What to replace carto-tank with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
I've spent most of the last 2 years with a vamo and a carto-tank at 4-5W. I have finally broken the tank, besides its getting difficult to source boge's. I liked the carto-tank for its reliability and consistency, it just worked and it degraded gradually when it gunked up. I could take it out and know it would still be working when I got home.

What tank to replace it with? I vape 60 PG/40 VG liquid.

I was thinking to get a nautilus, but I don't like the threaded bell glass much: thats an accident waiting to happen. I much prefer the atlantis, Can I use nautilus coils in the atlantis? they look pretty much the same in the pics.

Someone recommended the Subox tank, subtank, as it has a range of prebuilt heads for it, from what I'm used to at 1.8 ohm here down to 0.5 ohm for when I replace the vamo. And it also has a rebuildable deck.

Alternatively I could get a separate rebuildable, something like a goblin mini.

What do people think of these, or is there something else I should be looking at?

I'll probably stick with prebuilt coils initially, and learn to rebuild as I go along. I'm just looking for something reliable to keep me off the smokes.

Last edited:

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I'm a mouth to lung vaper all the way, and I found the Subtank way to airy for me even when almost all the way closed down.

They are a little expensive but the Kabuki which takes Nautilus coils could fit the bill. The clone is very inexpensive and works just as well. I have two authentics and bought a clone just for the hell of it and can't tell the difference!

If you're into rebuilding then I'd say the way to go would be the Kayfun v2. About the best old school M2L vape there is!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
The Kabuki looks nice. Its a bit small and apparently has difficulties with the new nautilus/triton coils?
Well, it's not a product I would buy. If you are happy with one expensive tank then sure. Value is important now as in Europe it's all illegal (tanks over 2ml)soon. I'd rather a team of $10 tanks which work and can be broken/lost.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
OK thats -2 for the Subox tank. Pity, it seemed like a nice tank.

The Kabuki looks nice. Its a bit small and apparently has difficulties with the new nautilus/triton coils?

I haven't had any difficulties with any nautilus coils yet. Nor have I heard of any. Can you link some threads or point me in a direction? It does look a bit small but as a M2L vaper I get a solid day out of it before I have to fill it back up. (Granted its not the only device I carry throughout the day).

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Baditude

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I've recently replaced my carto tank with the big Nautilus. Priming is easy, as is refilling. Gives me that good open airflow vape that I only got with a new carto-all the time. No interest in the Kabuki, and the coils for the naughty seem more available and might be around for a longer time than the GSAIR.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2013
    AU
    I haven't had any difficulties with any nautilus coils yet. Nor have I heard of any. Can you link some threads or point me in a direction?
    Sorry, no. I've been all over the place, and can't find it again.
    I hadn't realized so many tanks could use nautilus coils and hence the nautilus could use coils from so many tanks. Or maybe I'm getting it wrong.I think I got it from someone that said the triton was better than the nautilus, though I'm not sure if they were comparing the tanks or the coils, now. They mentioned that the tridents didn't fit properly in their Kubuki, caused a gasket to bend out of shape.

EDIT: The problem is mentioned this thread but for a triton mini head.

It does look a bit small but as a M2L vaper I get a solid day out of it before I have to fill it back up.
    I'm using an evod at the moment, and am filling it 4-5 times a day so a larger tank is a plus, still most seem to be 3ml or less.

Is there a list somewhere of what coils fit what tanks?

EDIT: from the same thread
    List of Nautilus coil-using tanks,
    • Nautilus
    • Nautilus Mini
    • Silo
    • Anyvape Peakomizer
    • Kabuki
    • Triton Mini

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I was a long time cartotank user. I'm into rebuildable drip atomizers currently. I find rebuildable drip atomizers to be less expensive (wire and cotton are dirt cheap), and provide the best flavor and most vapor. However, not everyone wants to get into rebuildables, and they will prefer the convenience and simplicity of using factory made coils. Whatever works best for you.

Information Resources for Your First RBA
    • An essential read and referrance guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.
    If I were you, I'd get an inexpensive Kabuki clone, and make sure to purchase only authentic Aspire Nautilus replacement coils for it. Avoid buying coils advertised as "similar to" Nautilus coils, as they are not made by Aspire. The Kabuki uses Aspire Nautilus coils; Nautilus coils have been around for years and have proven their consistancy and performance; in fact, their design changed the clearomizer market for the better.

The Kabuki doesn't have the upper tapered glass of the Nautilus. The Kabuki (authentic) is an expensive tank (made in USA?). The Kabuki clones are made in China (much less expensive, similar quality as an authentic).

A new product that recently came onto the market is the Kanger Pangu . It is a tank which uses what appears to be a replaceable hybrid cartomizer and clearomizer head. I have no experience with this tank, but looks like it could be the future for previous cartotank users.

Last edited:
    Reactions: mattrix

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    I also like the Kabuki, it takes Aspire Nautilus coils. You can get a Kabuki clone on ebay for 12-14 $. I liked them so bought 3 :) I did get one with a bad coil so just replace with a new coil. I have back up Cartos and tanks for my golden years too :)
    I also have a Nautilus tank and I like it but like the Kabuki better because I get no leaks in the Kabuki and the Nautilus leaks out the air holes sometimes and you cannot lay it on it's side and Kabuki no leaks and you can lay it on it's side with no leaks. Plus I think the vape is a bit better on Kabuki.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS
    I'm an old carto tank user. I ended up with kayfuns as my tank of choice. I agree that the subtank would be quite a departure from what you are used to. I do have the goblin mini and do single coils, but it would also be too big a change IMO. I would stick with more MTL type tanks if I were you.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    I also have a Nautilus tank and I like it but like the Kabuki better because I get no leaks in the Kabuki and the Nautilus leaks out the air holes sometimes and you cannot lay it on it's side and Kabuki no leaks and you can lay it on it's side with no leaks. Plus I think the vape is a bit better on Kabuki.

I lay my Nautilus on it's side all of the time without any problems. In fact I carry it to work on it's side in the side pouch of my lunch bag. Never once had a problem with it leaking, and I've owned the thing since the Nautilus was first introduced.

If you're worried about breaking the glass tank just get yourself one of the metal sleeved ones.

2-14052P92ZCR.jpg

mattrix

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2013
    AU
    WOW thanks so much for the response everyone.

So the consensus is Kabuki !! (clone I'm afraid)
    I found a 4ml version on fasttech , Is this one OK?
    People are talking about blasting the aspire coils with 17+ watts; if I go for 1.8 ohm that will run with well under 10 watts?

And a Kayfun for future rebuilding, again from fasttech, this one doesn't look the same as the vids I've been watching, no air or fluid control. Do I need them?

@ckquatt I have edited my earlier post.

Reactions: bnrkwest

ckquatt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 8, 2013
    Milledgeville, GA
    WOW thanks so much for the response everyone.

People are talking about blasting the aspire coils with 17+ watts; if I go for 1.8 ohm that will run with well under 10 watts?

And a Kayfun for future rebuilding, again from fasttech
    This one doesn't look the same as the vids I've been watching, no air or fluid control. Do I need them?

@ckquatt I have edited my earlier post.
    I dont know about watts but I run my 1.8 ohm coils in my Kabuki at 4.7 volts on my Provari (it doesn't read watts). I know on my Radius my sweet spot is 14 watts. By the way I just got my new Provari in today with the p3 threading and the Kabuki (this ones a real one) at 4.7 volts on the 1.8 ohm coil is an amazing vape!
    556E8039-6582-4F61-84FE-F889AE1DD734.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Yes.
    Yes.

And a Kayfun for future rebuilding, again from fasttech, this one doesn't look the same as the vids I've been watching, no air or fluid control. Do I need them?
    The Kayfun that you linked to is a version 3.1 version. There are several versions of Kayfun.

Most Kayfuns do not have air or fluid control. Air control is preferable when offered/available. Almost all Kayfuns have a mouth-to-lung (tighter) draw, as opposed to a direct-to-lung (open) draw.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    I lay my Nautilus on it's side all of the time without any problems. In fact I carry it to work on it's side in the side pouch of my lunch bag. Never once had a problem with it leaking, and I've owned the thing since the Nautilus was first introduced.

If you're worried about breaking the glass tank just get yourself one of the metal sleeved ones.

2-14052P92ZCR.jpg
    I am usung the glass tank only and it is leaky for me, I have the metal tanks and need to try that. I get some leaks out of the air holes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread