What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
Who else is gonna keep all the whippersnappers in here in line Roth? :blink:

At work we often joke about the relationship between our individual jobs and our mortality.

All the jobs have a number and a short name. For instance, mine is 0-1745S, aka HVAC Build up. Marvin has 0-1745R aka HVAC Install. My job is commonly called HVAC Build up, but Marvin has been on HVAC Install so long (over 10 years) that everyone refers to it as "Marv's Job." He jokes that he wants some of his ashes spread on the floor mats so that it will always be "Marv's Job."

I worked for a nice overtime check in preparation for for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, totally spacing on the fact my mortgage was due, so that put the kaibash on that. I did pick up a liter of Nude Nicotine for the freezer with their black Friday code however.

Reactions: firechick

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I picked up a liter from MFS for 30. I also bought a koopor mini for $9 somewhere else. I placed a spur of the moment snus order today and got one of the ten can cans of Thunder Xmas snus. It wasn't the smartest thing to do right before Xmas but gosh darn it I just wanted it. I also added a roll of my regular thunder raspberry and five cans of lab 13.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
    Nov 21, 2014
    Duck River Tasmania
    www.facebook.com
    Retire at 65? I'm pretty sure the day I retire will be the same day as my funeral. :(
    Lol retirement in my situation was not somthing I wanted to do, this was caused by injuies sustained and in my local if you are over 50 then as far as employers go; you have passed your use by date. Young un's find it hard to find work and there belive it or not those that are really keen to work and work hard. We oldies are on the trash heap here....so be it. I have my finger in a few pies and still manage to make a pittance on the side. It's when one throws in the towel, that is when aging becomes very fast and the rot sets in.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
    Nov 21, 2014
    Duck River Tasmania
    www.facebook.com
    I thought about it but then I'd have to find a doctor. After that the doc would have blood drawn and find everything wrong that needs pills, after which, they'd have to treat all the complications from the pills.
    Ain't that the gospel truth, once the medical profession gets their hooks into you then extracting them out of your system is harder than removing a fish hook. I am convinced that when you go to a GP you become a human guine pig to test new drugs on the market....No thanks, there is truth in the saying: "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    What a crazy day, most of it spent fighting with my fireTVStick. I'm so far down the rabbit hole that I feel I'm back in IT. I decided it was time to make me invisible on the net so I got IP Vanish which seemed like a good idea at the time. My PC is in New York and my TV is in Miami. Everything was fine until I tried to get into my favorite movie program where it wants you to hit a website on your PC to pair it with your TV. The only problem was that now neither device is on my network as far as the world is concerned.

By mid afternoon and fiddling with things, I not only couldn't pair the devices, I couldn't even get to any of the content. Things got worse when I added a UK based app Real-Debrid. I got to the point no program was delivering anything. I was just about to give up the project when I noticed that the URL resolver that was loading was a 2.x.x version and the video I was watching had a 3.x.x version.

I started all over uninstalling the urlresolver which first required that I uninstall all the viewer programs that weren't working anymore anyway. Found the right URLsolver app and went through the process of getting the tvstick registered in Real-Debrid, reinstalling the programs and everything works tremendously now.

I don't know how the tech challenged crowd deals with stuff like this.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    So did you give up on the fire stick? Let me know what you think of the slingbox. I've got cable tv through time warner and also have an apple tv box and a Netflix subscription. When my youngest daughter goes to college in a few years the Netflix will go away since she's about the only one that uses it. I don't know much about the slingbox. Is it a pay subscription?

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    LOL Hitt, I don't have slingbox. That was a joke. A VPN disguises your actual location, prevents Web tracking and avoids leaving a digital footprint. Verizon is doing a lot of tracking and when I upgraded last time the Verizon rep made a comment about my heavy usage. That shows up due to things like Netflix, Amazon Prime and all the traffic that the TV stick creates. Next thing you know, they'll start charging for bandwidth like cell phones. If they can't see it, they can't gauge the usage. My TV and phone still sit in my living room, they just look that they're in different cities on different networks.

Reactions: hittman

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I have Xfinity (Comcast) tv/internet/home phone. It came off two year price a few months ago. I called to ask about getting a cheaper cable package, but with the combo discount of my particular package, it was only going to save 10 bucks dropping the channels down or 30 cutting the cable all together. At $30 I figured I wouldn't come out too far ahead by the time I subscribed to streaming services, so I'll just keep it for now.

Got my lawn equipment setup for storage and moved to the barn. Also started the snowthrower and generator and let them run a bit. Figured it was time since we got about an inch of snow last night. Thankfully it won't stick since it's good and sunny currently.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I get it now. I guess I'm a little slow catching on today.I would like to figure out a way to decrease my cable costs without listening to the wife and daughter complain.

I got an email from Sprint the other day that I was a loyal customer and was eligible for a new less expensive cell phone plan. Well after about half an hour on the phone, I got signed up on the new plan. I'll save about $15 a month to begin with and when my youngest daughter's phone is out of contract then I'll get the bill lowered another $25 a month. I hate how sprint has followed suit and started leasing phones and doesn't offer the cheap phones with contract renewal. That's how we got all of our phones in the past. When I need a new phone, I'll just buy one cheap online if they are still doing just leases. I just put a new battery in my daughter's iPhone 6 so she should be good for a while now. The batteries are pretty easy to replace. I think it took us maybe 10 minutes.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Apple's slipping making a phone that customers can actually get into and replace the batter. They need to get their design crew on that immediately. ;)

So you replaced it in less than 5 minutes. Did you heat up the phone or use the pull tabs to extract the glue and replace with new. I just did the youtube tour on how to. Looked pretty cool as long as you had a few tools.

My best move thus far was buying reconditioned phones off the internet. Still put out about $230 for the two phones but considering it would have cost $30 to insure two brand new phones each months, I've already saved enough on insurance to pay for one and well on the way to pay for the other. Even with insurance it still costs you something like $75 if you need to use it. I'll live with last year's phones and take my chances.

Waho, I don't know why they don't get smart and just offer ala carte programming. They offer hundreds of channels and most people don't use more than a couple dozen. If I were on a tight budget I'd be a cord cutter today if I could figure out how to get some of the things I like over the net that I haven't found as reliable at this point.

Hitt, what does she watch? Where you live I'd expect local stations could be picked up with one of the digital antennas they have these days. That's one of the reasons I can't cut the cord. Living rural has advantages but that's not one of them.

Hitt are you supposed to carry that can with you? :shock: What's in it?

Reactions: firechick

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    There are ten cans of the Xmas snus inside that big can. I'm gonna need bigger pockets.

The better question would be what don't they watch. Our dvr can record six shows at a time and there have been a couple times I couldn't switch the channel because too many shows were recording. My wife and daughter have many shows and movies that they watch. Or at least record and think they are going to watch. I have a handful of shows I record so I can skip through commercials. We could get some channels with an antenna but not everything that they want.

On her iPhone, I was able to pull the tabs and get the battery out. Probably because the phone isn't that old. I bought a kit from ifixit.com that came with the battery, screwdrivers, and a couple plastic tools. It was 45 shipped which is super cheap compared to buying a new phone.

Users who are viewing this thread