What to set Provari on for Aspire Nautilus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
Hello! I've been away from ECF for a few years. I have been using my Bella/Phiniac tanks with cartos for several years now with no problems. Just recently, I've been having some real issues with the cartos tasting burnt right from the start, so I've been looking into a whole new set up to get away from cartos. The Aspire Nautilus tank seems to be pretty popular, so I've ordered two, to see how they do for me. My question is, where should I start with the setting on my Provari? I was using 3.0 ohm cartos, and setting the Provari around 4.6-5.0. These Aspire tanks only come with the coils at 1.6-1.8 ohms. Where should I start off with my Provari setting?

Edited to add: Any idea how long the coils will last between changes? And are you able to clean them to make them last longer? Videos showing this would be nice.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hello @Kay1959. I have a few of the Nautilus Mini and one full size and love them. They come with 1.6 or 1.8 ohm BVC coils (bottom vertical coils). I would recommend starting low (10 watts) take a hit and bump it up. I usually vape my Nautilus between 12 and 15 watts (which is around 4.6 to 6 volts on my regulated mod). Coils usually last from 10 days to 2 weeks for me, less if the juice is really dark or really sweet. You'll love the vape from the Nautilus.
Good luck in your vape journey.

Reactions: Kay1959

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
I suggest you start at 3.7 volts and go up or down from there. Soon you will learn what feels right for you. (1.8 ohm coil at 3.8 volts is 8 watts and if I did my calculations right, you've been vaping at between 6 and 8 watts.)

How long a coil lasts often is determined by the liquid. The clearer lighter colored liquids will last the longest, especially if more PG and VG. I have found that my Nauti coils usually last at least as long as a good performing carto in a carto tank, and usually a few more re-fills.

Nauti has been a great "topper" for me and I'm sure you'll groove in quickly.

P.S. I don't try to clean or rebuild and such. If you want to try, I suggest a vodka bath and a long drying period. This can revive for a very short time, or not! The coils are very similar to a tiny carto. If you enjoyed cleaning your carto's -- do the same with these.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
On my Provari, iStick 50W, or any other mod I start off at 3.7v and move up to the voltage or wattage that produces the vapor I want with the flavor I'm looking for. Past 15 watts almost any tank I use starts to taste a little burnt with my Hangsen 80pg/20vg juices.

With 3 ohm coils you can go higher in voltage. When you get down into the 1.6 ohm range, you are at almost twice the wattage (heat) you were at 3 ohms on the same voltage. So, somewhere around half the voltage you used at 3 ohms would be a good starting point for the 1.6/1.8 ohm Nautilus coils. Go up from there.

The Nautilus also has an airflow ring that opens and closes the air inlet. Thicker juices need more vacuum (smaller air slot) and thinner juices need less vacuum (larger end of the slot). If you set the airflow too low or too high you can get dry hits or flooding in the coil. The coil is vacuum fed when you draw on it. Experiment for the right setting with the juice you use.

You can clean the coils by soaking in grain alcohol (ethanol, not isopropyl/rubbing alcohol). Ethanol is safe to ingest. Over the counter alcohol (Isopropyl) you buy at the drug or grocery store is poisonous to drink or inhale. If you use alcohol, get it from the liquor store. Everclear is almost pure ethanol. A bottle can last you for a year or two if you only use it sparingly to clean coils.

Lots of people use an ultrasonic cleaner and water/ethanol, and run the heads through 2 or three cycles to clean them. The higher the wattage, the faster the cleaning. Harbor Freight has a cheap one and one that costs more. I have the small one and it takes a long time to clean coil heads. I thought about buying the more expensive, higher wattage model, but now that I'm winding my own coils for an RTA I just remove the wick, dry burn, and install a new wick.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks all! Not too many have commented about longevity. About how many tank fulls can I expect to get, on average, before having to change the coil? I vape mostly clear juice, so that's not a problem.

I haven't used my Nautilus in a long time, over a year. Back then coils were lasting a day or two and I'd chuck them and install a new one. It was too expensive at that rate. I think that's been fixed, though. I'm a Kayfun 3 and 4 vaper these days and I wind a coil every two or three months. I replace the wick at 3 to 7 day intervals and that's easy to do.

Maybe someone who is currently using Aspire Nautilus coil heads can give you an estimate on life. Clear juices with low sweetener levels will certainly extend coil life.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
Thanks all! Not too many have commented about longevity. About how many tank fulls can I expect to get, on average, before having to change the coil? I vape mostly clear juice, so that's not a problem.
I chain vape a mini and I usually refill close to 3x daily, the coil I have in now is 8 days old. I vape NET's exclusively and are said to gunk up a coil more/quicker. That said, I do mix unflavored with my NET so it is a weaker NET which may play some role in the gunk issue.

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
I was in the exact same boat as you, with the exact same question. Here is what I was told, and the advice has worked perfectly. For the Nautilus coils the sweet spot is generally right around 2 volts over the ohm level on a Provari. In other words, for the 1.6 ohm coil set at 3.6 volts, the 1.8 ohm coil set at 3.8 volts. This has worked very well for me, and I get all the vapor and flavor that I could want with no fiddling around. Oddly, the factory 1.6 ohm coils all read 1.8 ohms on my Provari, so I set them for 3.8 volts. I am right at one month now on one of my coils, and it is till working perfectly. I am however using light colored Hangsen and Dekang tobacco e-juices. I vape 3 to 5mls per day, so the coils last very well. Hope that helps.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hello! I've been away from ECF for a few years. I have been using my Bella/Phiniac tanks with cartos for several years now with no problems. Just recently, I've been having some real issues with the cartos tasting burnt right from the start, so I've been looking into a whole new set up to get away from cartos. The Aspire Nautilus tank seems to be pretty popular, so I've ordered two, to see how they do for me. My question is, where should I start with the setting on my Provari? I was using 3.0 ohm cartos, and setting the Provari around 4.6-5.0. These Aspire tanks only come with the coils at 1.6-1.8 ohms. Where should I start off with my Provari setting?

Edited to add: Any idea how long the coils will last between changes? And are you able to clean them to make them last longer? Videos showing this would be nice.

Well reading through these excellent responses, you can see the Nautilus coils last anywhere from a day to a month :p So I guess the answer depends on you... I vape mostly Naturally Extracted Tobaccos, at 18 mg or a little higher, and its tough on coils. I have a low tolerance to a burned coil, don't believe in cleaning them (not worth my time at the cost, and have some doubts that any cleaning can get rid of ALL that junk that builds up, and end up replacing after two or three days on my current liquids). Once I taste a harsher slightly burnt taste that coils a goner - I draw on it with the battery OFF, you can tell if its burnt bad then for sure.

The new Aspire Nautilus coils are organic cotton coils which I like though. :) Here are the factors as I seem them in coil life:
1. Eliquid - lighter types likely make for longer coil life, heavier/darker vapes and NETs eat them up
2. You - how much do you vape? I'm about 3 mils a day at most.
3. Your taste - I have seen it expressed that some people LIKE the slightly burnt harsher taste of a coil thats a little gunked up. Maybe they vape them forever. Or maybe their taste buds are dead. I'm sensitive to a burnt taste, won't have it.
4. Nicotine levels - is this a factor? i really don't know.. mine is 16 to 24 mg (usually 16 to 18 on the nautilus).
5. Affordability/Tightwadiness factor- If you can afford a fresh coil and aren't tight with money, then you're more likely to replace sooner. I buy the 5 pack at 10 to 11 bucks.
I would guess you are a coil a week person. Wait, you can afford a Provari while I'm doing an Eleaf istick 30W (which I love) so you can afford two a week. :p

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC

Oh, and to answer your question as to where to start with the Nautilus, why the correct answer is of course with the organic cotton coils, start low, and work your way up. First per the instructions, make SURE you give the coils a few minutes to suck up the juice or you will burn that cotton. I take a few draws with battery off, let it sit for a few minutes (like 5 for me) take another draw or two, start at 3.3V,work my way up to my normal 8W (3.8xx V) at 1.8 ohm coils. I am what that call a tootle puffer (I call it cowboy vaper lol), not a cloud chaser. I want a cig replacement, not a fog machine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread