What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
It was 70 degrees here before noon Saturday when hubby went back to the deer stand. He shot one at 3 and it was 38 degrees and starting to rain. I took the deer from him for field dressing and processing and sent him back to the stand since the deer were moving and there were shots going off all around us. By the time I had the deer quartered it was 32 and windy as heck.

Tonight we have over a foot of snow and still coming down. Winds have been high with gusts up to 50. Wind chill has been down to 9 degrees at times. And to top it off, the belt broke on the snow blower with no spare on hand. We finished ours and were heading next door when it snapped. We had to shovel the neighbor lady's 75 ft driveway and the bridge over the creek between us. We worry about the ambulance getting in if she needs it. She's had some serious health issues the last couple years. After the DH went to work at 7 am he called and told me there were 8 ft drifts on the other lane of the hill rd and he barely made it in the 1500 with the 4 wheel drive so I decided to log in and work from home. After that I shoveled the 20 x 40 dog yard to prevent frozen doggie tush, raked a 4 ft drift off the hunting storage shed with the Avalanch tool (GREAT tool for getting heavy snow load off a roof, roth), and went out back and removed the snow from the hunting blind and re-expanded the roof hub and tightened the roof lift rope. I put a jacket on the princess and took her out to chase snowballs in the pasture for a half hour. I also swept the floors, did the dishes and a load of laundry.

And I had major surgery at the end of September. Just went back to work at the end of October. Who is this "woman who lives in my house" person? Send her up here, I'll give her the crash course in doing your share and not making life harder for your roomates. :)

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I've decided to just stay out of the WTLWM discussion. That's a hole I cannot afford to dig myself out of, literally and figuratively. But I feel your pain on the snowblower belt FC. Mine broke last year right in the middle of me removing about 18 inches from my driveway. I figured I was hosed as it was around seven at night and the hardware stores were closed. On a whim I tried the local automotive store that's open until eight and lo and behold they carry all sorts of belts. Took my broken one down there and they matched it up to one they had in stock. I was back up and blowing snow in under an hour. So there's your "save your back" tip for the day. Oh, no snow around here yet, but it was mighty chilly this morning. Did I ever tell you I hate winter? :nah:

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    The WTLWM thing is all in fun and no real harm meant. I'm almost afraid to try starting my snowthrower. I didn't end up using it at all last year. I saw this past weekend that Stabil now has a storage fuel stabilizer that's supposed to keep fuel good for up to 24 months. I started using non ethanol gas a while back after a small engine mechanic that I know recommended it. There is one chain of stations that has the non ethanol that I know of. It is labeled as super unleaded.

Reactions: firechick

firechick

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 24, 2009
    Upstate New York
    I wouldn't recommend digging any holes with the WTLWM either, they sound like they could make life rough on a fella. :) The MTLWM does a lot to make my life easier too. It makes for a good gig from my point of view.

There isn't a store that carries any kind of belt within 15 miles of here and it was 5 a.m. His shift starts at 7:00 a.m 45 minutes away in good weather.

Sure enough, he's going to Runnings tomorrow after work to look at a new machine. Our is 15 years old now. If he gets it we'll keep the old one and be able to do both driveways at the same time and have a spare if one breaks down. That would cut about a 20 minutes off the job which would certainly be nice on work days when the wether is bad.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    It seems kind of odd to me but I've developed a new pattern with my snus usage at work. I'm always fine at home with general mint and don't use any es portions at home. I had been just using one es portion of thunder in the morning and mint the rest of the day. I'm now using the one es in the morning and another in the afternoon at work and the mint doesn't always scratch the itch in between. I guess I'm going to have to get more es portions next time. I'd kinda like to try the new thunder holiday snus.

Last edited:

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    All in good fun on the WTLWM indeed. She does more than her fair share around the house and makes life tremendously easier on me. I aggravate some of her pet peeves as well, like leaving the kitchen cabinet doors slightly ajar and the classic toilet seat fiasco.

My snowthrower is coming into its 3rd season, so I'm anticipating no problems. I make sure to make it out and back and start it up for a few minutes during the off season, get the oil moving and burn a little of the gas so there's less in the tank if it ends up going sour.

Speaking of moving fluids, after I broke into my own barn to hit the learn button on the opener, I discovered my El Camino had drained the entire transmission worth of fluid on the floor. It was leaking about a half quart every 3 months or so, but the last time I drove it I must have blown the Permatex around the snapped off bolt. I absolutely hate working with transmissions, so when I get up the extra cash I'll have to take it to a shop and have them deal with it. No doubt they'd do a better job faster than I ever could.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I had a nice four day weekend. I had to take a vacation day to get it as we are always open the day after Thanksgiving. My oldest was home from college and just went back yesterday. I forget how much I miss her until she comes home for a visit.

Reactions: The Rebel

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    It was a nice mini vacation Hitt. Like you, my company thinks they'll make a killing on the Friday after Thanksgiving when in reality it probably costs them more in labor and maintenance than to close. So I used a vacation day as well. Went across the state to visit relatives, eat some turkey, and watch the Lions squeak by the Vikings. Headed north on Friday with the my father in-law and the boys to do some deer hunting. My 10 year old shot a nice size doe so I'll have some venison for the freezer this year. Going to make some summer sausage and jerky out of some of it. Wife isn't a fan of the taste but the boys love it. Overall a good weekend, except for that dreaded feeling late yesterday about setting the alarm for today. Just have to look forward to some more time off in December. ;)

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I asked one of the guys that worked Friday and they had four customers from 7-1:00 and left shortly after that. That isn't even enough to pay for the lights to be on.

If you have too much jerky then feel free to send the extra my way. There are some deer hunters here at my work and one of the guys brings some in to me once in a while. The best deer jerky I've ever had was made by a guy that worked for a past customer. I always regret losing that account this time of year. He would make a bunch and would give me a big bag of it when I saw him.

I too am looking forward to some more time off. I am taking the week after Christmas off. I saved vacation days not knowing what time I would need off since we couldn't really afford a vacation this year. I ended up with more days left over than I can really use. I guess I'll just lose one or two.

Enjoy your kids while you can. My daughter went back to college yesterday and I can't believe how hard it's hitting me. I don't know what I'll do when both of them are gone.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    My mother in law works for a DME/powerchair provider, the boss made them stay the entire 9-5 on Black Friday and they had exactly 2 phone calls and 0 customers.

We had a good long weekend. Visited family and relaxed mostly. Put up a bunch of Christmas lights and went to the tree farm and got an ugly blue spruce. It's her family's tradition to ignore all the "perfect" tree's and pick a "Charlie Brown" style tree.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I had a good week. Had some hummas on Monday and Tuesday and found out on FB that there was a recall doe to Listeria. I found that out after having a headache in the morning which was unusual for me. Of course that is one of the symptoms and apparently it can take u to 2 months for it to really take affect so I keep looking for symptoms.

Today I had neck pain, a symptom, but I had trouble getting the chainsaw started so it might just have been from that. Took my uncle's Nissan in for inspection and a headache developed. Listeriosis or more side affects from the chainsaw?

Two things that really bothered me though was I lost my balance a bit while putting air in the tires and when asked for my phone number checking the car in, I couldn't remember it. Both symptoms but then there's psychosomatic reaction to reading what the symptoms are that you need to look for. As long as I don't start vomiting or having ........ 4 days straight, I brush everything off.

I have to at least survive until mid February so that woman can go to Hawaii for 5 days. She had a pool tournament the weekend before TDay and they won. I get to stay home, take care of the dogs and feel free for five.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Nah, if I really thought I had it, I'd find a doctor. I don't feel I'm psychosomatic but you never know after reading how bad it can be so every little sign is reviewed. I also may have it but my immune system is battling it which I might tend to accept. It has gotten me thinking about establishing a family doctor though. I had a guy years ago that I really liked. He understood me and I trusted him. Once he moved on, my doctor experience is basically non-existent.

I've been to the doctor once in the last 30/40 years and that was when my gf and I broke up (her decision, not mine). I was a mess. I didn't go to work for a week and painted the inside of my house with brushes. My kind of therapy. That was 16 years ago. The doc that took over for the guy I liked talked about my smoking and he lost me immediately. Wanted me to go for blood work, never happened.

I had a blood pressure issue back 8-10 years ago, I could feel it. Did a cayenne pepper/honey "treatment", which I thought was going to kill me, and a week later, bp was back to normal.

At nearly 70, I'm willing to accept a quick exit. As long as I'm feeling "normal", I don't want docs looking for trouble. Once I'm not there, I want a fast end. I'll be retired 15 years next Nov. For most people that's equivalent to living to 80 if you retired at 65. I've had a good and satisfactory life and rewarded for it handsomely. I'm working on the desert now.

End of Roth philosophy.

Users who are viewing this thread