What was your transition from smoking to vaping like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diogopm

Jun 26, 2013
Portugal
It was way easier than I thought, didn't feel a thing. I bought an Ego-c starter kit with a joyetech mab juice. After the first try, never touched a cigarrete. I still "smoke" once a week. I light up a cigarette, do one or three "puffs" and throw it away. I do this to remind myself of how bad they taste. That way, I never get psychological cravings.

flowerpots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
my desk
My first few months were very easy. I smoked very little. I didn't want to smoke most of the time. I even went 3+ weeks without smoking several times. Now, I am back to smoking a few each day, wanting to smoke more, and having to chain vape to keep satisfied. I'm not sure what happened, except I dropped my nicotine level. I think I may need to increase my nicotine level again, somewhere between 36mg and 24mg.

PDXBLK

Moved On
Jul 21, 2013
It's been a bit of a rough transition for me.
I honestly love smoking, but I'd come to dislike all of the negative qualifiers: the smell, the cost, the health concerns, the constant .....ing of my friends when I'd want to take a break from a group activity to have a smoke, etc.
I tried switching over, but the kit some friends gave me performed so poorly, and the juice was so low, that it barely kept the need for a cigarette away. However, as I've slowly upgraded my kit, I've found it easier and easier to go longer periods of time, even days at a time without tobacco.
I still occasionally want a cigarette, but I know it's the ceremony and tradition I want, not the nicotine.

deadmeadow

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
USA
Haven't had my e-cig (evod) for even a week yet but I'm going to have to say surprisingly easy.
Since I got my e-cig I haven't even touched ONE cigarette. Today when I woke up I saw a pack of reds on counter and had a bit of a craving for one but I went straight for my e-cig and the craving went away, got another flavor on the way and excited to try that out. I have quit in small spurts before but they were kind of hell compared to how easy this is going so far.

Dustin Brown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Albuquerque
It took me two days of vaping and smoking before I fully transitioned. The first week was great. Some wicked intense dreams. Then I got sick. Nasty chest congestion and the runs! It was pretty awful. All that lasted about a week. Since I have felt better than I have in years. I even ran around for a few minutes. It was pretty neat. Oh, but I do have acne now. It's a bummer. Haven't had any since probably high school but do now as a thirty year man. Kind of a bummer.

Lombaowski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
DC via the 313
I bought the Green Smoke ecig about 4 years ago and tried that for awhile as I was still smoking, I liked it but it wasn't a replacement. I went back to it on and off for about 18 months and then forgot about it.

A guy at work started vaping and so I thought I'd give it another try but the Green Smoke ecig was dead. Bought a Vapor 4 Life ecig and I liked some of the carto flavors, especially the Caffe Mocha. So then I bought the USB passthrough which I still use, and a few batteries. Tried to start smoking this at night after work, but still was smoking cigarettes.

In April of this year I wanted to give it a more sincere approach. I knew my childhood friend had opened a B&M vapor shop in Panama City, Florida and I was going there for a wedding in June. So I started to prep. First thing I did was stop smoking in the car, just the ecig. Then I tried to cut back more and more but I was slipping and falling a lot back into a pack a day. I still avoided smoking in the car though, six of my daily 20+ cigs were in the car.

So I knew enough to quit which was key for me. I had figured out the nicotine level needed (had jitters off 24mg, 6 mg wasn't nearly enough) and I had a good idea of the flavors I liked and wanted.

In June I went to Florida and my friend outfitted me with an eGo-T, the Smoktech Artemas UDCT and all the fixings. I knew what flavors I would like so I ordered some fruit juices from V4L and bought some from him. The next day I used the eGo and smoked a few cigarettes but I told a bunch of people who cared, that I quit. So I was making it work.

The first week was rough, I cheated only once though two days after quitting and had one cigarette. As each day passed however, it got a little easier. Since it was so hot out it was even better no longer having to go outside, but I still had to break all my routines. I vaped a lot, almost constantly. Even a month after I quit I thought of smoking after I ate, but haven't had that feeling in about two weeks. So I think my routine is now with a PV. :)

Now I am just trying to learn the lingo and find a great juice company with American made juices, and learn how to most effectively use the set-ups I have. For me I'm not going to get real fancy anytime soon unless I get bored with the Ego or Artemas, and I still work the v4L mods into the rotation. Not on the DIY bandwagon yet but I think I'll end up in that group. I mix together almost all the flavors I have now with something else, creating the perfect brews for my moods.

Pretty sure this is going to stick to be honest. My cardiovascular system is recovering nicely, I don't smell like cigarettes and neither do my cars. No more butts to pick up out of the flower bed in the front yard, no more yearning for a smoke at airport layover points where I don't have enough time to go outside. Now it's in the bathroom stall and vape away.

I think this is going to grow and then get eaten up by big tobacco or corporate America though, and prices will rise. That is another reason the DIY route seems logical.

Damij

Jul 22, 2013
Madisonville, KY
My transition went pretty easily.

I was at Walgreens and saw the BLU disposable and thought I would give it a shot. I vaped that whole thing in like two hours and bought the BLU cig kit the next day.

After a couple of weeks one of the batteries died. Instead of giving up I got an ego battery and upgraded to clearomizers.

A month after that I got a vamo so I could have variable voltage/wattage and got some Vision Vivi Novas, Vapeonly BCC's and a Kanger Protank.

I never even really think about cigarettes unless I run into someone that just smoked one. Now instead of thinking, "My my, what is that engaging aroma?" I think, "Holy crap! I used to smell like that?"

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Everybody is in a different place when they give Vaping a chance. I was desperate for a way out. Made it easier for me than I thought but totally get why it's trickier for many.

I made a vow that this was my last escape from the intense grip of cigs. No more tobacco smoke ever...and I found a half pack of cigs buried in the console of my truck a month into it....the grip came back quick but I mashed the pack in my hands with a grin. That was the defining moment. It's over.

There can be a hollow feeling at times if you want vaping to be "exactly" like smoking. It will never live up to that expectation. But it's as close as it gets compared to all other nrt's combined. The easiest way to fill the gap is to buy lots and lots of juice and gear. Seems to work for me and my closest 10k ecig forum friends.

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
About a year and a half ago I bought an NV cig-a-like set up from the drugstore. I'm in Canada so the pre-filled cartos didn't contain nicotine. Even then, I had no intention to quit smoking, just cut back a bit. Well, they didn't really do anything for me. They were ok in a pinch - intermission at a show where smoking was not allowed.

A month and a half ago i found out that you could get nic juice in Canada and that there was a B&M store right across the street from where I worked (we're so discrete in Canada - lol). Bought an ego C upgrade starter kit and within three days was vaping exclusively. I had smoked for 40 years and was up to almost 2 PAD. Still, no intention to quit - it just happened. I'm still agog at how easy it was - just like changing brands of analogs! At the one month mark I bought my first VW mod and I couldn't be happier.

I think one of the secrets to success is the support we get on ECF. This is one heck of a great community!

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Easier than I thought it would be............once I put the cigs down.

I did that thing where I still smoked a little.....and I wasn't really enjoying vaping 100%.

Then, I decided not to buy any cigs anymore, and within the day, I started to love vaping. Everything tasted great and I really started having fun with it.

I have no idea why having a cig interferred with my vaping pleasure, but it JUST DID.

I also think you just feel better once you're "all in". The other way you feel like you are between 2 different worlds, and there is that struggle going on........just get on the boat with both feet I say.

daisaw1219

Mar 11, 2009
I originally started vaping with a dse901 around 08-09, It was pretty nice for the time, and I was smoking analogs for about a week before i stopped and used the dse901 exclusively. I was off analogs for about 6 months, and one day the dse901 stopped working, I was working on a car with my buddies and just decided to smoke an analog and was back on until last week when i purchased a vamo. The world of ecigg is very different from when i started and I look forward to exploring all of the new advances.

Vapo Marx

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
New York
I received an NJoy King disposable in early May from a dear person who knew I was entertaining the thought of quitting cigs after 32 years. It tasted nasty but "felt" enough like smoking to convince me to investigate further. After very brief stints with Blu disposables and a Greensmoke kit, I got my Halo G6 and that's what I'm using now.

I smoked my last cigarette on June 28th. Prior to that, I had been tapering down - way down - over the previous couple of weeks, phasing in the e-cig and phasing out the tobacco. The transition really hasn't been hard at all. There was a brief period of adjustment but I find vaping quite satisfying.

As an aside, NJoy should really work on their flavors because their King has got the cigarette look/feel pretty much nailed. If they used better juice and maybe a slightly higher-capacity battery, they could convert a lot of smokers to vaping.

Bmwmom2002

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2013
North Carolina
So very easy for me. I got sick at the end of June, and didn't smoke for 2 days. Started looking online when the cravings came back, and ran to the store for a Blu. Totally loved it and bought the starter kit the next day. Did more research, and ordered an Ego Twist set. Used the Blu until that came. Haven't even wanted an Analog since June 30.

mare ze dotes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
WI/Boston
Painless!!

Effortless!!

Well, all but. I needed to quit for health problems and I could not even IMAGINE my life with out cigarettes. I would have no idea how to even behave? I would of just stood in the middle of the room and cried. Then I got my first kit, took me a bit to figure it out. The next day I was down to 5 cig, then 3, then one, then none.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread