What mod is this that exploded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
No, it doesnt unless you use the wrong pin and set it up improperly.

The Fuhatten comes with a pair of fixed center pins of different lengths.
When set up correctly the battery stays in place and only the lower contact moves when the switch is depressed.

Always use your gear properly.

vape safe.
Know your gear.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I think you could push the battery up enough to push up a loose center pin on an atomizer in the 4nine mod, though of course you should only be using fixed pin atomizers on a direct to battery mod.

Its been a while since Ive opened a 4nine.
You might be right, but I dont think so.

It doesnt really have a switch just that magnet thing and a button.
However the insulator in the top of the battery should rest on the shoulder inside the top cap, and the atty deck on the tube shoulder.

When set up properly again the battery shouldnt move up and crush the atty pin.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Its been a while since Ive opened a 4nine.
You might be right, but I dont think so.

It doesnt really have a switch just that magnet thing and a button.
However the insulator in the top of the battery should rest on the shoulder inside the top cap, and the atty deck on the tube shoulder.

When set up properly again the battery shouldnt move up and crush the atty pin.
If you pair the proper equipment together, it should never happen. Just pointing out a mod where pushing up the button could push the battery into the atomizer pin.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
If you pair the proper equipment together, it should never happen. Just pointing out a mod where pushing up the button could push the battery into the atomizer pin.

I remember now.
The 4nine has an insulator inside the top cap separating the negative atty threads from touching the top of the cell.
;)
*Not my pic.
images.jpg

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Well that's a thoughtful design.

Overall its not that great of a mod if I recall.
The switch is a floating magnet kinda thing.
Fiddly device.
Some like it. It was one of the first popular direct to battery mods.
However it is pretty well vented and I dont think I recall ever seeing one blown apart, though I could be wrong.

There are some people who you could lock in a padded cell for an hour with two bowling balls and they would break one and loose the other.

If it can be done wrong, someone will eventually do it.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
With all this talk of exploding mechs circulating here and on FB, I got the urge...

The urge, I'll admit, also came after seeing a bunch of handchecks featuring Twisted Messes RDAs and the like on Emmas and Bamboos with the caption "...old school..." HA!

I built my Scar single coil to .89 and put it on my Bagua 14500. Tootle, and safe!

I built my MiniDID to .89 and put it on my MiniNemi in 14650 mode. Noice (that mesh, tho...)!

I built my ErlK to 1.7 and set it on a Kicked Chi You... running wide open at 12 watts with a Panasonic BF rated to only 10 amps... A tank on a mech? Gasp! Living dangerous, now! Right on the edge!! That throat hit, tho...

Then, I decided to go for broke! I put a dual coil, .4 ohm setup in an UD Igo W7 on my old Turtleship.

Tomorrow, I'll have a cloud contest with myself and run my SOI Subzero on the Cricket opposite the Turtleship lol

The point is, I checked my builds, built within the limits of the mods and the batteries, and I still have a face...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
On the heels of last night's escapade... let's call it adventures in safe building... I just met a statistic in progress...

Argh!

Young kid... maybe early 20s... his "friend" sold him a Rig V2 with the Roughneck RDA. His "friend" sold him a bunch of batteries... efests and torn casings. Kid asks me how to change the battery... goes to drop a fresh battery with tears at top and bottom into the copper tube... I patch the casings as I don't have any wraps with me. It's a 20 A battery. I asked him what resistance he's running. "What's resistance?" I try to explain, but see his eyes start to glaze. Ugh... I also gave him a case as I watched him start to tuck the old battery into his jeans pocket.

Let's recap... hybrid mech, torn casings, no knowledge of ohms law. Film at 11...

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
On the heels of last night's escapade... let's call it adventures in safe building... I just met a statistic in progress...

Argh!

Young kid... maybe early 20s... his "friend" sold him a Rig V2 with the Roughneck RDA. His "friend" sold him a bunch of batteries... efests and torn casings. Kid asks me how to change the battery... goes to drop a fresh battery with tears at top and bottom into the copper tube... I patch the casings as I don't have any wraps with me. It's a 20 A battery. I asked him what resistance he's running. "What's resistance?" I try to explain, but see his eyes start to glaze. Ugh... I also gave him a case as I watched him start to tuck the old battery into his jeans pocket.

Let's recap... hybrid mech, torn casings, no knowledge of ohms law. Film at 11...

I would have asked him if he normally shoved high powered metal devices in his mouth and sucked on them without understanding how they worked.

Its a legitimate question.
:facepalm:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Reactions: yvaiwhy

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Reactions: MMW

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
There is always some uneducated idiot who thinks they are smarter than everyone else and wants to regulate and rule the peons "for their own good".

That idiot isnt a journalist and cant even explain how one works.
Its a damn flashlight.
Maybe, but I have to agree with him. Ceasing online sales does not mean that mechs won't exist... doesn't mean someone will march into your home and confiscate your mechs... it just means the likelihood of some idiot getting a hold of one and blowing their face off might be reduced. Doesn't mean they won't...

b206ead58d77402de8976199b95b04c8.jpg

And, it matters not whether the device is safe or exploding. What matters, sadly, is public perception. I can walk into Walmart in ten minutes time (cause I'd have to druve there, first), and purchase a lighter and black powder... no questions asked... However, there have been no poignant stories about how little Bobby blew his fingers off with black powder and a lighter airing on the news globally as of late. Oh, yeah, and the gun lobby...

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Maybe, but I have to agree with him. Ceasing online sales does not mean that mechs won't exist... doesn't mean someone will march into your home and confiscate your mechs... it just means the likelihood of some idiot getting a hold of one and blowing their face off might be reduced. Doesn't mean they won't...

b206ead58d77402de8976199b95b04c8.jpg

And, it matters not whether the device is safe or exploding. What matters, sadly, is public perception. I can walk into Walmart in ten minutes time (cause I'd have to druve there, first), and purchase a lighter and black powder... no questions asked... However, there have been no poignant stories about how little Bobby blew his fingers off with black powder and a lighter airing on the news globally as of late. Oh, yeah, and the gun lobby...

I am 100% responsible and safe when I use my mechanicals.

I can use them safely (obviously as I own close to 130 of them).

I am not alone. Many responsible adults safely use mechs every day.

We took time to educate ourselves.
It wasnt hard.

Why would I, or any responsible adult want to ban a perfectly safe tool, just because a few reckless, uneducated idiots blew their devices up because they were too lazy to spend a few hours learning to use the tool before shoving it into a facial orifice?
That would be bat-:censored: crazy!

The lunatics do not get to run the asylum

FYI: I could easily use that device in that pic safely.:)

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
What matters, sadly, is public perception
Let's talk about that.
Public perception doesn't matter one bit to me. They can perceive it however they want and for any reason they want and it doesn't effect me. If erroneous perception somehow unjustly worms its way into the law of the land it *still* doesn't effect me. I know what I know and I know the truth, and I'm the guy who is so resolute in that truth I vape openly in airports.
I am not the keeper of future generations of vapers who don't know or don't believe the truth.

One tootle puff in the back of a church equals 10,000 mod explosions in the public's eye. Constantly worrying about it does us absolutely no good. Vape on!

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Let's talk about that.
Public perception doesn't matter one bit to me. They can perceive it however they want and for any reason they want and it doesn't effect me. If erroneous perception somehow unjustly worms its way into the law of the land it *still* doesn't effect me. I know what I know and I know the truth, and I'm the guy who is so resolute in that truth I vape openly in airports.
I am not the keeper of future generations of vapers who don't know or don't believe the truth.

One tootle puff in the back of a church equals 10,000 mod explosions in the public's eye. Constantly worrying about it does us absolutely no good. Vape on!
"Let's talk about that."

And then proceed to state that there is no other truth but your own?

Really?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
"Let's talk about that."

And then proceed to state that there is no other truth but your own?

Really?

There is only one "truth".
Opinions may vary but not the truth.

I dont play the "image" game either.
I call stupid when I see it and I dont sugar coat risk or responsibility.

These accidents happen due to a lack of critical thinking.
The blame game comes from a lack of personal responsibility.
Neither are signs of maturity.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
Since some believe that public perception is what matters, I would like to know concrete real life examples of what you do to put vaping in a "good light" to the public. It's pretty easy to point fingers at the poor charred saps and blame them for your woes, but what are you doing about it?

[Edit: I actually just noticed what subforum this is in. Philosophical questions are probably better off elsewhere. sooorrry. But I'll leave it here anyway.]

Last edited:
Reactions: Bad Ninja
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread