What options are there for a totally leak proof RBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Center Fire

Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
San Diego
So I bought a provari and a ZAP for my first set up. I know this is a great "home" kit, and am ecstatic to have something so nice. However, I am an infantry Marine, and much of my time is spent in the field. I know the ZAP is notorious for leaking if placed on its side or especially upside down. Therein lies my problem...There are no shelves or desks to place my stand and provari right side up in the field, or running errands around the barracks. I need a good rba that wont leak no matter what position its in, as it will probably spend at least half the day in my pocket even when I'm not jacking around in some godforsaken fighting hole. I have done some research and have seen 3 potentials. The Penelope, Odysseus, and G-tank-US. However, I know none of them are readily available; also they all have another draw back, which is they all have fiber wicks, and I know it can mess with the flavor.

I was wondering what other options are out there. I'd really love to find something perfect for my specific application. Absolutely spill proof, SS wick, and metal tank.

Im wondering if I should just get an atty for outside use and drip instead, but id really like to be independent from buying attys all the time....

All information is welcome!

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
You know, I almost wanted to say, Start designing one" not to be a smarty, but just being serious. Then I looked at what is sitting on top of my SS ZMax2 and had a thought. The IGO-L is an all SS dripper atty and will more than likely put up with more abuse than any PV you can put it on. It doesn't hold alot of juice, but there in was the reason the light bulb went off in my head.

If you just have a minute to stop and vape, popo the o-ring cap off (no screw on threads yay) drop 3-5 drops, replace cap and vape. If you have a few minutes, load it with 10-12 drops. You may be thinking that a dripping atty needs silica, but check out the vid I just did. The space is small to work in to set it up, but flavor was amazing. I'm not saying it won't leak, but I've had it on it's side alot and it hasn't. I don't tend to leave it filled up, I drip, use it and set it down. You can always drop the whole rig into a plastic baggy for pocket storage, more for water protection but also for the random drip (there won't be much more unless you fill it to the brim and put it away without using it).

Last edited:

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
I would say a Vivi Nova with a stainless steel mesh

I can lay it down on its side all day and mine doesnt leak...
A 3.5ml one will sit on a Provari nicely.
Or you can get a mini and a twist (or comparable) and have a very small ecig for out and about.

With the stainless steel mesh, the taste/vapor/throat it is pretty good.
Not as good as a RBA...but way better than a silica in my opinion.

You can get a metal or plastic tank, and also rebuild the heads on them to save money.

Sir Center Fire

Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
San Diego
You know, I almost wanted to say, Start designing one" not to be a smarty, but just being serious. Then I looked at what is sitting on top of my SS ZMax2 and had a thought. The IGO-L is an all SS dripper atty and will more than likely put up with more abuse than any PV you can put it on. It doesn't hold alot of juice, but there in was the reason the light bulb went off in my head.

If you just have a minute to stop and vape, popo the o-ring cap off (no screw on threads yay) drop 3-5 drops, replace cap and vape. If you have a few minutes, load it with 10-12 drops. You may be thinking that a dripping atty needs silica, but check out the vid I just did. The space is small to work in to set it up, but flavor was amazing. I'm not saying it won't leak, but I've had it on it's side alot and it hasn't. I don't tend to leave it filled up, I drip, use it and set it down. You can always drop the whole rig into a plastic baggy for pocket storage, more for water protection but also for the random drip (there won't be much more unless you fill it to the brim and put it away without using it).

I really really like this option...Simple and cheap, yet effective and just what im looking for. So its basically a RBA without the tank then? You just drip strait onto the wick and vape away? How many drags can you take from a fully saturated wick before you run dry?

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
My suggestion would be for a (almost) sealed rebuildable like the phoenix or the IGO-L, or even a modified A7 (sealed bottom feeding hole, extra air hole drilled on its side).

Theoretically those RBA might leak a drop or two if kept sidewise or upsidedown, but if you keep little juice in them, not much of a problem.

Last what I may see as a perfect fit, even though not a rebuildable, nor a tank: the Boge cartomizers :)

9ball_AJ

On the Snap...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
To the OP, i feel your pain, I really do. I use a DID short on a P+350, and I have been able to get it to be completely leak free. If you keep the screw in the fill hole it will not leak, however that usually causes wicking issues that leads to dry hits and more frustration. What i have found is that if you roll a tight solid wick that takes up only 60-75% of the wick hole, the atty will not leak, and wicking issues are alleviated. I have been using this method for several months, and my P+/DID goes everywhere with me, stays in my pocket and doesn't leak even if left horizontal for hours. I have used this same type of build on the standard and mini DIDs as well with much success.

The suggestion of a Kanger T3 or MT3 on an ego is a good suggestion, and I have seen people re-build them with SS Mesh, but I am not sure how well it works. I keep one of these with me most of the time as a backup / don't care if I lose or break it type of setup.

I wish you luck in your quest for a leak free setup!

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
I really really like this option...Simple and cheap, yet effective and just what im looking for. So its basically a RBA without the tank then? You just drip strait onto the wick and vape away? How many drags can you take from a fully saturated wick before you run dry?
That is such a relative question, slave to so many variables. You can drip from 3-15 or more drops. I don't currently have alot of wick in the well but can put more juice in than the wick can hold, it just sits in the well. I just use enough to get juice to the atty, other people probably use more than I.

As far as vape time between top offs, figure how long x drops would last at y watts on your current set up and it should be pretty comparable. Do some experimenting at home when you get it to find out how many vapes you get from 3, 6, 9 and 12 drops and full with YOUR watt/volt setting and vape style. Then when you are in the field and you have time to vape, drip according to the amount of time you have. You can literally top this thing off in 10 seconds including uncapping and recapping your juice bottle, so you have some fudge factor. My father was a 24 year Marine, retired a Master Gunnery SGT. I know what it means to want quality and dependable gear in your pack.

The only downside I can imagine is the rare case if you pop a coil or anything that in your environment, can't afford the down time to wrap one or repar whatever. With the price though having a prebuilt back up with you is sound advice. Make sure you have two working as part of gear checks before you hit the base. In normal conditions a coil could last you a month...

Last edited:

nz1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
NY
On the genesis, I agree to “keep the screw in the fill hole”.
My setup has the wick fit snuggly or slightly tight into the wick hole. The wick is rolled tightly but has a center hole so that a paper pin can fit through it.
With fill hole plugged, you'll need to "help" the wicking by dragging without supplying the power, in-between vapes. The air movement causes the pressure inside the chamber to drop, juice gets pushed out from tank, and replacing air travels through the center hole into the tank. It’ll takes a bit to get use to. Clear tanks help a lot as air bubbles are visible - so you know how much juice went into the wick. Since the wicking becomes “on-demand”, no problem with chain vaping too.
This setup wont leak in a short term (hours at least), but might leak after longer time – I found it out a week later after I had about dozen tanks filled and left laying around.

My current carry-around are several modified A7 (on zmax, kgo, vision spinner)
edit1.jpg
The inside airtube is extended by ~5mm, using gauge 16 syringe needle. The driptip is “extended” using stainless chopstick (amazon). Both cut with dremel.
15-20 drops each fill (25-30 drops at 1st use / after cleaning)
Wick just long enough to touch the base – easy to check juice level
Handy to clean – wash, paper towel, dry burn
vape upside down, side way, no problem.

16 gauge needle: Bottles : Luer Lock Needles

They also have a good collection of wires. The German made silica works quite good, and won’t break into small fragments.
Wick and Wire

for more:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/367236-rba-general-info.html

Sir Center Fire

Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
San Diego
Hey guys, I really appreciate all the helpful responses. I am torn in so many directions...I think I need to do research on all the options you guys posted. Im really leaning towards a terminator clone...I just wish I could find a ody v2 for sale somewhere...Im going to try and get on the classifieds and pick one up...But until then its youtube videos and crawling the forums here to learn what I can about all the options!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread