What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
LOL, I hear you Axl. I was wearing the same old, ripped leather jacket I've worn out for the last 14 years. I have the almost identical brown one I bought as a replacement that I only wear if it's somewhere fancy I'm going. Plus I have a black one I also never wear. This year I pretty much retired an old Woolrich lighter coat that is almost thread bare after over twenty years use. The biggest issue was the pockets were developing massive holes. Fancy is not in my vocabulary.

Mint
IW

Retriever

Moved On
Nov 2, 2011
Hey everybody! I was just browsing the forums and ran across this thread. I am so glad I did! I have been using my ecig off and on and having mixed results. I am interested in finding out more about snus, snuff, and that Ploom that was posted by TB. Is there anyone else here who tried ecigs, and then switched to snuff? I want a good nicotine hit, and I feel like I'm just not getting it from my ecig, even at 24mg. So I need some advice - should I go the snuff route or the snus route? Is snuff nasty as it builds up in your nose or is that a silly concern of mine?

Any advice appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
Hey everybody! I was just browsing the forums and ran across this thread. I am so glad I did! I have been using my ecig off and on and having mixed results. I am interested in finding out more about snus, snuff, and that Ploom that was posted by TB. Is there anyone else here who tried ecigs, and then switched to snuff? I want a good nicotine hit, and I feel like I'm just not getting it from my ecig, even at 24mg. So I need some advice - should I go the snuff route or the snus route? Is snuff nasty as it builds up in your nose or is that a silly concern of mine?

Any advice appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Welcome to the other side of the tracks Retriever. I think you'll find out that e-cigs just didn't cut it for most of us here. I turned to snus and snuff, and haven't looked back. They are both viable options, I think. Snuff is more of an immediate nic fix much like cig's were for me. Snus takes a little longer to deliver the goods, but it delivers for a longer period of time. Any concerns you have are valid concerns. With a good dark hankerchief you don't need to worry about any snuff build up. Occasional use of a neti pot also works wonders. Personally I think you'll find that deciding on a flavor will turn into you're biggest concern. LOL

You will find folks here that are more than willing to help and will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Just relaxing before bed with:

Thunder O
WoS Best SP

Retriever

Moved On
Nov 2, 2011
Welcome to the other side of the tracks Retriever. I think you'll find out that e-cigs just didn't cut it for most of us here. I turned to snus and snuff, and haven't looked back. They are both viable options, I think. Snuff is more of an immediate nic fix much like cig's were for me. Snus takes a little longer to deliver the goods, but it delivers for a longer period of time. Any concerns you have are valid concerns. With a good dark hankerchief you don't need to worry about any snuff build up. Occasional use of a neti pot also works wonders. Personally I think you'll find that deciding on a flavor will turn into you're biggest concern. LOL

You will find folks here that are more than willing to help and will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Just relaxing before bed with:

Thunder O
WoS Best SP

Thank you so very much for your reply! I really appreciate it and look forward to anyone else who would like to add to my lack of knowledge on the subject. Please feel free to PM me with your favorite snuff vendor and post your preferred brands and flavors. Thanks again-

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
It has been a long time since I have ordered any snuff, but when I did it was from https://mrsnuff.com/. He has a great selection. For a beginning snuff user I would recommend Poschl Apricot, and Gawith Raspberry. Both pleasant flavors, and both containing menthol. Both are easy to learn to use with also. For non menthol, Toque makes a good pomegranite snuff. Try to stay away from toasts and scotches to start with, but definitely try them once you have experience. They pack a wallop, and are more difficult to take without experience. The sole exception to this is Honey Bee. Get some, and try it. It is a wonderful snuff. Just be careful. LOL

If you can give us an idea where you're taste's lie we can make more suggestions based on that. Sweet? Savory? Floral? Fruity? The options are quite varied. There are folks here who will make suggestions as well based on their preferences. Take a look at Mr. Snuff's site and feel free to ask about any snuff that catches your eye. I believe he even has a wizard to help you pick some.

A final word of advice for now. Stay away from the Qsnuff. It used to be called Quit With Snuff, and there are much better options out there.

Scotches are American snuff's, smoky or sweet. And they pack a nice nicotine punch. Toast's are English toasted snuff's. Also smoky, but in a different way. They also pack a nice nicotine punch. Both are great, but IMO they are for the more experienced user. If snorted instead of sniffed properly they will give you a heck of a kick to the head.

My preferred flavors, since you asked, are Wilson's of Sharrow (WoS) Best SP, WoS Lemon Grove, WoS Irish High Toast #22, and most American Scotches. Three Thistle Strong and Three Thistle Sweet in particular. Oh, and Honey Bee. The Sweetest American scotch, and the best. I think I have enough to last a couple life times.... LOL

Wow, sorry if this is information overload. My final suggestion. Check you're local tobacconist and see what they have. Here I can get Poschl and Ozona snuffs. They are, IMO, very good beginner snuffs.

Once again welcome to the smokeless subforum. Pull up a chair and relax. We're a pretty laid back bunch here. Hope this helps.

Waiting for the rest of the gang to show up with:

Thunder O
Honey Bee
Pepsi

Retriever

Moved On
Nov 2, 2011
Wow Skrymr, a lot of great info! Thanks. I think I would like something sweet, but not overpowering sweet. About a year ago, when I first contemplating quitting, I went to a site called nicotine rush or something like that. Are they any good? If you don't order any snuff now, what do you use? Just curious. I think I will go over to mrsnuff and take a look, and thank you for your informative and kind reply! Also, who makes honeybee? :)

Last edited:

Retriever

Moved On
Nov 2, 2011
Oh well, I tried to look up nicotine rush and the site no longer exists. I saw also on the mrsnuff page that the Honeybee is out of stock, that is what caught my eye and I wanted to try it. Do you all think it would be too strong? I want a good hit as I was a 2ppd smoker. I also noticed the "bullets" that measured the amount of snuff you get. Are they any good? I know I have a lot of questions, and I appreciate your replies.

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
Hehehe... I have over two pounds of snuff tucked away safely. That is just a supplement to my snus usage though.

Honey Bee is made by Swisher, an American tobacco company that makes some very good scotch snuffs. It would be fine to start with as long as you remember that snuff goes in your nose, not your sinus'. A gentle sniff is all it takes. It is a snuff that I think every one should try. Do you like the smell of wood smoke? American scotch snuff has a nice smoky flavor to it. Sweet scotch's are just that, sweet and not so smoky. Honey Bee taste's like honey.

Toque makes some very good snuff's in a large variety of flavors. Even cheese and bacon.... My favorite toque is lime toast. I love citrus. But it is a toast and very fine and dry which makes it difficult to take. Toque pomegranate is very good IMO.

Molen's windmill snuffs are very good for beginner's also. They are made in an actual windmill. Their chocolate snuff's are very good.

I should also mention that Wilson's of Sharrow also opened up a web store for their snuff. They make very very good snuff. Try sharrowmills.com Their Best SP is a bergamont flavor that is just wonderful. And Lemon Grove is a must have for me.

If you need a good nicotine hit, you have a lot of choices. Honey Bee will deliver the goods. Toast's and Scotch's are some of the strongest out there. There are also some good Indian and German snuff's out there, but I have only tried one Indian snuff and it smelled like a barnyard... in a bad way.... Some are more moist and can clog your nose up if you aren't experienced with them.

Check out my blog entry. I just remembered it is there. I reviewed some of my snuff's there, but not all.

Heading off to bed with:

nada

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Hi Retriever, welcome to the other side of the tracks. I see you're branching out from somewhere :). I noticed your avatar in the news or media section recently, good idea to spend some time there and Here. Is TB still around or are these old posts of his that you've seen?

His posts years ago led me here 2 1/4 years ago and I never looked back. Most of us here found that regular nicquid just didn't quite take the edge off. Remember, everyone is different. For me, my first portion of snus satisfied my itch and got me totally off smokes. I like snuff once in a while but can't help with long tern effects. I do use it for a quick jolt once in a while.

You may even want to look into WTA juice. Had the whole tobacco liquid been available back then, it might have satisfied the savage beast. I just enjoy my snus too much to experiment exclusively with WTA yo find out how I'd do. I uswe 4-5 ports a day and I'm good with occasional vaping/snuff/WTA use. I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback from others here.

BTW, my Golden is the best dog I ever had. Unfortunately he's getting late in the day. Hang around. We're always looking for new friends.

Catch Euch.
Water

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Good morning. Welcome retriever. I like many of the same snuffs that skrymr does but I'm not as big of a scotch user as he is. I like the WoS snuffs pretty well. The honey bee is a must have. Some of my first snuffs were Toque and they are pretty good. I like the best sp from WoS along with the lemon grove, the toasts, and the tom buck is pretty good too. The ozona raspberry has always been a favorite of mine. I don't use much snuff any more but started to lean towards a lot of menthols when I was using regularly. I've ordered a few times from this place Snuff | Buy Snuff Tobacco | Snuff Store. The service is good but it took about six or seven days to get an order. That was fine with me since they are shipping from overseas.

thunder berry
    coffee

Skrymr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 5, 2009
    Good morning everyone.

Retriever, I use snus for maintenance. Extra sterk (strong) is my preferred strength. I used snuff when I still had a lot of cravings for cigs that snus just couldn't take care of. The instant gratification of snuff just can't be beat. Now, I still maintain with snus and use snuff just for the enjoyment of it. Not as often as I used to. The great thing about snus and snuff is that they are both very discreet. No one knows I am using them unless I want them to.

If you want to try snus out, the Swedish Match General website has a store locator that you need to register on that will show you where General snus is for sale around where you live. I would suggest calling ahead to make sure the information is accurate though.

Otherwise we can give some snus suggestions, we love to do that as well.

Getting ready for work with:

Thunder O
    coffee

The Wiz

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2009
    Whiskeyville USA
    Good morning. Welcome retriever. I like many of the same snuffs that skrymr does but I'm not as big of a scotch user as he is. I like the WoS snuffs pretty well. The honey bee is a must have. Some of my first snuffs were Toque and they are pretty good. I like the best sp from WoS along with the lemon grove, the toasts, and the tom buck is pretty good too. The ozona raspberry has always been a favorite of mine. I don't use much snuff any more but started to lean towards a lot of menthols when I was using regularly. I've ordered a few times from this place Snuff | Buy Snuff Tobacco | Snuff Store. The service is good but it took about six or seven days to get an order. That was fine with me since they are shipping from overseas.

thunder berry
    coffee
    Hitt.......Looks like you and Skrmyr covered retreivers questions well enough! Just thought I would ring in on the bullet dispensers. I have never been a fan of those. They tend to get clogged up after much use and nothing beats a finger/thumb pinch. Waste of money if you ask me.

For the inexperienced user I still think Toque is a good snuff to start with. Poschl would be a good choice also!:)

Like you said........Stay away from the Scotch for now.

Dean Swift Dr. Johnson
    PS SLM

:)Wiz!

firechick

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 24, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Hi Retriever! You got all the good advice from all the best sources! I like stronger snuff, but don't use it daily. I am very fond of flavored snuff like Christmas Pudding, too. For snus, I like the mini portions for conceal-ability, and regular portions at home. It's all a matter of personal preference. PM inbound.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I like the molens macuba. It's kind of a rough grind that smells like tobacco and cloves. To me it really packs a punch. I used to think that if it didn't make my eyes roll back in my head then I wasn't doing it right. Not the case though.

General mint
    Tonic menthol
    Coffee

firechick

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 24, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Now that I think about it, it's been a long time since I've had a brain hit. :laugh:

Starting to get back into the swing of everyday life as best I can. I sure do miss them, but life must go on.

Hope everyone here is having a good week.

Percolator Coffee - brewed extra stong
    Lab01
    Some Fubar Grunt in a few minutes (I might even go for a brain hit:ohmy:)

The Wiz

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2009
    Whiskeyville USA
    I like the molens macuba. It's kind of a rough grind that smells like tobacco and cloves. To me it really packs a punch. I used to think that if it didn't make my eyes roll back in my head then I wasn't doing it right. Not the case though.

General mint
    Tonic menthol
    Coffee
    Wow! I forgot that I still had some Macuba that OTD gave me!:) I think I will break out the Chococreme this week as well! Molens really does pack a nice nic punch!

Honey Bee
    PS SLM
    Coffee

:)Wiz!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Gosh, now everyone is talking snuff. I lost my Toque raspberry menthol when I lost my cycle jacket which served me well for weeks. The can was even getting bent up. Lately, I have been using a raspberry, I think it's Ozona but I had put it into a snus can because I was worried about the lid coming off when I carried it. Then I threw the original tin away. It's wet compared to the Toque and something you really have to be cautios with unless, like FC said, you want that brain message.

Since it's nearly 1AM, it must be

Mint
    nada at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread