What's your favorite bf atomizer for flavor???

Status
Not open for further replies.

citral

Sep 9, 2017
I had a hobo V3.1 sitting on the shelf eying me since weeks but that I never bothered trying as it came without a squonk pin. Was a bit bored yesterday and started to play around, found the narda BF pin fits, throwed a quick dual 26g 7 wraps 316L at .3 ohms and wow... I guess it's the narda that will sit on the shelf now (as I always try to keep it down to 3 rdas in my rotation)

First, absolutely NO spitback whatsoever the vapor is very, very fine and smooth. 2nd, it has no whistling sound the airflow is also extremely smooth, which solves the spitback question along with coils being not directly under your mouth. 3rd, it's a breath to build, will have to try that one on single coil setup for even easier setup. 4th, you can oversquonk no problem, leakproof.

The narda is really not fun to build. This post screws are unconveniant, turn the wire with them when you tighten them, placing the coil and wicking with this protuding post screws is annoying, all in all it has a "middle age" feeling to it lol.

So granted if you're after absolute flavor, maybe the hobo is a notch under the narda (will see with single coil to be fair), but tbh I prefer the conveniance to build, and smooth quality of the vapor and airflow over a noisy, spitting flavor beast. To each his own as they say.

Now I'm eying the hadaly with it's not-so-great clamps, too low airflows that often leak, funny coil placement that you need to push really low to make work and think what could replace it for better conveniance, higher deck and airflow, notch stlye heh. The O-Atty never got my favor because it's way too airy for me.

My O-16 is not going anywhere tho, swapped the hobo for it to compare again and there's definitely more about it with its super small chamber and also no spitting, it definitely improves tobacco juices which is something I wouldn't even try on a Hobo. I don't do tobacco as ADV anyway.

Always great when you introduce an improvement in your daily setup :)

Reactions: VictorViper

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
How's the spitback? I have the feeling the mouth is really too close to the coil on the wasp by seeing it, never pulled the trigger because of that.

I'm using a 2.5mm 5-wrap SS spaced clapton and it is a bit warm with a fresh battery - but it's fine after a bit of use. I'm using a short 510 tip off a Solo RDA that adds a few millimeters to the cap and it's perfect.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I had a hobo V3.1 sitting on the shelf eying me since weeks but that I never bothered trying as it came without a squonk pin. Was a bit bored yesterday and started to play around, found the narda BF pin fits, throwed a quick dual 26g 7 wraps 316L at .3 ohms and wow... I guess it's the narda that will sit on the shelf now (as I always try to keep it down to 3 rdas in my rotation)

First, absolutely NO spitback whatsoever the vapor is very, very fine and smooth. 2nd, it has no whistling sound the airflow is also extremely smooth, which solves the spitback question along with coils being not directly under your mouth. 3rd, it's a breath to build, will have to try that one on single coil setup for even easier setup. 4th, you can oversquonk no problem, leakproof.

The narda is really not fun to build. This post screws are unconveniant, turn the wire with them when you tighten them, placing the coil and wicking with this protuding post screws is annoying, all in all it has a "middle age" feeling to it lol.

So granted if you're after absolute flavor, maybe the hobo is a notch under the narda (will see with single coil to be fair), but tbh I prefer the conveniance to build, and smooth quality of the vapor and airflow over a noisy, spitting flavor beast. To each his own as they say.

Now I'm eying the hadaly with it's not-so-great clamps, too low airflows that often leak, funny coil placement that you need to push really low to make work and think what could replace it for better conveniance, higher deck and airflow, notch stlye heh. The O-Atty never got my favor because it's way too airy for me.

My O-16 is not going anywhere tho, swapped the hobo for it to compare again and there's definitely more about it with its super small chamber and also no spitting, it definitely improves tobacco juices which is something I wouldn't even try on a Hobo. I don't do tobacco as ADV anyway.

Always great when you introduce an improvement in your daily setup :)

I haven't personally had the Hadaly leak once, if that's your main concern. That said, it was also my first squonking atty (or at least the first used TO squonk), so I did learn on it, specifically. If (and I'll assume since) other BF atties generally allow for more juice to sit in the well though, your muscle memory could pose a risk if you aren't careful at first.

Man, I hate chiming in on the Hadaly like a broken record, but whatever remains out there in the wild (authentic) is the last of it, so I feel almost obliged.

Reactions: citral

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
~snip~

Man, I hate chiming in on the Hadaly like a broken record, but whatever remains out there in the wild (authentic) is the last of it, so I feel almost obliged.

The Hadaly deserves any and all the praise that it receives.

Like the original Velocity, the Hadaly is a ground-breaking design that set the bar for single-coil RDAs. A lot of current attys evolved from the Hadaly design and might not exist otherwise. Granted - it's not perfect and can be a challenge with large diameter wire - but for single-strand wire it's tough to beat.

I have very few attys that I expect will always be part of my collection, and I can't see my Hadalys going anywhere. I have three and it's possible I might let one go at some point, but I'll keep the other two, along with my two Stumpys.

citral

Sep 9, 2017
I don't know, the hadaly is good, and no question it has set a mark, but I find my mouth too close to the coil on all those short attys. I have tried like 20-25 attys now and I just can't reproduce the flavour I get from the serpent SMM on anything else. It bothers me because I prefer drippers, need to find one with a small chamber and quite long chimney (or invest in a long drip-tip maybe). Or maybe it's the dual side + side-bottom airflow, idk. It nebulizes the juice like nothing else, all of these is subjective ofc.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I don't know, the hadaly is good, and no question it has set a mark, but I find my mouth too close to the coil on all those short attys. I have tried like 20-25 attys now and I just can't reproduce the flavour I get from the serpent SMM on anything else. It bothers me because I prefer drippers, need to find one with a small chamber and quite long chimney (or invest in a long drip-tip maybe). Or maybe it's the dual side + side-bottom airflow, idk. It nebulizes the juice like nothing else, all of these is subjective ofc.

Honestly the long drip tip fixes that issue you talk about with your mouth too close to the coil in short attys. I know cause it fixed that issue with the origen little 16. Night and day.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North

In the end it all comes down to personal preference. I can see where you might be disappointed in a lot of the newer single-coil drippers/squonkers as many are very short - like the Wasp Nano and Solo (two others that I really like, and consider an "evolution" of the Hadaly design) where the coil is very near the tip. Though I personally have never had any issues with a Hadaly.

With the Wasp and Solo it doesn't bother me at all, even though I do get occasional spitback or unvaporized juice when I over-squonk. I'm calling it the nature of the beast, and suggest that can happen with any squonking atty.

Good thing is, as SteamStack pointed out, you can remedy the issue.

Last edited:

Mostly_Harmless

Verified Member
Dec 25, 2016
US
I've tried a large range of RDAs, RDTAs, and single coil tanks. Nothing has come close to the NarDa. I wish the Hadaly could be on par, but in my experience, it cannot compete. I've spent a lot of time with different coil and wick combinations, but just can't get the same flavor experience on my mech squonk. NarDa with a 2.5MM clapton ohming out at .3 is bliss. Warm dense vapor, no spitback; it's just the bee's knees. I know, I'm a flapper spouting off pollywoppus.

Hoping someone with a similar taste can offer tips for the Hadaly, because it's so much easier to build than the NarDa.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I've tried a large range of RDAs, RDTAs, and single coil tanks. Nothing has come close to the NarDa. I wish the Hadaly could be on par, but in my experience, it cannot compete. I've spent a lot of time with different coil and wick combinations, but just can't get the same flavor experience on my mech squonk. NarDa with a 2.5MM clapton ohming out at .3 is bliss. Warm dense vapor, no spitback; it's just the bee's knees. I know, I'm a flapper spouting off pollywoppus.

Hoping someone with a similar taste can offer tips for the Hadaly, because it's so much easier to build than the NarDa.

Bearing in mind, I can't give you any frame of reference for the NarDA (sadly), I can tell you that my Hadaly build is explicit and amazing, so if it's nowhere close to what you've attempted, get on it. I don't play around, this is just "it" - for better or worse, because it ain't plain wire:

- Full Ni80 fused clapton 26/40awg, 3mm ID, contact coil. Generally hits around 0.3-0.32 ohms.
- Rayon or cotton wicked appropriately with fat tails that barely touch the deck
- Airflow wide open

I spend a tremendous amount of time ensuring I get the coil perfectly dead centre looking from the top down. Looking from each airflow inlet, I make sure it is utterly clear of wick material when looking through its corresponding hole on the other side. I do, however, want to see just the edges of the coil wraps from that angle.

Keeping the wick tails fat helps keep the deck dry and the chamber further restricted. I actually LOVE the Hadaly for squonking specifically because there's no juice well needed. I squonk once, maybe twice on my coffee breaks at work.

Obviously with the coil being so centred and close you have to nail your wick density, but I have no spitback issues since dialing this in. There are aftermarket caps that may help. I'll see if I can link one.

Anyway, it is perhaps just not for you, but that setup right there kicks .... and I can nail it every time. Hope it wasn't a confusing mess!

Mostly_Harmless

Verified Member
Dec 25, 2016
US
Bearing in mind, I can't give you any frame of reference for the NarDA (sadly), I can tell you that my Hadaly build is explicit and amazing, so if it's nowhere close to what you've attempted, get on it. I don't play around, this is just "it" - for better or worse, because it ain't plain wire:

- Full Ni80 fused clapton 26/40awg, 3mm ID, contact coil. Generally hits around 0.3-0.32 ohms.
- Rayon or cotton wicked appropriately with fat tails that barely touch the deck
- Airflow wide open

I spend a tremendous amount of time ensuring I get the coil perfectly dead centre looking from the top down. Looking from each airflow inlet, I make sure it is utterly clear of wick material when looking through its corresponding hole on the other side. I do, however, want to see just the edges of the coil wraps from that angle.

Keeping the wick tails fat helps keep the deck dry and the chamber further restricted. I actually LOVE the Hadaly for squonking specifically because there's no juice well needed. I squonk once, maybe twice on my coffee breaks at work.

Obviously with the coil being so centred and close you have to nail your wick density, but I have no spitback issues since dialing this in. There are aftermarket caps that may help. I'll see if I can link one.

Anyway, it is perhaps just not for you, but that setup right there kicks .... and I can nail it every time. Hope it wasn't a confusing mess!
Thanks for the feedback! I don't have Ni80, but I can probably build something similar using SS316L and give it a try.

Reactions: VictorViper

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Thanks for the feedback! I don't have Ni80, but I can probably build something similar using SS316L and give it a try.

It's funny, I don't often use Ni80, but it happens to ohm out juuuuust right, so I do what I gotta. I also buy my Clapton wire in sticks, so options for experimentation are limited by what I want to buy on a given stock up. The full Ni80s were the only option one day, so I tried them and they were like freaking glass slippers. Perfect fit.

You're probably gonna drop to 0.2 with an SS build, but the heat up should compensate somewhat. I'll be very curious to hear your thoughts.

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention it, but 5 wraps is a perfect fit for that wire's net gauge. 6 works, but if you do that I find it's better to angle the coil somewhat rather than bend the legs. The Hadaly wants an un-futzed-with coil and if you're having to form it really at all when installing it, you're in for a disappointment, IMO. Airflow supports the extra width otherwise, if you opt for an extra wrap.

[EDIT] Just realizing my last attempts using 6 wraps were with 26/32 gauge wire. 26/40 actually fits beautifully. Still not my preferred vape, but it was worth noting I could install 6 wraps dead parallel to the airflow without futzing with the leads whatsoever. 6 wraps with 26/40 SS may prove ideal.

Last edited:

citral

Sep 9, 2017
In the end it all comes down to personal preference. I can see where you might be disappointed in a lot of the newer single-coil drippers/squonkers as many are very short - like the Wasp Nano and Solo (two others that I really like, and consider an "evolution" of the Hadaly design) where the coil is very near the tip. Though I personally have never had any issues with a Hadaly.

With the Wasp and Solo it doesn't bother me at all, even though I do get occasional spitback or unvaporized juice when I over-squonk. I'm calling it the nature of the beast, and suggest that can happen with any squonking atty.

Good thing is, as SteamStack pointed out, you can remedy the issue.

Back from 1 week holiday using the Reo and hobo in dual coil (had not much time to vape so I swapped quickly the O-16 for it to get quick nic fixes) I was a bit suprised when coming back home, that I now find it has better flavour than the SMM. It's just preference and habit after all.

I was a bit scared at first I would be sort on battery with a .26 - .28 build but never needed more than 2 batts a day. A slightly longer drip-tip would get me exactly where I want on temperature I suppose while keeping the vapor plenty and saturated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread