What's your favorite rda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomerFZ1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yeah I'm all about the Magma as well. But I do have a Veritas on order though FT which means it should be here sometime in the 2020's. I've tried the Mephisto which is a great rda as well but more for lung hitters which I'm not. For an rta, I've tried many and the kayfun Lite Plus is still the standard with the Lemo and Erlkonigin a very close second (tied).

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
On some buils just one tail at the bottom with just some fluff at the top works But on the hotter builds i wick like this. I get better performance with the Veritas single coil.

94d48f6f74830a2bb7eb8b3e5a790d8f.jpg

Ok, so it could go either way then, short at the top, or letting it dangle over. I was thinking of rayon as a wick in that single-vertical build. Rayon needs so much more wick than cotton; at the bottom of that fat wick, the rayon could be teased apart so it's really fluffy, so it could really soak up some juice, and then it wouldn't matter that the top is cut short. If I ever do get one of these Veritas, I might try that; I've never yet vaped a vertical coil, but it looks like it would be just the thing in the Veritas.

I've been wicking with rayon lately in my Magma; I had gone back to organic cotton in my Kayfuns, but I'm trying out rayon again lately, and I'm really liking it, in my Magma.

Andria

ArdDarvis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Okiphenoki, OK
I like my Doge v1. I replaced the bottom o-rings with fatter ones, so once I like my build, I can flood the whole thing with no worry of leaking from the bottom. I drip through the chuff style drip tip. Its airy, but I prefer big lung inhales. The drip tip is metal, compared to the Little Boy that has a cheap-feeling plastic mouth piece.

I also really like the Dark Horse. Lots of options, both for air flow and build style.

My gf loves here Hobo v1. My only problem with it is that you have to be careful not to build too close to the center post insulator or it will burn/melt when you fire it up.

I like macro coils. 3-3.5 ID. dual coil, around 1 ohm. Japanese cotton wick is THE GREATEST THING EVER.

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
Drippers have been my bread and butter for the past 7 months. All of my tanks have been retired.

Had been vaping with the Magma, Veritas, big block 454, and a big dripper. As of 4 months ago, 3 bottom feed Loki Labs Odin RDAs are all I have been using. My preferred set-up is a 2x coil, 28 ga., 0.5 ohm assembly with Koh Gen Do cotton.

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
I just don't like duals; they usually require so much airflow, for the increased heat, that it feels like trying to "smoke a straw" -- not a good substitute for smoking at all.

But I kinda like how the Veritas has the airhole side-mounted, instead of right under the coil; I wonder if that airhole under the coil isn't the prime cause of all the leakage from the Magma.

But here's a very pertinent question: how tightly can the airflow be closed, in a Veritas? As tightly as a Magma with just one of the tiny holes in use? I use just one of the very tiny holes in my Magma, and it's a still a bit airier than I've preferred, though I've gotten accustomed. But if the Veritas can't be closed at least that much, then it would do me no good. "Lung hitting" is not a substitute for smoking cigarettes -- might work as a substitute for *that other stuff*, but not cigarettes.

Andria

You can tighten it down as much as you like. On my VS DNA 40 i have it set up for a warm mouth to lung.

I have noticed that the Veritas can easily become heat soaked. If you chain it long enough it will end up cooking the juice and possible scorch/ melt the top posi insulator. I rotate between 4-5 Veritas setups to keep each one from doing this. It does not really happen when its cooler, but here in the Texas summer they can quickly become hot. This is just accelerated by dual coils in my experience. I use one of those 4 mod cup holder things to carry them.

I also only use rayon. It resolved the wet T-shirt taste I get with cotton including the Japanese stuff. The Japanese stuff was actually worse as it had a somewhat nutty like taste that just would not go away. Also as with regular 3 posts drippers I get the best results without the wick tails hugging the coil. That's why the top tail flairs out to the side.

018b1a0d1f35e8c6bcd341de642d1490.jpg

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
That one interests me, though I dislike dual coils; got any pics of it with a single coil in place? I can't even visualize how a single coil would be mounted in that, which is mainly why I haven't gotten one yet.

Andria

EDIT: Nevermind, I found some pics on google -- I came across one with a single *vertical* coil -- have you tried that?

View attachment 411682

How would that be wicked? The bottom of the wick in the well, naturally, but what about the top? Just cut it off short, or let it dangle over really long, down into the well?

411741d1423775699-whats-your-favorite-rda-img_20150212_161209.jpg

411742d1423775750-whats-your-favorite-rda-img_20150212_161519.jpg

I wrap mine around.........twice.

And instead of trying to make the coil horizontal (easier to wick) or vertical (easier to coil), I'm ending up just making it easiest to coil, and it's turning out at an angle, which seems just fine anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20150212_161209.jpg
    IMG_20150212_161209.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20150212_161519.jpg
    IMG_20150212_161519.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
You can tighten it down as much as you like. On my VS DNA 40 i have it set up for a warm mouth to lung.

I have noticed that the Veritas can easily become heat soaked. If you chain it long enough it will end up cooking the juice and possible scorch/ melt the top posi insulator. I rotate between 4-5 Veritas setups to keep each one from doing this. It does not really happen when its cooler, but here in the Texas summer they can quickly become hot. This is just accelerated by dual coils in my experience. I use one of those 4 mod cup holder things to carry them.

I also only use rayon. It resolved the wet T-shirt taste I get with cotton including the Japanese stuff. The Japanese stuff was actually worse as it had a somewhat nutty like taste that just would not go away. Also as with regular 3 posts drippers I get the best results without the wick tails hugging the coil. That's why the top tail flairs out to the side.

Well, that's very cool about being able to close off the airflow in the Veritas, I like it a lot! I don't really chainvape too much anymore; maybe 2 hits in a row, and sometimes maybe even 3, but no more than that, then I set it down -- and I stay inside in the AC as much as humanly possible! It gets very hot (and humid!!!) in GA as well, and when it's over about 84 and high humidity, I keep my .... in the house! :D When necessary to go somewhere, I scamper out to the truck very quickly, and get THAT AC going!

I don't really notice any difference in taste between organic cotton and rayon; maybe just smoker's tastebuds. I tend to switch to the other when I have 2 or 3 instances of inept wicking leading to dry-hits. When I got the magma and got used to more airflow and a slightly lower resistance, my kayfuns' 1.8Ω builds and tight airflow began to seem anemic, so I had to start building them more like I build for the magma, and of course opening the airflow a bit for the slightly hotter coil -- and the slight difference made my previous wicking (with organic cotton) no longer very workable, so I went back to rayon; now my Kayfuns are hitting as well as my magma. But at some point, I'll probably get stupid with rayon again, and switch back to cotton.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread