What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Sorry Hitt, I feel for you. It's been so long since I've felt that way but it's not missed. All you can do is work through it and enjoy the times when it's not so hectic. As much as I disliked changes that took place in my career toward the end, the biggest thing missing was those days like you're experiencing right now. It got so bad, or so good, that I was actually bored the last few years. So much so that all I wanted was to retire.

Reactions: hittman

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Time for a "me" day Hitt. I take those from time to time just to veg and recharge the old mental batteries. Just chill out at home, watch a movie, take a nap, do nothing. Sometimes the mind and body needs that especially if you don't get a chance to do it on a weekend. And I know my weekends are usually just as busy and stressful as the work week. So when I'm feeling like work is becoming a bit too much I just schedule my "me" day when the wife is working and the kids are in school so I have the house to myself. Works wonders to change my outlook. ;)

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    That's not a bad idea except my wife doesn't work so it wouldn't be an alone day. Last weekend was busy all day Saturday and part of Sunday so it didn't feel like I got to rest up at all. I like being busy at work but being this far behind for this long starts to wear on me. Part of the problem with taking off is that I lose money. Part of my pay is commission based so I don't make any commission when I take time off. Right now we're scrambling trying to figure out how we're going to pay for college for my oldest daughter next semester. I'm sure there will be some kind of student loan involved. On a more positive note, she got a small part in a play at a theater in Springfield. She started rehearsals this past Sunday and is excited about that. She's coming home Friday on spring break. At first she thought she was going to have to go back during the week for rehearsals but they are giving the college kids the week off so they can come home. It'll be the first time I've seen her since winter break.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    I feel ya Hitt. We've been on a 6 day schedule since the second week in January and my fiance always has my Sunday booked. I'm assuming it's going to get worse with her sister having her baby any day now and my fiance not feeling comfortable driving that far to see her, so that'll end up being my Sundays I think.

I did get my boss to let me take a half day today to deal with this.

I was drinking coffee and looking out the window and happened to be there at the right time to watch it uproot during what was probably a 50+ mph gust.

Tried to call my fiance and tell her I'd be home early, and it went right to voice mail, so I know the power is out. She refuses to have a cell phone, so I have no way to contact her and see if powers out because they're fixing it or it fell and there's live wires on the ground. Ugh...

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I looks like winter wants to give us one more go here. After today the temps return to 30s highs and teens lows with snow expected tomorrow night. I guess I should check out how much to expect but I became an addict on Tuesday.

I listened to everyone talking about Game of Thrones for years and I avoided it. However Tuesday was a rainy miserable day so I put up the initial season and now I'm looking at trying to cover 60 hours of shows before spring. It got so bad that I didn't realize Wednesday came and went.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I was late to the game with that show and a few others but once I started watching then became addicted. I ran through the whole series of Sons of Anarchy on Netflix. I also did the same on the old show Heroes. I don't know if the new one got cancelled or what.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Northerner looks to be close to folding their tents. They barely carry any brands anymore and mostly what they carry can be found in a local gas station. Too bad as I started out ordering quite a bit from them but switched once they dropped all the good snus. But putting together group buys basically made the shipping from Buysnus and Snuscentral pretty close to Northerners anyway so it was a wash. Still doing pretty good with my freezer supply but I can see putting together another order sometime in the near future...

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Now that the local $1.99 General sale is over, my freezer stash is pretty low. Count me in on any group purchase.

I've been jonesing some goteborgs prima fint. I ended up having to toss one can of the last 5 I got, the los doesn't keep in the freezer worth a darn. Even being vacuum sealed it tasted like freezer burn after 4 months.

Still no power on my street. At least that tree hasn't fallen and taken out the power lines.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    If you get the urge, grab a can of prima fint. When it's good and fresh, the texture makes for easier hand baking of prillas than the other los I've tried. I have a 3ml stainless Icetool that makes it super simple though. Plus the flavor is one of my favorites, straight woody tobacco with a very slight sweetness. I'd give my left arm for it in white portions.

The power is back on! Consumers fixed the downed line down the street and took down my neighbors tree that was on my power line. But, they dropped the tree in my yard. She's in Florida for the next month at least, and I have no way to contact her. Legally, she's responsible for the clean up and any damage to my lawn since it's her tree. I don't care about the lawn so much, but I've got enough stuff to do with out sawing up/hauling out that tree.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Tastes great fresh Hitt, but IMHO not worth the hassle. I've never been able to get it out without creating a mush mess and needing a teeth brushing to get rid of the remains.

Waho, I hate to tell you this, but the tree is basically your problem, unless Michigan has some unusual laws. Let me see if I can find a reference.

If a Tree Falls Into Another Person's Yard Who Is Responsible to Remove It?

My sister had three trees from the company next to them fall, not only to the ground, but also on their garage and car. Their insurance covered the loss but that was to get the trees off the garage plus repairs to both the garage and car. You might want to check with your insurance company as to whether they'll cover cleanup.

You might find someone that burns some cedar (if that's what the tree is). I've burnt some cedar but I don't make a habit of it. Dried properly, it's not too bad as long as the flames don't get too high. If you mix it with hardwood, it's not bad at all.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    The Consumers Energy guys said it was her problem, but I called my home owners insurance and asked them about it. Since it didn't damage anything on my property (lawn doesn't count), my insurance won't cover any cleanup. However, since it did damage my neighbors fence, the cleanup of the tree and repair of the fence are considered one "event" that she's responsible for being as it's her tree and fence. She could choose to claim it or just call a company to clean it up. Either way, it's not my responsibility, but only because it damaged her fence. If I do decide to clean up the stuff that's on my property, it would be the bulk of the claim if she decides to claim it. That might end up screwing her for the fence repair based on whatever her deductible is. Sucks she's in Florida for the next month or two and I don't have her number for down there.

The tree is a regular old common white spruce. Were it a hardwood I'd be out there with the chainsaw right now. I might go cut a chunk off the base of the trunk for a good stump to put my anvil on. I've been watching too much Forged in Fire on History and decided to give blacksmithing a shot.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Pretty much so FC, as ready as you can get. Want to pull the battery out of the lawn tractor and put a charge on it in case of an outage, make sure I have a full load of wood in the house and fire up the blower yet, but that's about all that can be done right now. Definitely not looking forward to it, but the silver lining is that the lingering effects should be short. Once the cold week is out of the way, it should melt off quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread