What's With The Low Ohm Coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I have several tanks that I use store bought coils with and a couple of RTA's. I mostly vape at .5 ohm, but I have a tank that I MTL with at 1.2 ohm.

Pretty much all of the new stuff I see on the market is .15 or .2 or .25 ohm. Why? Can someone explain the attraction to such low ohm vaping? How do those coils/tanks vape differently or better than .5 ohm? Is it a flavor thing? Clouds? What?

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
I use mechs a lot so the difference is obvious.
When your using a regulated device, I don't see the reason either.
Apart from the silly ramp up time of thicker wire and low wattage I see no difference.

I suppose that some can detect subtle differences in terms of flux and things but not me. Just silly ramp up.

I think it seems to be a selling point for many. The lower the ohms, the better the vape :?:

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
It really is nuts. I enjoy subing...by pre 2016 standards, but I don't see the purpose either except for clouds. Maybe heat?

I just don't understand why improvements can't be made to something in the .5 coil range 30-40 watts. This super high range just drinks the juice, requires more battery life....I just don't see who's winning anymore.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Yeah, I get that. What I don't get is the sudden influx of pretty much all low resistance coils/tanks. How did this become THE thing overnight?

Supply and demand.

Someone did it, lots bought it.
Now, everyone does it.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
So let's see, I vape at 8 to 11W on an istick 30 with MTL tanks with 0.7 to 1.8 ohm coils, lasts for 2 days without a recharge, need only 2ml of juice a day, great flavor and nic satisfaction. Let me immediately go to 80 to 100W and spend lots of money and time buying gallons of juice and charging 2 to 4 batteries every day! Then again ... maybe not :rolleyes:

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I just don't understand why improvements can't be made to something in the .5 coil range 30-40 watts. This super high range just drinks the juice, requires more battery life....I just don't see who's winning anymore.

The juice companies are winning in this situation, I'd say, although the FDA has been making sure everyone loses.

As for OP, there is no point IMO. Not for what you're asking, anyway. You're way more likely to find an RDA or RTA on top of a mech/unreg than a sub ohm tank with factory coils. Not that people don't use those things together, but I don't think that particular pairing is as common as the sudden influx suggests. Meaning, super duper low ohms aren't necessary on a regulated device and I'd be comfortable guessing that most people using true unregulated devices use mostly rebuildable toppers. A number of AIOs and starter devices work like an unregulated device but have power caps or other limits through chips that don't account for the .2 and .15 coils proliferating.

Everyone needs to use what works best for them, but companies are making coils of extremely low resistances at the expense of even mid-subohm range (.4-.8ish) simply because the demand is there, but I think it's misguided.

I just honestly think that lots of people believe the myth that going extremely low is the magic solution to getting more vapor and better flavor. This isn't even universally true with an unregulated/mech, let alone a regulated device, which is why I said the demand is misguided; it's based on incorrect information. But I think newer vapers who read or watch videos online especially see all these folks building/using .1 ohm stapled staggered fused whatever-the-foop and think they need that low of a resistance to get a good vape.

That said, I sometimes build my own .1(5) ohm stapled staggered fused whatever-the-foop, but just recently my partner and I were marveling over the fact that a 2x28g*36g fused clapton at 45W was well outperforming a number of much "fancier," lower res coils. Better vapor, better flavor, everything.

So, short answer as everyone has said, companies will make what people want. It's just kind of silly that so many people feel they need such low resistances in their tanks. Especially since even the best factory heads that are quite that low often don't work well on a fully unregulated device, IMO.

Shrug, though. People can buy what they like. I mostly build, anyway.

Last edited:

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui
People think low ohms = big cloudz bro. It actually depends on a number of factors, such as liquid ratio, airflow, surface area, etc. I agree it seems a bit silly, especially on a regulated mod, but! I'd rather clueless people buy a .15 coil than try to wrap it themselves.
Look at that one guy who just wrote about his mech mod vibrating. He did 3 wraps of 24g kanthal and didn't measure the ohms. I'd much rather people like him have the option of buying the premade coils if they insist on vaping something that low.

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
What a concept. Imagine that.....not everyone vapes the same or has the same preferences. I never understood the whole "why would some prefer to vape this way" mentality. Just because someone chooses to vape differently than you do does not mean it is silly, etc. Live, and let live...and stop worrying about people that are do things differently than you do. :facepalm:

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui
What a concept. Imagine that.....not everyone vapes the same or has the same preferences. I never understood the whole "why would some prefer to vape this way" mentality. Just because someone chooses to vape differently than you do does not mean it is silly, etc. Live, and let live...and stop worrying about people that are do things differently than you do. :facepalm:

I agree with you - to a point. As long as they're doing it safely, godspeed. However, when someone blows up their face because they're using a .01 coil on a trustfire battery, that affects all of us. "They" are looking for any excuse to shut us down.

Reactions: LMS62

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
I agree with you - to a point. As long as they're doing it safely, godspeed. However, when someone blows up their face because they're using a .01 coil on a trustfire battery, that affects all of us. "They" are looking for any excuse to shut us down.
Very understandable, but in the context of this thread, the OP is not talking about .01 coils, he is talking about lower ohm pre-built coils such as .15, .20, and .25ohm. You know, pretty much anything lower than what he prefers to use. These threads always remind me of the old saying..."anyone who drives slower than you is an idiot, and anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac". ;)

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
Very understandable, but in the context of this thread, the OP is not talking about .01 coils, he is talking about lower ohm pre-built coils such as .15, .20, and .25ohm. You know, pretty much anything lower than what he prefers to use. These threads always remind me of the old saying..."anyone who drives slower than you is an idiot, and anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac"

This question was NOT about me thinking anyone doing it different than me is an idiot. Never said anything like that. It was an honest question trying to understand the attraction of super low ohm coils/tanks because that seems to be all the manufacturers are making now. Thanks for reading something else into it.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
These threads always remind me of the old saying..."anyone who drives slower than you is an idiot, and anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac". ;)

But that doesn't also mean it's not worth looking at why that is. I honestly don't see a lot of judgment in the OP's posts in this thread. OP asked what the attraction is and if someone can explain how those coils differ from what OP uses. Then asked how it became the "Big Thing" overnight. What is wrong with that?

If I'm being perfectly frank, the most judgment I see in this thread is from you towards OP...

We are here to answer exactly the kind of questions OP asked, and they were asked in a perfectly innocent way. IMHO if you find it annoying for people to even ask these questions, there is nothing wrong with just moving on to the next thread.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I guess I'll say that you have nickel coils and stainless steel coils as well others. Nickel is lower ohms per length and SS is higher ohms per length. I always use temp mode so these are my choices for coil material. Lately I have been using Smok tanks and the RBAs are coming with SS Clapton coils at .4 ohms which is one of the higher coils I've seen and this is a dual setup so each coil is .8 ohm and I can't find a .8 ohm Clapton coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread