What Is The Realistic Lifespan of a Provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
I'm just curious.

Has anyone managed to wear out a ProVari?

What would it take?

What killed it?

Did the threads wear out?

I know you could replace the tube, the board, the topcap, bottom cap, etc., etc., but has anyone actually killed one dead without putting it through a wood chipper or something?

Is there a lifespan here, or are they essentially immortal?

madangus

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2015
Chicago-land
@Baditude would be a good person for this...

I have seen many posts with folks using em 3 4 years later. I think the chip would eventually fail, but i dunno 3 4 5 years may be a reasonable expectation if not longer.

I am no authority whatsoever, just what i have seen reported. They sure do feel like they could be immortal don't they :)

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Multiple identities are not permitted on ECF

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
They will probably never be valuable collectors items. There will be far too many original model working models in circulation 50 years from now. They're really that tough.

Now what I DO Have high hopes for, is my first "bagless" cell phone. It looks like something the military would use to call in an airstrike in the battlefield. Big antennae and LCD screen. Almost need two hands to hold it. THAT sucker still would work with a good battery, and there can't be many of those out there!

Reactions: Baditude

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Electronic devices can be funny things. I've got some shortwave radios that are 15+ years old and still going strong. Once they are burned in and stable, some devices can function for many years before components begin to fail. I would bet good money that many ProVari's will still be functioning at least another ten or more years down the road.

Last edited:

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
seeing as the average lifespan exceeds the age of the oldest Provaris ... estimations on failure for those first Provi are currently ... the year 2076 :blink:

ProvariBeatup.jpg

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
I seem to recall a story of a gentleman who had a ProVari from the first batch (V1) and used it as his daily driver for about 4 years when it started showing some internal aging problems -- perhaps due to numerous drops and such abuses a long life PV can encounter. I don't recall what the specific problem was, but I think it was not always firing. It seems ProVape retired the device when they received it and sent him a new one. It was one of the oldest ProVari's and might have even been a Beta.

My perfectly operating V1 was 4 when I decided to send it in for upgrade to V2, well used, but not my daily driver, just a stable part of my arsenal.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Vaping being such a new phenomena, there hasn't been enough time for durable mods to hit up against their wear limits, but I do expect the steel Provi's to outlast the the Ti Provis.

Ti has that ooh aah factor, and it is strong for its weight, but ultimately will it last longer? I personally don't think so. One good reason to keep your Provi lubed up is to protect those threads. That's a big wear point.

The chips are another story.

Reactions: AstroTurf

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
It might be useful to review some of the early P3 thread for more info. It seems the company addressed the smallest of issues and potential issues that could arrive with the basic design. The P3 connector being a big change, and not just for style. I recall that there were a few other points mentioned.

I see that the biggest problem mods in general have had have been with the connector moving and insulator wearing out, if, of course, the "chip" or button doesn't wear out or break first. :lol: First rule has always been to not overtighten the connection---to keep that connector pin in place.

Though I've never heard of a ProVi shorting out due to insulator, it can "sink" a hair or even have been installed micro amounts differently.

There was recently some discussion in the Kabuki thread where @zen mentioned the "toppers" breaking off---and, of course, it was the topper that broke as it was the weakest metal. Would be interesting to see if he's tested a steel Zen topper with 510 and Provi--trying to break the connection!

Yes, Lube is a good thing. But only a condensation drop of liquid on occasion lubes the connector threads.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
There was recently some discussion in the Kabuki thread where @zen mentioned the "toppers" breaking off---and, of course, it was the topper that broke as it was the weakest metal. Would be interesting to see if he's tested a steel Zen topper with 510 and Provi--trying to break the connection!
Breaking stuff is kinda what we do at the shop... if we can break it, we try to improve upon it... and if we can't make it stop breaking, we try to make it break less frequently by making it as tough as we can.

So... I drop stuff... great distances... and kick it... and try to simulate the "pocket bend"... and falling out the window of a car... or off a roof... onto black-top... or concrete... or cast Iron...

The 510 connector is easy to break, and hard to prevent... there's a lot of leverage there and a small diameter... the ZAP atty is kinda hard to break... that built in "skirt" helps prevent the leverage from snapping the inner part... BUT it can still break.

Ya know what has NEVER broken in a test... even on purpose? A P3 connector... and a Z2 connector. It will rip the press fit connector right off the tube before it busts the threaded connection. BUT, The P3 Nautilus tank will rip apart the tank near the airflow ring. With a P3 Kabuki, you'll break the glass, but the threads will remain intact. The Z2 version is full-blown over kill.

In tests, I've broken hundreds of 510 connectors from pretty much every manufacturer out there. The P3 is absolutely, 100% superior to the 510. I'll give up universal fit for reliability any day of the week.

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
I read where the buttons on a ProVari are rated for 5 million presses.

In preparing for vapocalypse, I count on a ProVari lasting 10 years. Some will, some won't. Some will last longer, perhaps forever. In preparing for said vapocalypse, I am erring on the side of caution and preparing to live to 95. I will be 49 in November. I have 2 V2's and a P3. I plan on buying a Ti Stealth P3 when warranty on this one runs out and there is a sale. Warranty runs out 16June. All that and the fact I am sure I will buy upgraded versions when released, I and Jackie should be good. She has a V2 Mini and P3.

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
Breaking stuff is kinda what we do at the shop... if we can break it, we try to improve upon it... and if we can't make it stop breaking, we try to make it break less frequently by making it as tough as we can.

So... I drop stuff... great distances... and kick it... and try to simulate the "pocket bend"... and falling out the window of a car... or off a roof... onto black-top... or concrete... or cast Iron...

The 510 connector is easy to break, and hard to prevent... there's a lot of leverage there and a small diameter... the ZAP atty is kinda hard to break... that built in "skirt" helps prevent the leverage from snapping the inner part... BUT it can still break.

Ya know what has NEVER broken in a test... even on purpose? A P3 connector... and a Z2 connector. It will rip the press fit connector right off the tube before it busts the threaded connection. BUT, The P3 Nautilus tank will rip apart the tank near the airflow ring. With a P3 Kabuki, you'll break the glass, but the threads will remain intact. The Z2 version is full-blown over kill.

In tests, I've broken hundreds of 510 connectors from pretty much every manufacturer out there. The P3 is absolutely, 100% superior to the 510. I'll give up universal fit for reliability any day of the week.
Excellent info (it matters)! Thanks Zen! You are a valuable resource!

This is why I have no problem with the fact all 3 of my Kabuki's have the P3 threading and Jackie's K4 does too! I will make sure to show her your comment tomorrow!

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to copy/paste it in a email to her, thus not having to worry about counting on my Percocet laced memory!

Reactions: Peter_C

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I read where the buttons on a ProVari are rated for 5 million presses.

In preparing for vapocalypse, I count...

My brain stopped when I read "count." I thought you were going to say you were counting every button press. My moment of amazement passed quickly when I started reading again. lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread