Not open for further replies.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
We were mostly talking about flavorings but you bring up a very good topic if I'm understanding it right. You are talking about freezing your already mixed juices. If that's the case we have not talked about that yet.

Have you noticed any taste differences when thawing after a period of time as compared to freshly made juice?

I wonder if it continues to steep when frozen?

Is it best to steep first then freeze?

Any color or consistency changes after a certain period of time has passed?

All very good questions to ponder and discuss.

Yeah, it would help if I actually took the time to read back, huh? Again, apologies for the obnoxious intrusion. :blush:

The juices I buy are pre-steeped, so I'm not qualified to speak to the issue.

All of my nic is frozen too, and I've seen no ill effect when I break it out. I vape some of it straight, and also use it to change strengths when necessary.

For whatever any of that was worth, I hope it made up a small portion for the bust-in. Have a wonderful holiday weekend, all.

Debs - we can go private or sumpin, if you wish. I believe you know where to find me. ;)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
No guarantees but I have stored flavors for 2 1/2 - 3 years without issue. I keep a variety of what I vaped mixed on the desktop and then usually mix en mass every three to four months with 2-4 favorites occasionally mixed more often. Then keep ~10ml of each concentrate in the frig and larger balances in the freezer. I use locked ammo cases (with o-rings) for both nic and flavors. In the freezer I have 50ml, 100ml bottles, and ziplocks with multiple 10ml bottles. Flavors are from Hangsen, FA, TFA with a few miscellaneous.

The only degradation I have noted has been on 1 1/2+ year old mixed juice left on the desktop (i.e. largely ignored). Bottom line: I am seeing little to no issue storing flavors in the refrigerator or freezer. Enjoy!

After posting realized "2 1/2 - 3 years" was a stretch; 2 - 2 1/2 years would be more accurate. Enjoy!
Finished an inventory and here's what's currently in the freezer:

Flavor Inventory:

Brand Flavor Size (ml) Qty
Hangsen Indian 10 3
Hangsen Indian 30 2
Hangsen USA Mix 50 1
Hangsen No. 5 50 1
Hangsen Tab Blend 50 1
Hangsen Gold&Silver 50 1
Hangsen British 120 1
Hangsen Arabic 50 1
Hangsen Desert Ship 80 1
Hangsen Magic Mix 10 2
Hangsen Canadian 10 5
Hangsen Delux 10 8
Hangsen Palm 10 3
Hangsen DE Tob 10 8
Hangsen Churchill 10 4
Hangsen Flue Cured 30 1

Flavor Art Soho 30 3
Flavor Art Glory 30 1
Flavor Art Burly 30 1
Flavor Art Fresh Cream 30 1
Flavor Art Vienna Cream 30 1
Flavor Art Cookie 30 1
Flavor Art Shade 30 1
Flavor Art Almond 120 1
Flavor Art Cookie 120 1
Flavor Art Nonna's Cake 120 1

IN Gold Ducat 10 5
IN S'Camel 10 4

Most are in mfgr's containers with a few exception where either I or rebottler packaged to glass. No visible evidence any have frozen (not enough water?) or crystalized. No degradation evident; they continue to taste and vape just fine. YMMV.

Thank you so much for your input LoveVanilla

This is really some very good useful information from a person that has been freezing flavoring for some time. Many here including myself will find this info very useful.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
My apologies as well Danny.

I've only been DIY'ing for maybe 15 months. Have typically mixed up about 6 months of juice at a time. (Don't DIY when you're hungry) lol

Nic is stored in freezer, flavors in zip lock bags, then in a box or canvas tote and usually in a closet. Hopefully this weekend I'll be making some juice with 15 mo old flavors, but don't expect any change. I do have a one flavor that was sent to me when I was getting ready to start DIY, so I'm sure it's much older. I'll definitely make up some of that to see how it is. It was stored for nearly a year in a house that was very warm in the summer and very cold in the winter. Jup it does get cold in Texas! lol And we had only a few space heaters for heat.

Reactions: DPLongo22

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
@Debadoo (and anyone else interested).

Just closing an open loop, and letting it be done. We have consulted with CASAA, after trying to track all the linked & related provisions in HR2058 (good luck with that!). They have assured us that all the gibberish comes back to one final point:

HR2058 would, in fact, change the predicate date to 8-Aug-2016. I trust what they're saying is true, since they have the legal understandings that I clearly do not.

Going to unpack some nic from my freezer now. :cool:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
We were mostly talking about flavorings but you bring up a very good topic if I'm understanding it right. You are talking about freezing your already mixed juices. If that's the case we have not talked about that yet.

Have you noticed any taste differences when thawing after a period of time as compared to freshly made juice?

I wonder if it continues to steep when frozen? My guess is yes but at a much slower rate.

Is it best to steep first then freeze? My guess would be yes.

Any color or consistency changes after a certain period of time has passed?

All very good questions to ponder and discuss.

danny, in case this might be valuable to anyone here, I have always stored my pre-made liquids in the freezer, with ZERO problem, change in appearance, taste, etc. I believe that the steeping process is inhibited by the ultra cold temp. (One popular steeping method is a warm/hot water bath.)

I would guess yes, steep first, then freeze.

And lastly, I was taught the best method of freezing liquids (and nic) is to have very little air space in the bottle. One I take a bottle out of the freezer for use, I don't restore it (partially full).

Hope that helps!

I can't recall if I too, intruded some comments about legislation here, so if I did...... I'm sorry too! :)

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
@dannyv45, great idea for a thread. I've been pondering long term storage of some of my flavorings, as I am a predominantly tobacco juice vaper. I have shopped specials and close outs and bought a bunch of 10ml bottles of flavors that I have found to be pleasing to me. I guess from all of the input I've read, I'm going to crack them seals and re-bottle in glass at the least. Perhaps some of my flavors will wind up in the deep freeze. I'm leaning towards the gamble that whatever degradation may occur from time will be slowed at lower temps. I have no data to go by either way, and it will be a gamble. If all else fails, I don't mind unflavored, and I do have some tobacco absolutes on hand.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Enaud, I think most things slow and degrade at cold temps. Think about a cold-hearted woman...

Uh oh...... Danny, slap me, if need be. I sort of off-topic'd. :blush:
I was married to one of those many years ago...:lol:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
@dannyv45, great idea for a thread. I've been pondering long term storage of some of my flavorings, as I am a predominantly tobacco juice vaper. I have shopped specials and close outs and bought a bunch of 10ml bottles of flavors that I have found to be pleasing to me. I guess from all of the input I've read, I'm going to crack them seals and re-bottle in glass at the least. Perhaps some of my flavors will wind up in the deep freeze. I'm leaning towards the gamble that whatever degradation may occur from time will be slowed at lower temps. I have no data to go by either way, and it will be a gamble. If all else fails, I don't mind unflavored, and I do have some tobacco absolutes on hand.

Hey Duane - one person with experience cited the following (nicotine strength) degradation, from his personal experience/measurements.

At -20c (about your average freezer temperature), 1-2% over a six year period. In my opinion, that's basically imperceptible (if accurate). I've been buying 60mg strength for storage, and am pretty comfortable with it.

Besides the reality is that I'm not even sure I'd know if it HAD degraded. There are a lot of indications that nic in our (vapor) form is significantly less addictive that our previous leaf-burning practices, so it may even go unnoticed. Who knows?

Like you though, I've nothing relating to flavors at this point, but I expect it would take a very long time for a flavor to fully degrade.

Time, it will tell...

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
danny, in case this might be valuable to anyone here, I have always stored my pre-made liquids in the freezer, with ZERO problem, change in appearance, taste, etc. I believe that the steeping process is inhibited by the ultra cold temp. (One popular steeping method is a warm/hot water bath.)

I would guess yes, steep first, then freeze.

And lastly, I was taught the best method of freezing liquids (and nic) is to have very little air space in the bottle. One I take a bottle out of the freezer for use, I don't restore it (partially full).

Hope that helps!

I can't recall if I too, intruded some comments about legislation here, so if I did...... I'm sorry too! :)

I agree with everything you said. Also happy to see you have no issues with freezing pre mixed juice although I usually make only enough to last a few months.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Enaud, I think most things slow and degrade at cold temps. Think about a cold-hearted woman...

Uh oh...... Danny, slap me, if need be. I sort of off-topic'd. :blush:

No need I've often felt the cold chill of a woman run up my back myself:)

Reactions: Katdarling

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey

I myself already started the process of re-bottling into glass myself. Glad I have all those unused 8 and 10ml glass viles laying around but relabeling everything is a real pain.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Not sure about the other sizes,but if you get the 4 oz. bottles from Tfa or Capella,if you take it slow and easy,you can peel the label off the plastic bottle and reapply it to the 4 oz. glass bottle,then just wrap a layer of clear packing tape around it to make sure it stays on there.That's what i did with every big bottle i have,because it would of been a pita to make or write out a bunch of new labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread