What to do if ecig vents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
Personally I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to treat my batteries with care and let the chips fall where they may.

The metal box is a good idea, but are you planning to carry it with you everywhere? It's not guaranteed that you will be home if and when something goes wrong with one of your batteries.

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA
It depends.

If the battery gets hot, which is very rare, you might as well toss it; it's done.

If it's the heating element, that's quite normal. It really doesn't matter if you let it cool or not. You're just pushing it real hard, and you're a candidate for an eGo.

Slim cigarettes, disposable or rechargeable, usually have a 5 second limiter. eGo's usually have a 10 second limiter; what fits your needs best?

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
Your wallet ? :p

Batteries don't go pop unless something wrong is done to it .
Would have thought even disposables have to provide some containment and controlling vents .

+1, properly made and used lithium batteries should not go into meltdown mode. And even the cheapest Ecig should have protection built in. Be aware of the danger, and use your batteries properly.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Hi,just wondering if my disposable ecig started to vent or get really hot for some reason is the best thing to put in a metal box and then away from you, I'm thinking of buying some type of stainless steel box in case the situation arises, thanks.

You also have plans for meteor strikes?

Statistically speaking, they're probably more frequent.

By the way, what about your cell phone? Also, do you have a laptop computer? A tablet like an iPad? A Kindle reader? An MP3 player (like an iPod or other)?

Same batteries.

Oh yes they are. If you have any of the above that have replaceable batteries, open the device up and see if you don't see "lithium ion" printed on the battery. In fact, I'll bet money you'll see "3.7v lithium ion" with an mAh rating just like an e-cig or PV.

In the US, there are over 300 million activated cell phones. More cell active cell phones than there are people living here (I'm serious). So there are--just in cell phones--more lithium ion batteries in use than people living in the US. If they vent frequently, where's all the news show panic? I can find a handful of alleged incidents in a global search. You are far, far more likely to get hit by a bus. While being struck by lightning. While wining the lottery.

Dunno the statistics in your country but every time you see somebody with a cell phone, that's a lithium ion battery. Same as used in e-cigs and PVs. Every iPad, iPod, Kindle reader, laptop... all of them. Same battery technology.

If you're going to plan for Li-Ion venting, you got a lotta work cut out for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread