What kind of atties do you use on your darwin?Problems here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrayda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
the icy northlands
Hey folks, been vaping on my darwin for almost a full year now. I love the thing. I have had a few problems, but Evolv has always made them right, and fast. Problem is, I'm getting sick of blowing atties so insanely fast on this thing. It's not the Darwin (it's been checked quite thoroughly by Evolv and they can find no problems). The atty life (or lack thereof) is getting to the point where I'm about ready to try something else, mod-wise to see if this is a Darwin issue or just a hazard of high-power vaping.

I've been going through atties at a rate of about one every two days for too long now. At first I thought it was the quality of atomizer I was using (the EM 510 SR from Liberty-Flights). These are inexpensive, so maybe that's why they weren't lasting I thought. Next I tried the Joye 510 SR atties from Vapor Kings. Joye are supposed to be the good stuff...same problem. I moved on to the HV 510 atties from Greenhouse One thinking that the higher resistance would save me...nope. I've tried 801, 901, 306, cartos....just about everything from many vendors with just about the same results. I've been able to eke maybe a week out of an atty in the past, but not lately. A week I can live with, two days, not so much.

I vape Backwoods Brew, Alien Visions and Vapor4Life juices pretty much exclusively and direct drip right around 9.2W (this varies, obviously, but I rarely exceed this power setting). Liquid consumption is probably right around 5mL/day. I haven't cleaned an atty in ages as they're blowing before I can get to that point. Blowing, in this context, means a zero resistance reading and failure to fire on my Darwin. All atties are mounted on the sealed 510 adapter from Evolv, and my PV is really clean, no stray juice causing shorts or anything.

So.....What have my fellow Darwin users found works for them? What are your experiences with atty life? Am I just destined to try something else (say, a ProVari) or is there something I can do to fix this? I love this PV, there's nothing out there I'd rather use, but this is getting expensive and just plain annoying. Anything you can offer will be greatly appreciated by me and my bank account.

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
Great post.....I've had mine a couple weeks and it's worked as intended. Are you sure your keeping your attys wet....sounds as if they may be getting dry and blowing and that will happen pretty easily if not kept wet. I use strictly carts or a combination of cart/tank. I've gone almost exclusively tank as I get tired of constantly topping off my carts as they can get dry pretty quickly with the power we can put to them using the Darwin. Also, PG is quite a bit thinner than VG so say an 80/20 pg to vg ratio is gonna require more drops more often that a higher concentrate VG based juice.

EDIT: Much above 8.6 or the middle setting on your dial may be the issue if your running 1.5 ohm attys as well.

Great little guide for you below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlZnGjZRjO_UdGo3VVlnVHY0VExZLVd5aDkwUEJEZXc#gid=1

Last edited:

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Wow. I really wish I had a whole bunch of good solid suggestions for you, as it doesn't sound like you're having a good time of it :blink:

Unfortunately, the only ones I can think of are perhaps you have a problem with your adapter or you are overtightening your attys. Either one is easy to check. I'd start by removing the adapter and screwing in a new atty directly, but making sure to go just snug and not too tight, then see how long you get out of it

I doubt it's your juice and 9.2 watts isn't really excessive and since you've tried different attys I really have no other ideas for you, sorry

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
When I get frustrated with atty's -- I switch to carto's for a bit. Seems to magically help. I've found that once a carto "breaks in" (they all don't, even out of the same box) it's pretty sweet.

I've had similar experiences -- but not all the time. My fixes have also been --- not dripping on overly hot atty and rotating devices.

I'm using an Iken 2.5 ohm io6 right now on my Darwin. The io6 was the first atty I'd had in months that lasted 3 weeks---with a lot of use -- before it simply wimped out. My second, not as good. But the third is doing fine!

rrayda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
the icy northlands
All:

Thanks for the great suggestions. I've got another 510 adapter on the way, I've got months of use out of the one I'm using...sure won't hurt.

I'll order some of the io6 from IkenVape. Their stealth cannons were my favorite until they started lasting me less than a day. Then they were still my favorite, just no longer economically feasible.

ccbflo

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I've had my Darwin since early December and am only on my second atty. The first was a 3.5 i06 from ikenvape which died just before new years, but i think my adapter (510-510 sealed) screwed up the insulator. The second is a 2.5 i06 and is still going strong. I vape hard all day, everyday usually right at 8.4. The most important thing i've learned is to never drip on a hot atty. I take a couple draws with no power to cool it off, then drip and wait 10-30 seconds for the juice to soak in. I never clean em either, just blow em out once in a while. the i06 is a workhorse and I rarely get any leaks.
Good luck with whatever you choose!

rrayda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
the icy northlands
It's been a while but I think I've got it figured out. Seems as though it was my juice...

I've switched to pretty much exclusively vaping Boba's Bounty for the last few months and I've literally not blown a single atty since then. I've tried a few other atties just to make sure I didn't find an immortal atomizer, but it's not the case. Problem solved. For some reason, the combination of juices I was using (Boba's, Tribeca, and an assortment of BWB) was killing atties insane fast.

I suspect it was particulates from the BWB tobaccos I was vaping. I suppose I'll never really know what the deal was, but now it's fixed. Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread