely enjoy (hazelnut, almond and coffee flavors) I still smoked my Kamel reds for a while. Then I found this forum about six to eight months back and well, passion is contagious. I almost went for vaping hobby route after I picked up innokin clk with itaste 30b (now is my work pocket vape with aerotank V2) until I realized, while fun, its just not for me, passion wise. I'm still a recovering addict and while I don't do things like crystal more than two times a week I am currently up from lack of sleep looking over vaping hardware as perhaps a way to minimize and eventually settle into abstinence from drugs much stronger and deadlier than nicotine. Nicotine in vape form is no worse than coffee (which i drink ridiculous amounts of anyway) The need for upgrades isn't as necessary financially when I have a 30w eleaf istick and nautilus mini that produces, for me, some great clouds for fun and more important excellent taste. I live next to Heather's Heavenly Vapes in GA and once I found them, the juice is by far better and greater than anything I had found at places like Tobacco Shops and head shops. So I would add that juice makes a difference. For instance, just earlier this evening [yesterday] I found a coffee flavor i bought real cheap at my 'down the street' gas station and it had stuff sticking together in the bottom and had started to separate. I have a HHV juice and one from a place called Vapes Gone WIld that are older than it and appear perfectly fine.

So other than as a hobby, you gotta understand that people might be using vaping as a means to get off other things as well. Being able to write while vaping is a godsend for me, as I haven't been able to do so in years. Maybe when I get this .... .... out the door, I'll upgrade just to feel that kind of paz-zaz I once felt circling an oil burner back and forth. There are reasons for everything, whether deterministic or choice, and while I agree that it can be off-putting, especially for us newbies who've found our groove but have little to say to the hobbiests, its all in good fun, to be healthier, and to live longer.

All Peace always amig@s, alliteration always intended

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread