hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Maybe, maybe not. Not getting the overtime wasn't the problem. It was the speech I got afterwards. He's so concerned with the new guy starting but forgets that myself and a few others there have kept the place running for the last 15-20 years. I do repairs, keep up a 100+ rental fleet, do welding code certifications, and get stuck fixing everyone's computers when I am able. I do a lot of stuff that doesn't show up as "billable hours". I don't understand why he doesn't see that.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Some bosses have a way of only seeing the negatives and never the positives. I think that's how they end up as bosses. I've had a few of those in my career. Glad I have a decent boss now who actually appreciates the work this department does. Raises are still at a premium but he always gives the maximum that the company will allow. Might be time to seek employment elsewhere Hitt or at least take a look to see what's out there. The economy has rebounded lately and better jobs are out there.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    It's not that he's not a good guy to work for. He usually leaves me to run my department without any interference. However, he has this unrealistic expectation that I should be able to bill out 80-90% of the time that I spend at work and still take phone calls, help
    customers that walk in for advice, and keep up a 100+ unit rental fleet when the only thing that's getting billed out as labor are the actual equipment repairs that I do myself with no help. The raises used to be really good early on and I understand that at some point a person reaches their maximum pay scale but I haven't even had a cost of living increase in quite some time. Every time money is mentioned then the "billable hours" discussion comes up. I get commission on labor hours so he seems to think that it is the solution to me increasing my income. I would love to bill a bunch more hours out but am at the mercy of whatever happens to come in for repair each month. I hate to think about leaving after 18 years but I have been watching a couple different job sites just to see if something comes up that I am interested in.

Reactions: The Rebel

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    You've got a tough situation. he doesn't take into account the other jobs you do for him that he'd need to hire additional personnel for. Either that or he does understand that and just uses billable hours as his defense against putting out more money. For you to get more billable hours within a set length day, you need to off load some of that support work. Does he have anyone else that could handle some of it? Anyone else able to support the computer stuff? If you weren't doing it, he'd be charged billable hours to get it done and computer support isn't cheap.

Does he have anyone else to support the rental fleet and the walk ins? That type stuff can totally disrupt work flow. Can that support be split between various personnel? Sure it will reduce their billable hours but give you more. Plus, doesn't he make money on those welding code certifications and shouldn't that be considered for bonuses?

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    You understand things very well roth. I'm the only one working in the service department. The people out front should be able to handle most questions and stop people from just walking into the shop but don't want to do more than the absolute minimum most times. He said that once the new guy starts that it would free up one of the other guys out front to help some with rental equipment but I had that guy help me before and he doesn't pay attention to detail. The last time I let him help was a few years ago and the machines that he checked and said were ready for rent were not really ready. When the customer returned them he told me that two of the three were low on oil when he got them. Luckily I knew the customer really well and he didn't raise a stink about it. In my opinion, I don't think that any customers should be allowed in the repair shop if for no other reason than safety. I'm working with 120-480v input machines with high powered electronic components that can fail violently. Over the years I've seen a few things come apart or fail under load.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    The work week is over thankfully. My boss tried drumming up some idle chat with me yesterday before I left but I just gave him short and to the point answers. I'm not happy with him and I'm not going to put up a show. I heard yesterday from a coworker that they need a computer set up with ip and stuff for the new guy. It's going to be kind of awkward when my boss asks me to do it after complaining about billable hours. I haven't decided if I'll throw in a dig when he asks or not.

Reactions: rothenbj

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yesterday, that woman that I provide welfare for left early and I had poker. I had blocked off the BR with both Bella and Giz in so Giz wasn't running around unattended. I'm still leery of him running around with the big dog alone mainly due to the size difference. I had placed a box that holds reams of printer paper in the door as well as a round box on top of it that set the height at a couple feet. There was a small hole but too narrow to get through or so I thought. Five minutes later he was back in the living room.

I took him back to the BR and added another box so there was no whole. By the time she got home, Gizdini met her at the door. Apparently he figured that if he got on the nightstand, he could get on top of the round box and he was out and free. It's looking like a baby gate is in order.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Just ask him to have one of the other guys set it up, you're working on billable hours. ;)

I work with a bunch of computer illiterates. It's sad but no one there knows anything about computers but me. If I didn't do it then he'd have to call the computer support company we use from time to time. I saw one of the bills and it was $165 per hour.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    That was precisely my point Hitt. When I got my first programming job in '80 or '81, I was paid a salary of $210 a week to start. That gave me the privilege of working 50-60 hour weeks fixing all the problems created by a string of contract programmers that had hacked their software up so bad that the solution to some of the issues were to have the entry clerks re-enter all their work from the morning when the software blew up in the afternoon. Even back then contractors were making $40/50 an hour minimum. Now I was no genius back then, but I was smart enough to know that a bunch of employees shouldn't be re-doing their work every week or so. I did a backup before the batch update so when something failed, two things happened. A bunch of people were kept happy and I could troubleshoot what was causing the failure.

It was not a good paying job even back in those days, but it was the best possible job I could have gotten from a learning experience. My manager had no real knowledge so I had to learn everything on my own and everyone loved me. I was making close to $500 a week at the end and maybe I'd never left there if Gannet (USA Today) hadn't bought them out and wanted me to become a nomad.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Anyone ever see this stuff?

ON! Nicotine Pouches

I can't imagine how effective a 1 or 3mg pouch would be and they aren't tobacco so no MAOI effect plus $5.79 for 20 pouches.

Anyone on FB, there are some lively posts about various sunses on "SNUS NATION". Larry Waters from SnusCentral posts in there.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Steamy weekend here in the great north. Spent a lot of it inside with the air conditioning. Had some good thunder storms on Saturday but they just helped to add to the humidity. Took the opportunity to try out some loose that I got for free on an order. I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. More comfortable than the pouches and the flavor was stronger. I managed to keep the first pris in for a couple of hours before it started to mudslide a little. Took a couple water rinses to clear it out but overall I enjoyed the experience. I still like the pouches for convenience, but I'll definitely keep some loose around for home.

Rwb1500

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 16, 2014
    South Central PA
    Rwb, shouldn't you be working or something?

Roth, too cute. Our youngest used to push the cat around in a play stroller.

Well, I got my answer on the overtime and them some. First he thinks that the new guy starting the end of the month is going to solve all of our problems. Not only am I not being allowed any overtime, I also got a speech about how we should be billing more hours out and was asked if I'm being held up by other employees wanting to chat. I almost blew a gasket. I always have more work than I can finish and never complain about it to him. I was only asking for 3-5 hours a week. The conversation happened early this morning and I'm still ......!

Work? What's that?

Actually that was one of my rare days off. Usually I work five on, five off, two on two off, but recently it's been like twelve on two off. Twelve hour days too. I'm gonna keep hitting it hard until the end of July, and then I'm going to sit on the beach for two weeks straight.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Yeah Rebel, the flavor is definitely better in the Los but the mud slide requires home use only. Hitt, it's not at all like chew in that it stays baked until it doesn't and you better be ready for a thorough rinse.

That's exactly it Roth. One minute everything is going along smoothly and the next you have black front teeth. Well not that bad, but you can tell when it starting to slide and it's time to find some water. ;)

Reactions: rothenbj

Users who are viewing this thread