What's the Bottom Line on Long-Term Exposure to Nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndigoChild

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Sacramento, California, USA
Hi all,

I've read through all the stickies here on the medical information and data relating to e-cigs, vaporizers, nicotine, and even Snus, but I'm a little confused about the bottom line concerning the prognosis or possible complications from long-term exposure to high levels of nicotine… Do we really know anything about it to begin with? It seems to me that all the data comes from studies where tobacco smoke was involved, or oral tobacco products. So if it's just nicotine by itself, what can/may happen? I was thinking about trying to find out if the companies who make the patches, gums and lozenges have any information on long-term exposure - at one point my psychiatrist told me I could wear the patch for the rest of my life if I wanted and that it wouldn't be an issue, but that making sure it wasn't stuck onto the same patch of skin over and over again was critical. Do we know if nicotine is a carcinogen? I know we know it's a pesticide, but that doesn't necessarily connote that it's a carcinogen. If anyone has any info or opinions based on articles or what they've been told from physicians, I'd be quite interested to hear about it. Thanks, fellow nicotine vapers :)

IndigoChild

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2014
Sacramento, California, USA
Also, from what I understand, we know for sure that nicotine raises blood pressure, acutely for the most part, and can cause tachycardia (increased beats per minute), but those side-effects usually subside in half an hour's time or less. So, in my opinion, I wouldn't consider that to be a major threat of any sort. But that's all that comes to mind...

silenthunder

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2011
toronto
Also, from what I understand, we know for sure that nicotine raises blood pressure, acutely for the most part, and can cause tachycardia (increased beats per minute), but those side-effects usually subside in half an hour's time or less. So, in my opinion, I wouldn't consider that to be a major threat of any sort. But that's all that comes to mind...

there is little research done on the effects of nicotine on its own. Which is a little surprising because of its widespread use as a patch.

the acute threats would be somewhat low : higher blood pressure and higher heart rate

BUT: there are reasons why high blood pressure is treated (hypertension). high blood pressure can lead to cardiovascular disease and other changes in the system.

In someone who already has signs/symptoms of cardiovascular disease there is a theory (not proven in literature yet) that using nicotine may increase incidence of ischemia.

a note about it not being proven in literature: there are few studies done - and the ones I could find didn't seem to have any real findings BUT its KNOWN that nicotine causes vasoconstriction (which leads to the high blood pressure) - so most doctors would probably be wary of there being possible effects of giving nicotine to say - someone who already has high blood pressure.

medicine is a very strange creature there are lots of things that aren't actually 'proven' but are still considered to be 'known' (such as most people saying that tobacco use 'causes' cancer - in the literature this isn't true - its simply a very strong correlation with no causation - but in reality if I brought this up in discussion most people would look at me like I was stupid)

interesting ideas you have brought up - thank you for giving my brain a 'workout' :)

Reactions: cckayne

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Very little is known about nicotine by itself. We don't even know what the lethal does is. Nor is it carcinogenic as far as we know. It does temporarily raise blood pressure but the long term effects aren't known. Most of the studies have been with tobacco use and those have shown that it is the smoke and other products of combustion that cause cancer and the other detrimental effects on health.

For instance nicotine combined with high carbon monoxide levels from smoking causes hardening of the arteries but there is no evidence that nicotine alone would do so.

Reactions: cckayne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread