hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Go ahead and rub it in Rebel. The past few years there hasn't been much money left over for vacations since my oldest started college. I have been basically taking a day here and there and then a few days off over Christmas. I usually take a day for college move in and move out. I'm not going for move in this time since I'll be taking off over labor day to go to Ohio. When I take off, I lose any commission that I would have made those days. It'd be a little easier to absorb if my wife was able to work.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Would never rub it in my friend. My vacations are usually camping, which is fairly cheap, or staycations where I work around the house getting crap done. I haven't taken a real, leave the state vacation in over five years. Our household is on a strict budget since I took over the bill paying from wife earlier this year. We need to pay off some dept before our boys join the ranks of licensed drivers. Gonna need the extra cash for vehicles and insurance plus I'll need to widen the driveway for extra parking. Ugh...

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I was just joking. We haven't left the state for a vacation in several years either. You've got that right about the kids being expensive once they start driving. I tried looking for cheap cars for them but anything 5k or less was high mileage and beat up. I didn't want to buy them something that I'd spend every weekend working on or spending thousands at the repair shop. My oldest daughter's car had to have tires and wheel bearings this summer before going back to college. It's not just buying the cars that's expensive but you can count on $100+ a month for insurance for each one. My oldest is going back to college Friday to start her 3rd year and my youngest will be a junior in high school as of tomorrow. My oldest should graduate college the same year that my youngest starts so there will be no break in between. I'm hoping that the youngest will do the A+ program and go to community college to get the basics out of the way but I won't make her. We let the oldest go off her first year and need to be fair to the youngest. However, the community colleges don't have acting programs that would have been a good fit for my oldest.

Reactions: The Rebel

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    I thought kids were expensive when they were younger, but it's only gotten worse. Now they just do more stuff that costs money and eat more food. I just shelled out $140 for football cleats and that's just the beginning. I've budgeted $700 a month for groceries and that barely covers it each month. Thank God we get that quarter cow each year or I'd be looking at a grand a month! Luckily I have a couple years before the oldest gets behind the wheel so I can start saving now. And I agree, anything under $5000 is usually a piece of junk and although I don't mind doing a little wrenching, I don't want to spend every weekend doing it. Still have to do the brakes on my wife and my cars before the snow flies. Just a matter of finding the time which I never seem to have enough of...

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I did replace tie rod ends on my oldest daughter's car the first year she started driving. She took a friend home and slid on a patch of ice and hit a curb hard and bent the tie rod end on one side so I went ahead and did both. I really dislike working on cars any more but do what I can to save money if it's something I know how to do. I'm not sure how much it is there but state college here is going for around 8k a semester before scholarships. I'm going to be riding my youngest starting this year to start applying for scholarships early. My oldest got a couple of one time scholarships and a recurring academic scholarship as long as she keeps her grades up. It still barely touches tuition.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Did you mean veteran discount? My father in law said he always gets it at home depot even though he's not retired or anything. He just did a regular tour of service like I did. When I got my dishwasher at Home Depot they gave me the discount. At lowes there was a manager that was really pissy about it and said I couldn't get the military discount.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Man, where did the summer go? Last weekend before the boys start school. I'm pretty sure I only tackled about two or three things on my to do list. Going to work on our fishing boat this weekend to get it ready for Labor Day weekend when we go on our last camping trip. Campground is only about 15 minutes away from the house and has a nice 80 acre private lake. So it makes a good spot for it's maiden voyage. It's also a no wake lake so no worries about getting run over by some fool in a speed boat or jetski. Just going to putz around with the trolling motor as the outboard needs some work to get it going. That one is on my to do list for the winter...:rolleyes:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    That's nice that it's so close to you. My youngest started school last Wednesday and the oldest went back to college last Friday. The cooler than normal weather has my dog's grass pollen allergy starting already. It's usually not until September but started a couple weeks ago. I get so tired of seeing her not feeling good. I'm going to ask the vet to try something different besides steroids this year. They don't seem to help a lot.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Rebel, that's funny but at the same time convenient, a 15 minute trip to camping. I could do the same thing, actually less than 10 minutes for me, sans the private lake. I could go another 5 minutes and hit another campground also. In fact there are two more that are less than a half hour from my house. Of course living in the woods kind of reduces the mystique of camping, I could just carry my gear to the back of my property and save the campground cost.

I can't believe your daughter is already a junior Hitt, time passes so quickly.

This drone bug is getting expensive. You have to take baby steps to get to what you'd like to eventually do and you get sidetracked by all the possibilities. Plus there are all the spare batteries you have to buy along the way since, until you get into the top shelf stuff, you're looking at 5-10 minute run times on each battery. I'm in the process of charging up over 10 batteries from three different drones I used today.

Tuesday I'm getting a simulator program in before I even think of putting the one drone in the air so I have a better chance of not breaking it right away. The one drone I bought is hobby grade capable of flying rate/acro mode which means your getting no help from gyros or altitude hold. In other words, your joy sticks are your only mode of defense against expensive repairs if you decide to run in that mode. It can be flown with gyros on which certainly stabilizes the flight although not nearly as well as having altitude hold and a gps on board. I think this would be a lot easier if I spent half my life in the gamer world because this is like a step up from that.

I did find a $30 drone that will bind to the controller from the bigger drone so I'm hoping between the sim program and the little drone I can get proficient enough to have confidence when I put my bigger money in the air. In addition, I'll have all winter to hone my skills.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    You're going to be an expert before long. I had to replace a broken drive cable on my self propelled mower. What a pain. The old one came right off but I had to take the wheels off and some bolts loose to get enough room to hook the new spring on the cable to the drive lever.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I hate fixing stuff (see my snowblower adventures last year). You see things that, designed better, would make repairs much easier but no. I think that's done intentionally to convince people not to even try.

Expert is along way off, I'd just like to get somewhat proficient. What's so cool though is when you get in trouble and pull out of it instinctively. I was flying the replacement for the one that flew away on me a few weeks back in my yard. It's bigger and faster than any of the others I normally fly here due to all the places you can get in trouble fast.

I had it flying at it's fastest setting and it got behind me between a couple trees and a bush. Muscle memory got me to all the right moves and I flew it out of trouble. What a rush.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I need to vent. The past couple weeks at work have been horrible. It seems like just about anything that can go wrong does. I've got three of these high dollar units in for repair that I have a bunch of time and parts tied up in and got one finished yesterday and went to test it. It powered up normally and seemed to work fine at first. Then all of a sudden I hear a noise and a coil that is hidden inside the unit caught fire. All of that work down the tubes. I talked to a factory rep about it and he said that it was a very unusual failure and that there was no reason that I should have found it before powering it up. It did make me feel a little better but crap like that has been one after the next the past couple weeks and it's really wearing on me. I hope my trip this coming weekend helps me to reset.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    This time the regional sales rep is going to credit us for the parts. It's a huge account for him and he has to take care of them. When I did the initial quote it was only on parts that I found bad without applying power to the unit and let the customer know that there could be more wrong after the unit was powered up. They are still going to have to pay the labor time spent on the two units. It's not even one of our customer's. I've been doing some work for a competitor of ours since their people can't keep up. There is no way that I'm even going to get close to being caught up before I leave. It's going to be a total hell storm when I get back.

Users who are viewing this thread