What was your transition from smoking to vaping like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it was seamless. I threw out the pack of cigarettes I had on my person the day I bought my first e-cig. I occasionally find myself thinking about cigarettes and feeling the urge to light one up. Then I remember I'm vaping and I take a few puffs and I'm fine.

I've not had any serious anxieties about cigarettes since I started vaping, I gave into the temptation once to try a puff from a friend's cigarette but it tasted revolting to me and I couldn't stand it. That memory keeps me off tobacco now, not to mention, tobacco flavors, I find them repulsive now.

All in all, the switch was easy for me. I feel fortunate in that.

Doc Diego

Jul 3, 2013
Jackson, MI, USA
Seamless and easy it was not. I played with vaping for a few weeks; then abandoned it for a few years before taking it up a month ago as in digging out my old 510 and going cold turkey from the analogs.

Day 1 was ok. Day 3 was not. Day 5 was the worst. There's more to withdrawal than just nicotine I think, and irritibality definitely is a symtpom. Ask my wife!

I'm on week 4, and I'm still adjusting. Had to move down in nic levels due to headaches and insomnia, which if I wasnt so stubborn and bullheaded for a week prior, even though I've read the forums and symptoms, I should have realized was overdose. Not about to go back to analogs though. :)

ParaGrunt

Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Greenville, OH
I and my wife were 25 year+ smokers and actually quit for a little over two years thanks to Chantix. But I started working around smokers again and coupled with moving to Bahrain where analogs are cheap I started up again about 7 months ago. This time it was different. I got the smoker's cough back almost immediately and really noticed the smell, bad taste etc. So, about 3 weeks ago I saw one of the CPO's with an eGo setup and asked him what the hell that was. He showed me and needless to say I was intrigued. I got on the net and found a TON of information. Pretty overwhelming actually. Ordered a Volcano Inferno and some juice and I haven't had an analog in almost a week! Now, fixing to order a Provari! No real jones for an analog either. Pretty much a seamless transition.

vancat11

Jul 19, 2013
SoCal
Just curious what others experienced. Putting down cigarettes was easy for me but I still sometimes have a hard time with the craving when I see or smell it. luckily for me most of my family and friends have switched to e cigs as well so that's making it much easier :laugh: plus e liquid tastes so much better!

I had been smoking cigarettes for 15 years and have tried to quite a numerous amounts of time. In June 2013 my sister had given me an E-Cig with some juices for me to try. I came to find out that it was a Lava Tube that she gave me with some cartomizers. I instantly liked it and have to purchased any cigarettes since then. As a matter of fact, I just purchased a pro-vari that I should be getting tomorrow so I'm so excited. It's a new addiction and I hope to get my friends to try it soon.

PhreakOne

Jul 18, 2013
United States
Been smoking analogs for 10 1/2 years and honestly I was really sick of it. I had been curious about e-cigs since they started popping up in stores all over the place. I bought a blu disposable but wasn't impressed so I started doing some research online. Found GrimmGreen's you-tube channel and watched a ton of videos. Went out Tuesday morning and got an eGo starter kit and I'm hooked. I'm on day three of vaping and I haven't had any issues so far definitely love the flavors of vaping over the taste of cig smoke. Looking forward to getting into variable voltage and mods in the next few months.

SFBrianT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2013
San Francisco
I smoked for 30 years and thought that switching would be difficult. I had a cigarette on my way to the local b&m and had 5 left in the pack. Those 5 cigarettes are still in the pack sitting on my desk as a reminder. I haven't wanted one since I walked into that store. Though I do have cigarette dreams occasionally.

MotoBlue

May 5, 2013
Stockport, U.K.
It was a long cold winter here in the U.K. We don't smoke in the house and the draught from the back door was pissing me off as i was fighting a bad chest infection and my wife never closes the door when she steps out. I kitted us both out. A week later I realised neither of us were smoking. I hadn't made a conscious decision to stop smoking my pipe. Initially I was just vaping at home and occasionally at work. 2 weeks after starting vaping my collection of pipes built up over 40 years were packed away in the garage.

ohh EPiC FAiL

Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Kansas City, MO
i started taking chantix a few weeks ago and had my last analog a week ago. i went out and bought a green smoke on saturday and i've been using it since then and have stopped taking chantix because of the side effects. the chantix has actually been critical in the transition for me i think because i smoked about a pack and a half a day before and got down to about 3 a day before i ran out. i tried blu like 4 years ago right after i got married, but my wife and i neither one stuck with it. she went on to quit cold turkey when we found out she was preggo with our 2 and a half year old, i tried quitting the day he was born but didn't last very long. i have just finally convinced myself that i am done with tobacco and jumped off the deep end and ordered an iTaste MVP iClear 30 kit and a few halo juices to try out. once i get used to vaping and i've figured out what kind of juices i like i will probably make my own juice.

Linden

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Michigan,USA
Seamless here as well. I didn't actually expect the ecig to work, thought it was going to be just another let-down. My cig-alike came in the mail and there was a week of transition while I waited for my next order because I had no idea that 4mg was a very low dose. During that week, I finished all but 3 cigarettes of a full pack (so I had already cut way back on just 4mg). The 24mg strength came, I didn't smoke those 3 for about another week. I kept having ghost cravings, my mind kept telling me that I wanted an analog so I tried one and it was HORRID. The inhale was dry and too light and tasted disgusting. That was 2.5 years ago and I haven't had a craving since....that taste was all it took to convince my brain that my body did not want cigarettes any more.

thewrightstuff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2013
Mineola, NY
For me it was seamless. After over 20 years of a pack a day (sometimes more), I was ready to quit, it just got too expensive, too stinky and too much of a pain in the .... I tried gum/lozenges/patches/pharmaceuticals, none of these things worked.

The day of my 43rd birthday, October 20th 2012, I was buying a pack of marlboro lights, like I did every day, and saw a logic e-cig behind the counter. I bought it, thinking that I should really give this a try. Had my last analog on my birthday, and my first e-cig, and the rest, as they say, is history. I graduated from the blus and logics of the world pretty quickly from there.

Nalla

Jul 19, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I am new to vaping and this forum, but I don't see how anyone could go back to analog cigs because electronics are "too costly"?? Someone replied to this post with that comment. Am I missing something? Vaping is WAY cheaper than smoking cigarettes for me.
I have so much to learn about vaping. I never thought I would quit smoking, but I HATED it so much when I did it. I have small children and I would try and hide and smoke. I don't want them to ever smoke. I'm only 31 and have been diagnosed with emphysema. I worry every day about lung caner, YET I continued to smoke. It's so disgusting. I love vaping.

Last edited:

Ohyeathat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Apple Valley, Ca
My first week was pretty rough because I chose a low level of nic liquid. So many withdrawal symptoms, ugh. I still had about 3 a day cigarettes during this time. Second week has been much better because I have a few different levels of nic to use. I have not had cigarette it quite a few days and that is partially due to how awful my last cig tasted. I get a craving every now and then for one but I just pick up my ecig and enjoy the yummy flavor.

Last edited:

WKS01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
NV
I had previously quit smoking cold turkey for extended periods of time, but always went back. Since I started vaping a little over 2 weeks ago I have had no desire to smoke. For me the hardest habit to break was the act of smoking. Being already to the point where I no longer wanted to smoke, I feel vaping filled that desire and allowed for a smooth transition.

patrao_n

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
United States
My transition was very very easy. I went from a pack and a half a day. To a couple cans of swedish snus a week. Now to vaping and the occasional snus packet. All in all great experience. Word of advice though. Should you ever have a want for analogs try snus packets. But do not under any circumstances buy the crap camel or marlboro sell. Go for straight up swedish snus.

sent from my Provari with a mini rda!

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
I picked up ego ctwists for me and my girlfriend and some e-juice from a local B&M. I started vaping on a Saturday, I did both for a few days, with less and less analogs, and more and more vaping. By the next week-end I just wasn't getting the satisfaction out of the Newports, and they tasted bad, so I stopped using them. She is still smoking, but has cut back from a pad to about a pack last 3-4 days. So hopefully she will get there too. I keep trying out different e-liqs hoping to find one she really like better than smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread