What's the point of super high wattage devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I've only been vaping for a few months now and well have bought a couple different mod boxes and a handful of tanks all of varying capable(the boxes) and recommended (the tanks) wattages and I mean I just don't see why there are 150-200watt mod boxes out there. When I tried running at 80 watts the vapor turned unsatisfying hot.

Yeah I been vaping by both cloud chucking and tootle puffing and I have never needed higher wattage that about 60W Someone please explain it to me as well..... That high wattage is the reason I look the way I do :w00t:

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2014
    Maryland
    I've only been vaping for a few months now and well have bought a couple different mod boxes and a handful of tanks all of varying capable(the boxes) and recommended (the tanks) wattages and I mean I just don't see why there are 150-200watt mod boxes out there. When I tried running at 80 watts the vapor turned unsatisfying hot.
    They are for more advanced rebuildable devices, of which you are probably not into yet.

ImThatGuy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2012
    California
    Different strokes for different folks. At first, high wattage was too much for me. Now I'm consistently at around 50-80 watts. There's atomizers out there that its build requires high wattage and some that work well with low watts. It's all different. What works with one doesn't mean it works with the other. You have to find a medium for it. We have great variety in vaping. Find what suits you best and I'll find what suits me best.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    They are for more advanced rebuildable devices, of which you are probably not into yet.
    I rebuild my Evoids and T3's. Not into yet? Is there a forced progression?

I am a Classical Vapist.

I may stay that way and I may not but I yield to no pressure to conform to others styles. I follow my own nose not the crowds .....

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2014
    Maryland
    It is kind of like someone saying, "whats the point of low wattage devices? they don't even heat up my 22g dual, triple, or quad coil builds let alone make vapor." Of course these low wattage devices are available because there are many people who use much higher gauge wire and single coils. Different power levels appeal to different use types.

Marc411

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    It's all about your vaping style. I own a couple high wattage devices and rarely use the power. I bought them for the dual batteries and extended battery life. Until recently I never got over 20W but I don't like a hot vape.

Then I picked up a Velocity specifically to try and build a Clapton because everyone raves about the flavor. I run that in a dual coil setup @.41 ohms and 51W. That's a new record for me :)

It still produces the vape I like and outstanding flavor. I just kept upping the power until I found the sweet spot and was really surprised I was at 50W.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2014
    Maryland
    I rebuild my Evoids and T3's. Not into yet? Is there a forced progression?

I am a Classical Vapist.

I may stay that way and I may not but I yield to no pressure to conform to others styles. I follow my own nose not the crowds .....
    I didn't mean that anyone using a rebuildable device is going to have a build that works best with high watts. These rebuildables are the kind of devices that can easily be built to comfortably use that kind of power, though. I was simply trying to explain to the OP the answer to the question.

ETA: specifically, the power is there for people rebuilding RDAs with multiple low-gauge coils and lots of airflow.

Reactions: Cognator

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    It's all about your vaping style. I own a couple high wattage devices and rarely use the power. I bought them for the dual batteries and extended battery life. Until recently I never got over 20W but I don't like a hot vape.

Then I picked up a Velocity specifically to try and build a Clapton because everyone raves about the flavor. I run that in a dual coil setup @.41 ohms and 51W. That's a new record for me :)

It still produces the vape I like and outstanding flavor. I just kept upping the power until I found the sweet spot and was really surprised I was at 50W.

Yeah I know what you mean --- been there myself. The OP was talking about 200W mods though. I can see using big mods for dual batteries but for just the shear power of above 80 or 90 watts simply does not compute for me. I don't see how a person's lungs could handle it let alone deal with all of the heat.

Reactions: Cognator

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 13, 2014
    The Poconos
    I know it may seem contrary, but high watts does not necessarily equal high heat. The high watts are needed to kick some coils into the vapor zone without having to wait forever and a day for the coil to come up to temp. In my case (in some builds) I kick it on at between 80 and 100 watts and hit it for three seconds max and I'm off the fire button--after that three second point it will get hot...for the first three seconds however it's just chucking vapor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread