• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What Zombie books have you read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Yes a few years back he started writing "The Final Chronicals of Thomas Covenant". It was supposed to be a final trilogy but for some reason it's turned into a quad. I guess he felt a little envious and wanted his own 10 book saga. I can't really recommend it unless you're one of those people (like me) that just can't put a series down until it is 100% done. That being said, I CAN recommend "And another thing..." by Eoin Colfer that picks up after Douglas Adams thought he'd wrapped up The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's 5 book trilogy. It's now a 6 book trilogy :D He did a pretty good job of keeping the same feel to his contribution to the series though and I had to remind myself that it was not in fact written by Adams.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I think I've read all 9 of the Covenant books (was a little disappointed with the 3rd trilogy) and some of Donaldson's other books - so yeah, i have to read the 10th. I didn't know there was a 6th hitchhiker book- but Neil Gaiman wrote an interesting biography about Douglas Adams (i'd had no idea that Adams wrote a couple of episodes of the original Dr. who- or any of the history of the hitchhiker's guide).

the last zombie story i read was one of those weird re-writing of a classic to include zombies- in this case it was Tom Sawyer. don't bother....

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
You should be able to pick up "and another thing" for pretty cheap on Amazon. Despite being a good book, it didn't sell well. I picked mine up for under $5 in B&N's bargain bin.

So you've read "Against all things Ending" already? I'm a little depressed that I have to wait until 2013 for the final book. I'm a give it to me NOW kind of guy. I have a general distrust of starting a series if an author doesn't have most of the series done. It's hard for me to keep all the different story lines complete and separate from the other series I'm reading :p I also get a little upset with installments that I waited forever for that don't further the storyline... That's the main reason I stopped reading the Wheel of Time series, it was overlapping the Sword of Truth in too many areas plus the story seemed to be going backwards instead of progressing towards a conclusion. I was so upset with Robert Jordan that I actually whooped and danced a little jig, looked down at the ground and said "Rot in Hell you money grubbing ....***!!!" when I heard he died. I know that was far from a sympathetic thing to do when hearing of someone's demise, but like I said, I was upset with the man for drawing out a series needlessly. Anne McAffrey cranked out dozens of spin-off series from the Pern series and the dragon riders wasn't even the first one.

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
Last book I read that had explicit zombies in it was "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies." Campy, funny, but also includes ninjas and kung fu, which I think it could have done without.

I am currently (and have been for the last several years) awaiting the next volume of George R.R. Martin's Fire and Ice saga. It has zombie-like creatures -- undead who hate the living and try to kill at every given opportunity -- that they call "Others." It is an awesome series, and Martin seriously needs to get back to work on it.

Oh, and whynot, I agree 100% with what you said about Wheel of Time. Jordan was milking that cash cow for all it was worth. I think I gave up about book 8 or 10, when he basically spent the whole damn novel describing Perrin's camp. I could actually feel phantom sensations, like rhythmic squeezing, in udders I don't have, when I realized how I could have better spent those six or eight dollars that I blew on the paperback.

Last edited:

Wilvin

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
.... Rapids,Mn
I mostly read Sci-Fi from alternate history, hard sci-fi, Sci-fantasy, and end of the world Sci-fi. The series that I am really into right now is the emberverse series by S. M. Stirling. The whole series is one that gets better with each new book. Also been reading a lot of Jack McDevitt's books mostly the Alex Benedict novels. I like a good Sci-fi/mystery novel. I have thought about picking up "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies." but I had enough trouble getting through the british classic in high school so telling it with Zombies has me feeling so so about it. The only Classic novel I really loved Was Les Miserable but zombies would not fit with that maybe vampires. But Dang that would be one long book about an angst ridden vampire on the run, hummm sounds like a french version of Twilight!!! LOL

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
I was wondering what happened to the Fire and Ice series... Even if I didn't like the circumstances of the first novels ending I have to admit that I really did like the characters.

I was really enjoying the S. M. Stirling books until it started taking on a divine intervention turn. I like my fiction to have religion as either a back drop or an abstraction that affects characters actions, not effect character actions. The storyline had a lot of promise though. Did the latest one continue the divine interference trend?

Wilvin

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
.... Rapids,Mn
I have not read the newest one yet, I can wait until it goes to paperback. The last one I read did to a point but not too much. I am not a fan of religion in books but it does not really bother me in this series. I guess because it important to the story but not the you have to believe this or your going to hell.The main character believes in his gods but does not make everyone he meets believe in them also. Plus it is upfront, I hate books that religion is the whole point of the book but it is either hidden or masked by other things in the story. Their are several writers that do this, some I have stopped reading their books because of it.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Ok, so I've read most of the Covenant Series- it's been long enough since the last one that I've lost track. I've also lost track of how far i got in the Robert Jordan books- but i guess that doesn't matter much anymore. I like Jack McDevitt. in the SF/fantasy/trilogy vein i just finished "the last stormlord" by Glenda Clark. It borrows a little from Dune in the theme of water restriction coping with desert conditions- but comes from it in a completely different direction.

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Well I wouldn't say they were 'up front' with the religion thing. Aside from one main group of 'good guys' being Wiccan, there wasn't much discussion about the subject except that they didn't make anyone convert, they just let them experience the feeling of not belonging for a change and most converted. I liked that part since it felt in line with my own personal beliefs that most religions are there just to provide a sense of belonging somewhere. I didn't feel the 'Uh-ohhhh...' until the ending of the original trilogy when the Wiccan leader proclaimed a prophecy at their child's birth. I felt the stirrings of a good s-f novel flipping over to a fantasy series. The reason that upsets me is that they went to such great pains to test the conditions to which they were now forced to live in a scientific and methodical way. That was half the fun of them, trying to figure out exactly what could cause basic laws of physics to be altered and could it ever happen? Was it localized or to what extent had the change occurred? Is it possible that it happened before?

Given that any technology sufficiently advanced from the viewers point of view can be seen as 'magic', I would have been more comfortable with aliens vs dieties manipulating the planet. Aliens would have an agenda where dieties seem to more like kids with a magnifying glass looking for ant hills...

As far as the Robert Jordan books go, I made it up to the one dedicated to finding a magic punch bowl... Really? The whole world is about to be destroyed, their only chance to prevent is has gone insane and all of a sudden they're worried about global warming enough to warrant an entire book :p That combined with undoing the progress of the first few books with a couple paragraphs... Pretty much told me that he had NO idea how to end the series and was waiting to see how Terry Goodkind managed it. Not that the Sword of Truth series didn't have a couple stalled books in it, he just wasn't as blatant.

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
I don't know if "the Passage" by Justin Cronin counts. Not really zombies...but there is a virus, and walking dead in a vampiric sort of way...and of course, my favorite theme...the apocalypse! Best book I've read in a LONG time in the sci-fi genre.
The same friend who recommended it, also told me to get the Strain & WWZ, which are now in my Kindle waiting for time to read! And now of course, you all have mentioned books I need to go find on Amazon to see if they're kindle-able...

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
A possibly cheaper alternative (and it counts as recycling) is to purchase used from Amazon. I've bought many a book that I otherwise wouldn't have paid retail for that way. Plus you can always check out Half Price Books. There are multiple locations in the Seattle area and it's always fun to paw through the clearance racks for stuff you normally wouldn't read. Most of them are $1 or .50 so it's not really a big risk. For example, I bought a first edition hardback copy of Quicksilver for a buck. It's taking me forever to get through it (I've stopped and read 3 other books while trying to get through it) but it's perfect for the bedside when I just can't fall asleep. By the same token, I've picked up dozens of books I like for loaning out without endangering my personal collection. They have stores in 16 states in case someone else wants to check on one local to them.
Half Price Books - Retail Store Directory
They also buy books and do carry some rare books (at a higher price than half spine price) at each store in case you're a collector as well.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
The Passage ROCKED!!!! Maybe not techno Zombies...but well worth reading!

SO I finally caved in and started reading the real thing....just finished Rise Again by Ben Tripp......eh.....it was okay. A nice politically correct cast of characters.....but just not real believable......ok....the "sheriff" is a badass female wounded war veteran.....we certainly have those these days......but chewed her own fingers off......not buyin it.....I guess if I had ever been trapped in a burning troop carrier surrounded by Zombies it might be more beleivable.....starting on World War Z tonight......

Does the bible count?

well....yea....I would think so! The original Zombie chronical isnt it?

Last edited:

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
okay....book review update....well for starters...I'm hooked. As most of you know I do not have a TV......so books it is. World War Z.....a no brainer...ah....no pun intended! A definite foundation for any collection...great read. Devoured....again no pun intended......Day by Day Armegeddon and Day by Day Armageddon,Beyond Exile.......whynot....if you havnt read these you MUST!!! JL Bourne is a commission Naval Officer and he has his military factoids and details down......not to mention all the survival details that make the story really flow.....he is clearly on a roll because he makes no secret about the fact that there will be more sequals.....highly recommend these. Starting on a book called Tooth and Nail next................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread