Status
Not open for further replies.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Talk about your trickle down effect. You also need to realize this effect can also have an influence on other aspects of vaping not just flavoring. What about Nicotine? If it is regulated not only will it make it expensive to get it in small quantities but what if the demand is now so low that the manufactures require you to buy that in larger quantities.
jup! This is why I've been asking legislators, not to JUST support Cole Bishop but also to create a statute that either requires the FDA to put vaping under a regulatory framework other than tobacco, or.....simply move it to another dept's jurisdiction. The only one I've suggested as a possible is Consumer Safety. Hope more will do the same.

Reactions: mattiem

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I've been a strong supporter of proposal 2058.
yeah I have too and that's great, but was recently watching PB and Dimitri, and according to them, even Rep. Cole who sponsored the bill has said that 2058 is essentially dead. There's been no movement at all on it, and it's much better to advocate for the Cole Bishop Amendment and even better to ask that it be removed from the FDA, or force the FDA to not regulate it under tobacco. Dr Michael Siegel who did a vid really breaking down the deeming, also says we need to urge em to move it, or force FDA to do it differently, that we could be shooting ourselves in the foot so to speak if all we do is ask them to support a bill or amendment. Some folks do a ton of advocacy, but many will say, Ok, I wrote an email (which will get ignored) asking them to support x,y,z. and think they've done all they can do. That's why I add the rest of it when I call my Congressmen.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
New marketing procedure will likely provide workaround solutions for most flavorings but tobacco flavorings may be harder to work around as they will be assumed targeted towards the vaping community. You are correct about Nicotine I don't think there will be a simple work around solution for that and what ever is available will sky rocket in price. Also a big issue is going to be vaping hardware. With the tight and expensive FDA requirements imposed on those devices most will be gone from the market and what do remain on the market will be prohibitively expensive to the average vaper.

It is also very unclear how importing non sanctioned FDA products such as flavoring, Nicotine or hardware will be handled by the US.

Are they going to require FDA approval on Items intended for resale?
Are they going to ban delivery to non resale private households?
To me there are a lot of "Ifs, Ands or Buts" Myself I am going to try to have my hardware backed up well enough to last at least 5 years or more. Might have to change my vaping style at some point because I only use TC at present and that relies on a board that could give out. I have mostly YiHi but my backups are mostly Joyetech but I have 2 brand new SX'x also. My others are between 1 year and 8 months and have never had a problem with them. I really think or hope that there are so many people vaping in this country that have quit smoking using it plus it seems like a lot of studies that show it is 95% less harmful then smoking they might see the error in their ways. I would like to see the answers they give to the questions that were asked by the Homeland Security dept which they have till the end of May to answer. Why don't they ban cigarettes till BT can prove that they are not harmful?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Deja vu Danny? ~> Let’s discuss freezing or refrigerating flavor concentrates

I'm still concerned about the crystallization matter having potential to do more harm than good.

I don't imagine anything harmful from crystallization. It is just some compound that is not as soluble at lower temps. But this is another reason to bring to room temperature before using, to allow it to go back into solution. Menthol is an example of this, and so is ethyl maltol. If the compound is not harmful in solution, its not likely to be harmful as a crystal, as far as I know. Simply shaking it up after warming to room temp should be fine to get it back to original state if there is any separation.

That all said, I don't cool flavors myself, I just keep them well sealed in glass. Loss of volatile compounds is the main issue here over a very long time.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
yeah I have too and that's great, but was recently watching PB and Dimitri, and according to them, even Rep. Cole who sponsored the bill has said that 2058 is essentially dead. There's been no movement at all on it, and it's much better to advocate for the Cole Bishop Amendment and even better to ask that it be removed from the FDA, or force the FDA to not regulate it under tobacco. Dr Michael Siegel who did a vid really breaking down the deeming, also says we need to urge em to move it, or force FDA to do it differently, that we could be shooting ourselves in the foot so to speak if all we do is ask them to support a bill or amendment. Some folks do a ton of advocacy, but many will say, Ok, I wrote an email (which will get ignored) asking them to support x,y,z. and think they've done all they can do. That's why I add the rest of it when I call my Congressmen.

Hey Debs. Here's a bit more info for you to consider as you continue to process the deluge of opinions we're all being overloaded with.

Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Since that posting, another co-sponsor has been added, and the issues surrounding the complex politics related to appropriations bills have grown even more troublesome.

Vote wisely.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Hey Debs. Here's a bit more info for you to consider as you continue to process the deluge of opinions we're all being overloaded with.

Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Since that posting, another co-sponsor has been added, and the issues surrounding the complex politics related to appropriations bills have grown even more troublesome.

Vote wisely.
thanks hun.......but also (if you haven't already) take a look at the actions tab here.
Actions - H.R.2058 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015

It was introduced 4/28/2015 and 3 days later it was referred to the committee on health, so next week will be 13 months since anything has happened with it. 4 Texas representatives (only 1 of which I've ever heard of) are co-sponsors. Unless the house does something with it, I can't ask the Congressmen I call to support it. I can see why the author is saying it's dead in the water.

Also......I do speak fluent gibberish, but don't understand a word politicanese but it seems to be saying that they're supporting moving the predicate date to early 2011 (if I read it right, which is highly unlikely) lol That's better than 2007, but not as good as 2015. I'm getting early 2011 since it says 21 months after the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act and that was enacted May 2009 (jup had to look that up) lol

It's great that folks are co-sponsoring it.....but that just seems to be so they could say they did........they sure aren't making any move to push it along or do anything with it. Maybe it has to go through a ton of committees or something before they can vote on it, I dunno. Maybe I need to go back and re-watch school house rock's "I'm just a Bill" :) I do have the complete dvd set hehehe Got em a long time ago for any future grandkids I might have. Is there something I'm just not seeing about this one?

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
LoveVanilla said:
LoveVanilla said:
No guarantees but I have stored flavors for 2 1/2 - 3 years without issue. I keep a variety of what I vaped mixed on the desktop and then usually mix en mass every three to four months with 2-4 favorites occasionally mixed more often. Then keep ~10ml of each concentrate in the frig and larger balances in the freezer. I use locked ammo cases (with o-rings) for both nic and flavors. In the freezer I have 50ml, 100ml bottles, and ziplocks with multiple 10ml bottles. Flavors are from Hangsen, FA, TFA with a few miscellaneous.

The only degradation I have noted has been on 1 1/2+ year old mixed juice left on the desktop (i.e. largely ignored). Bottom line: I am seeing little to no issue storing flavors in the refrigerator or freezer. Enjoy!

After posting realized "2 1/2 - 3 years" was a stretch; 2 - 2 1/2 years would be more accurate. Enjoy!

Finished an inventory and here's what's currently in the freezer:

Flavor Inventory:

Brand Flavor Size (ml) Qty
Hangsen Indian 10 3
Hangsen Indian 30 2
Hangsen USA Mix 50 1
Hangsen No. 5 50 1
Hangsen Tab Blend 50 1
Hangsen Gold&Silver 50 1
Hangsen British 120 1
Hangsen Arabic 50 1
Hangsen Desert Ship 80 1
Hangsen Magic Mix 10 2
Hangsen Canadian 10 5
Hangsen Delux 10 8
Hangsen Palm 10 3
Hangsen DE Tob 10 8
Hangsen Churchill 10 4
Hangsen Flue Cured 30 1

Flavor Art Soho 30 3
Flavor Art Glory 30 1
Flavor Art Burly 30 1
Flavor Art Fresh Cream 30 1
Flavor Art Vienna Cream 30 1
Flavor Art Cookie 30 1
Flavor Art Shade 30 1
Flavor Art Almond 120 1
Flavor Art Cookie 120 1
Flavor Art Nonna's Cake 120 1

IN Gold Ducat 10 5
IN S'Camel 10 4

Most are in mfgr's containers with a few exception where either I or rebottler packaged to glass. No visible evidence any have frozen (not enough water?) or crystalized. No degradation evident; they continue to taste and vape just fine. YMMV.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
thanks hun.......but also (if you haven't already) take a look at the actions tab here.
Actions - H.R.2058 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015

It was introduced 4/28/2015 and 3 days later it was referred to the committee on health, so next week will be 13 months since anything has happened with it. 4 Texas representatives (only 1 of which I've ever heard of) are co-sponsors. Unless the house does something with it, I can't ask the Congressmen I call to support it. I can see why the author is saying it's dead in the water.

Also......I do speak fluent gibberish, but don't understand a word politicanese but it seems to be saying that they're supporting moving the predicate date to early 2011 (if I read it right, which is highly unlikely) lol That's better than 2007, but not as good as 2015. I'm getting early 2011 since it says 21 months after the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act and that was enacted May 2009 (jup had to look that up) lol

It's great that folks are co-sponsoring it.....but that just seems to be so they could say they did........they sure aren't making any move to push it along or do anything with it. Maybe it has to go through a ton of committees or something before they can vote on it, I dunno. Maybe I need to go back and re-watch school house rock's "I'm just a Bill" :) I do have the complete dvd set hehehe Got em a long time ago for any future grandkids I might have. Is there something I'm just not seeing about this one?

Actually, just a few months ago there were only 30 some-odd co-sponsors. I'm asking my reps to support both efforts, as they are not mutually exclusive. I am a big supporter of standalone bills, for many reasons, and not a big fan of tying things to appropriations bills, also for many reasons (one of which can be found in the link below).

Fiscal Year 2017 Appropriations: Poor Track Record, Poor Outlook | Citizens Against Government Waste

Support both. And be wary of battle-mixed Kool-Aid. ;)

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Is there something I'm just not seeing about this one?

Check out the circus that transpired yesterday, during a 213-212 vote-down of one (unrelated) appropriations bills. I'm not posting it here, so as not to begin a whole OTHER "conversation", but it was all over the news.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I'm asking my reps to support both efforts, as they are not mutually exclusive. I am a big supporter of standalone bills,
yeah I like stand alones too, and I'm not against 2058, but I'm just not calling 36 reps I know nothing about. Well, 32 I reckin, since 4 have come on as co sponsors. Might call those 4 and tell them to light a fire under the other 32 lol I'll google that other thing later. Haven't slept in a couple days, so not firing on all thrusters right now. But I do need to find out when 2058 would actually bring the predicate date up to.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
yeah I like stand alones too, and I'm not against 2058, but I'm just not calling 36 reps I know nothing about. Well, 32 I reckin, since 4 have come on as co sponsors. Might call those 4 and tell them to light a fire under the other 32 lol I'll google that other thing later. Haven't slept in a couple days, so not firing on all thrusters right now. But I do need to find out when 2058 would actually bring the predicate date up to.

Get some sleep, Deb.

I believe it moves it April 2011, but also grants no further powers to the FDA (another of my concerns). And that date would still keep the industry alive.

58th co-sponsor signed on this morning, indicating that our overall cause is continuing to get both traction and attention/ That is a good thing from pretty much any perspective.

Ultimately, we all want to keep the $3.5B economy humming, and our availability to viable products alive. HOWEVER that happens would be fine with me, which has been my main point all along. I'm for both, and I'm against anyone trying to invalidate one or the other.

As Mr. The Cable Guy might say, "GIT 'R DONE!"

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I believe it moves it April 2011
oh kewl, I got one right! lol Just to make sure ya know. I'm not knocking 2058. Was just tossing it out about what the author has (supposedly) said about it. I do think it's essential though that we ask/demand far more than this though. The FDA has to be made to get rid of so much that is in the deeming. I'm sure we all feel the same. And so much progress has been made between 2011 and 2015 in mods and toppers. Appreciate your time hun to talk about this. :wub:

As to sleep, yeah, been tryin.......you know this just happens sometimes. Thanks

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
oh kewl, I got one right! lol Just to make sure ya know. I'm not knocking 2058. Was just tossing it out about what the author has (supposedly) said about it. I do think it's essential though that we ask/demand far more than this though. The FDA has to be made to get rid of so much that is in the deeming. I'm sure we all feel the same. And so much progress has been made between 2011 and 2015 in mods and toppers. Appreciate your time hun to talk about this. :wub:

As to sleep, yeah, been tryin.......you know this just happens sometimes. Thanks

Anytime, Deb. And if they hadn't opted to piggyback onto an ever-dicey appropriations bill, I'd probably be a lot less "split". But those things are historically used to make political statements, sometimes with full knowledge that measures will be struck.

THAT's my concern, so I'm staying firmly (50/50) in both camps. I'll take either, and both come with concessions, in some way, shape or form.

Orange jumpsuits...(vote wisely).

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Oh wow guys, I said it was OK to talk about the FDA, Not take over the thread about it. Lets try to stay somewhat on topic. There's another thread dedicated to the topic right here.

New FDA regulations and effect on DIY?

I assumed when I said it's OK to talk about FDA it would be along the lines of stocking up and ways to get around it's effects when it is fully implemented and not just how to fight legislation. I know fighting it is important but that should be done in the proper place. If you want to talk about fighting legislation use the for mentioned thread.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
We were mostly talking about flavorings but you bring up a very good topic if I'm understanding it right. You are talking about freezing your already mixed juices. If that's the case we have not talked about that yet.

Have you noticed any taste differences when thawing after a period of time as compared to freshly made juice?

I wonder if it continues to steep when frozen? My guess is yes but at a much slower rate.

Is it best to steep first then freeze? My guess would be yes.

Any color or consistency changes after a certain period of time has passed?

All very good questions to ponder and discuss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread