What will be on your Thanksgiving table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittypie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
Charlotte NC
A friend of mine on Facebook had posted a photo of an entire turkey wrapped in bacon ... so I thought, this must be DONE!!! I, of course did this on a smaller level because it's just me and the hubby this year, so I bacon wrapped a turkey breast and threw it on the smoker this morning after letting it soak in a brine all night ............ I mean everything is better with bacon, right?!?!?! LOL

View attachment 153258

Along with it we'll have stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, broasted potatoes, and rolls. Got a cherry and pumpkin pie for desert. Yuppers, after today I will not have to cook again for another 3 to 4 days. WOOHOO!!! LOL

WHOA. I hope you will report your "findings"! Lots of people on facebook seem to be doing it this way and I would love to know how it turns out. YUM!

LouP

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I witnessed that very scene one summer at my grampa's, Lou! It was my step-gramma that did the deed...boy was that ever weird! But the end result was delicious!

I still have a kind of cartoony picture in my head of this....I think I'll reserve any other thoughts in honour of your dinners.:)

I have to say though, you all are making me drool...:drool:

NetteG

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
NE
WHOA. I hope you will report your "findings"! Lots of people on facebook seem to be doing it this way and I would love to know how it turns out. YUM!

I just couldn't resist ... there are also a couple pieces of bacon under the bacon between the skin and the actual meat. I figure if you're gonna bring it, don't bring it weak. LMAO! I will take another photo when it is done before going NOM NOM NOM all over it. LOL

I was gonna do the bacon over the thighs thing.. hubby ate the bacon

HA! That's why I bought 4 packs at the store ... I like to have that "just in case" factor covered. :lol:

NetteG

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
NE
Just letting it rest for a bit before digging in ... Thanksgiving NOM NOM NOM in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...... LOL

bacon-wrapped-turkey-done.jpg

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com
I have fourteen laying hens and two goats, one of which I milk twice a day. :)

I love that, RedHen! I love animals of all kinds (well, except spiders!) and I'd love to have goats and chickens some day. Animals are such good company and they so often make me laugh! Have you ever tried making fresh goat cheese? I did that once and it was amazing!

RedHen

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Minnesota
I love that, RedHen! I love animals of all kinds (well, except spiders!) and I'd love to have goats and chickens some day. Animals are such good company and they so often make me laugh! Have you ever tried making fresh goat cheese? I did that once and it was amazing!

My goat is a miniature (pygmy) so she doesn't really give enough for cheese. :( I did make cottage cheese once, which was amazing. I'd like to get a proper dairy goat some day... this one was my "trial" goat. ;)

I love my goats & my hens. I can be having the worst day in the world and I'm immediately cheered up if I go hang out with my animals.

TamJeff

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2012
United States
Of five kids in my family, one of which is a girl, I was the only one to pay attention to my mom. The apple 'almost' got burnt for me nodding off during! I grow sweet potatoes here at my home sometimes so it was only fitting to use them in a pie which is how it got started. Also make real whipped cream to go on top. Pie crust is something you get the hang of rather quickly if you understand it 'scientifically'. lol

The trick to SP pie is that it doesn't end up too thin, use scalded milk and real Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans like any good custard based dessert. Then force all that through a strainer to get the coarse pulp out of it.

All the foodie stuff you read, you will find that most of it is over-thought, and mom and grandma really did know their stuff!

I recall growing up, that I could make a sandwich standing right next to my grandmother, using the exact same things and hers always tasted better. Turns out I was just trying too hard. I raised two boys solo for the better part of 15 years and added a nephew for the last 3. I/we were determined we were going to eat well and on a sensible budget. Both my sons (and nephew now too) are pretty darn good in the kitchen. They rarely ever buy prepared snacks or food.

Last, but not least. . . that old, red/white checkered Better Homes and Gardens cookbook I got from my mom, just about everything in it is foolproof. That's essentially where the pie dough recipe stems from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread