Status
Not open for further replies.

DCB305

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Florida
I had smoked for about 17yrs and after about the first 8 yrs I have wanted to quit the cancer sticks (aka Gov't Crack). Quit, cold turkey (I don't get that term?) for a little over a year in 2005 and unfortunately started back up. I have tried to quit many times since to no avail. During that time I figured I was more addicted to the action of smoking more so than all the chemicals and whatnot that are in the cig's.

My wife had mentioned the e-cig's to me about 6months ago and I told her that I will again try to quit cold turkey and if I didn't I would then in fact look into the PV's more intently. Needless to say I failed at cold turkey, in 2 days, found this forum and did a lot of research and decided on the ego. I then found a shop in town where I can physically see this stuff and they set me up with a couple ego 650mah batt's and couple of DCT (dual coil tank) setups. Glad they did cause that setup has been convenient, east to use, and replicated smoking well enough for me. I smoked about 1 cig a day my first 4 days of vaping and that last cigarette literally left a bad taste in my mouth, seriously I took 3 drags and had to toss it. That was just over 4-5 weeks go. Maybe I will quit vaping one day maybe not (I will say it's not so much of a need anymore), but I thank my family for constantly being on my case about smoking.

firegirl911

Apr 6, 2012
Texas
Started smoking at age 12, have "quit" several times, even for over a year, but always went right back. Now when I smoke, I literally choke and hack on the damn things, but I continue to smoke them. I met someone at a dog show, she is a vet, and she told me about her SB. She took the time to talk about a couple other models she tried, but did not have the results she wanted until she got the SB. I have another friend that I do a lot of dog training with; she has been off of analogs for over a year now, thanks to using her PV. So, being that I'm not getting any younger, analogs truly SUCK, and I would really like nothing more than to get off of these stinky sticks, I have recently purchased my first PV (a SB) and hoping it will arrive today. I am now in the "spotlight" so to speak, as I have several friends who are waiting to see how well I do.

And yet another friend who not only quit analogs, she also uses her PV as a means to control her diet and has lost a good deal of weight!! Now who would have thought e-cigs could do that!! She is no longer using any nic in her PV, nor is she using any tobacco juices - all food and coffee flavors. When she feels like snacking, she vapes instead and doesn't eat all the crap junk food. IMO, that certainly is an added bonus and I'm all for getting rid of a few excess pounds!!

I opened a pack of analogs last night and have a full carton in the freezer. The remainder of the pack will be used as my "ration" during the transition and the carton will go away.

So, getting off the analogs is my first priority, and cutting out nicotine is next. If I can accomplish this, then I will be one happy camper!! If I happen to lose a few pounds in the process - then I'm goin' SHOPPING!! :hubba:

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
It's encouraging to see so many that kicked the habit when little rugrats come along. In short, that's also my story. Smoking since ~16, then joining the Marine Corps at 18, I wish I had never picked up a cigarette after 3 months of no smoking during Boot Camp. The Drill Instructors tell you it's a bad idea, that you are broken of the addiction. You are deprived of so many things that really the first 3 things that brand new Marines want straight out of Boot Camp are to enjoy a hot meal, a cold beer, and a cigarette (a nice woman is up there too, but usually after those 3).
Fast forward 8 years to about 2 years ago, I used CHANTIX to quit after my wife and I decided it was time to have kids. I was smoke free for just short of a year. Stress at work broke me and I bummed a smoke from a friend. It was slow at first, a few here & there, then only smoking at work, then a couple at home after work, before I knew it I was back to PAD+. After 3 months I tried CHANTIX again. If you are familiar with this drug, then you know there are many side-effects that effect every user differently. The first time I used it the only side-effect that I had was a few vivid dreams and an upset stomach if I took the pill on an empty stomach. Second time......WTF? Felt like an out-of-body experience, like I wasn't in control, like a zombie robot. It was affecting work, marriage, and family. Stopped taking it after 3 weeks.
Fast forward to the present. I'm in Afghanistan with only a few weeks till I'm USA bound. When I get home, my Wife and I decided It is time to have our second kid. I wanted so bad to be able to quit smoking, but though it impossible while deployed. Until..........A friend here introduced me to his eGo clone. Later that evening I'm burning up the keyboard with e-cig searches. Decided on a kGo and ordered immediately. First day I only had 1 cigarette, mainly because I forgot to take the kGo with me away from the office. I made a rookie mistake and underestimated how much juice I would need for my time left in Afghanistan. So I'm not full off cigarettes yet. Still smoking a little just to spread the juice out to last till I get home. My last couple days here will be completely smoke free, and my wife and son will welcome home a husband and father that doesn't smell like an ashtray.

E-cigs have given me new hope in what I thought would be a never ending war for the rest of my life. BIG thanks to all the extremely helpful members here that I have learned so much from. :toast:

Last edited:

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
I'm now 72 yrs old. A year ago in January I came across a website dedicated to juice reviews when searching for something else. I had smoked for 55 years, the last 20 of them 2 cartons a week. I had quit off and on for short periods, watched my mother die of emphysema from chain smoking most of her life, tried to quit, got right back on the cigs after major stress day at work. I had tried nic gum which tasted nasty, the patch which gave me waking hallucinations and prevented sleep for the nightmares, and the inhaler which is also nasty. I even tried hypnosis. Nothing worked, all were expensive to try.

From that juice review I found some forums, started reading them, decided to give it a try in February 2011. I bought a branded version of the Ego T's and some juice and from day one no more cigs. When the ego C's came out I switched to them because it was easier to clean the atomizers and if they failed cheaper to throw away. I started at 12 mg nic juice and went down to 9 mg in fairly short order, am now at 6 mg juice and going down to 3mg with my next juice order.

I started using small tanks on my ego bats to save myself some filling time and liked them. 1.5 dual coil cartos came in them. Good stuff.

Then I joined some of the streaming vape chat programs and learned a lot from both new and experienced vapers and modders.

I have in hand my brand new ProVari with a much larger tank and still with 1.5 dual coil cartos, will probably move to 3 ohm single coils when I run out of these. Vaping at 4.6 volts and the taste is simply stupendous. I can't believe how much better juice tastes in tanks at this voltage. When I have single coil 3 ohms cartos I will probably up the voltage some. What makes me very happy is you can run up and down the voltage settings and find your 'sweet spot' for each juice.

I have not had an analog since day one. I kept a pack and a half with my lighter on top of my microwave in the kitchen to remind me that I was no longer in danger of killing myself with smoke. I walk by them and say you dummy, look how much money you spent over the years. I'm in So Calif and it's a high tax state for cigs.

I can now smell smokers coming and realize how bad I smelled. My house had to be scrubbed from top to bottom, everything washed that could be washed and the rest cleaned. In a year I had saved enough money to buy a new couch and recliner to replace the old ones (could NOT get the smoke smell out of them) paint the inside of the house and have money left over.

Vaping is your chance to get healthier, stop burning up large amounts of money, stop burning holes in your clothing, and smell MUCH better. I figure as old as I am and the length of time I smoked with no visible consequences I might now make it another 20 years with much better lung capacity.

I have been actively working to get my friends off cigarettes, so far successfully. They love vaping and the way they feel now.

Last edited:

williegntx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
Central Texas
Had an interesting experience at the Rodeo in Bulverde, Tx. the other night...An older (I'm older too) couple struggled up the steps to the seating area and the only available seat was to my right and I moved to my left closer to my wife, but even then there was only room for one more person and her (I assume) husband (a seemingly Gentleman) motioned to his wife to sit and thanked me for moving over.

I had my ePower :vapor: with me and took a hit and exhaled...the wind carried the vapor away from the 'Old Lady', but she started flinging her arms wildly in the air in an effort to dissipate the vapor :vapor:. Her efforts were a total waste of energy since the wind was already carrying the vapor away from her...I was vaping some Banana Creme and Cinnamon, so it was certainly less offensive than the Garlic odor emitting from her :evil: (my wife later said 'I thought I was smelling Garlic, but didn't know where it was coming from').

After several arm flailing incidents (I just wasn't giving in to her antics...I just hate myself when I get stubborn like that :mad:, but), she and her husband moved up to the seats above so they could sit together and I thought that would be the end of her (other than the Garlic :evil:, Lord forgive me). But, pretty soon she sticks her Walking Kane between me and someone else that took the seat she vacated (her Daughter, I think) pointing to a 'No Smoking' sign on the railing.

I sort of lost control briefly :blink:, but recovered a bit of servility as I told her husband that I was not smoking a Cigarette and if his wife couldn't handle the smell of Bananas or Cinnamon 'I just hated it for her and she might just as well get over it' :mad:.

That probably didn't win me any awards from the PC Cops and maybe the Vaping movement will suffer as a result, but I will try to be more forgiving of uninformed folks in the future (although I don't think she can be 'Informed'...pity her husband :p )

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
I also was a long time smoker, a little over a PAD for 36 years, and multiple efforts to quit, especially over the last 10 years, but without success. My husband also smokes. I always tried either the patch or the Nicolette lozenges which were could for a period of time (like when I was in meetings all day and couldn't get outside to smoke) but I always ended up buying a pack again. It seems like every time I turn around there is another place where smoking isn't allowed any longer. Last fall it was my work place - no smoking inside the buildings and within 20 feet of doors or windows had been in place for many years, but now it's campus wide, including parking lots and streets within the campus. We have one granddaughter who lives with us, and I do want to have a healthier environment for her. I have another baby grandchild whose parents don't want him around smoke, and I want to be a or to watch him more often without getting stressed about not being able to smoke (or using so many lozenges that I'm afraid I'll overdose on them).

A couple of months ago one of my co-workers told me about e-cigs and gave me a card from a local shop. So I went down and checked it out and came out with an ego-t and some juice. I have since ordered a Halo G6 and an Element, with a manual battery and an automatic battery, for times when I'm out and about and feel more comfortable with something that looks more like a cigarette and can be held like a cigarette. I especially like the little automatics when I'm driving - it just feels more natural right now. The ego is definitely what I use at home. I'm getting better and making sure I have a charged battery, and have enough juice on hand. I have a sample pack from Halo and am still trying to determine which flavor I like the best.

I didn't stop immediately - I still had a pack or so a week until last week. I think I'm over that now, and feel confident that I who nt be buying anymore (and I want to get one of those signature banners - that is my current incentive, once I put one of those up I have to be confident that I won't go back. I found the forum back when I first got the ego, I wanted to find out more what this is all about and what I was getting in to. I have to say that I have really been impressed and inspired by the community here, in it's caring and it's helpfulness to us newcomers.

*ASH*

لــــونــــــا
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Germany
Thanks to all of you for kep sharing the story with us . And I see for many one of the mean reason is new baby on the way :D

Now what am cross my finger for it's that they will not ban my order from e-cig in Qatar as if they will do it I dont know what Am gona do latter how i can offer it or will back to smoke tich I DONT WANT :(

Cloud Wizard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
Somewhere in PA on my Ultra Limited
Started at age 12. Smoked 1.5 PAD For 33 years (except when I was in the 101stABD, 2-3 PAD for those 4.5 years).

I applaud you folks that quit for your kids. I was never able to (i have 3 boys), but never smoked around them, in the house or in the car when they were with me. I thought I hid it from them really well. This past Christmas holiday I was watching TV with my middle kid (12 year old, awesome person) and a commercial for ......... came on. He looked over at me an said, "Dad, we learned about those in health class, you should try them. ". Damn near broke my heart. That night I ordered the V2 Ultimate kit (pricey I know now) and a week later it arrived and I never looked back. A few weeks later I found this motley crew and feel so good about being smoke free longer than I ever have been since I started.

mothernyx

Mar 29, 2012
Kansas
I can relate to how much it hurts when your child asks you to quit. Unfortunately, vaping wasn't around when my daughter was urging me to quit. I tried the patch, gum, cold turkey...nothing I did lasted for more than a couple of months. Daughter grew older, started college...and began smoking. Talk about a broken heart. She graduated, got married and moved two states away with her new husband.

We talk on the phone a lot, and about a year ago she mentioned she'd quit smoking and was vaping. I congratulated her on being able to quit, but silently brushed off the vaping business as kind of a flash in the pan fad. Anything that worked to keep her off the cigarettes was great. Nearing 50, I kind of gave myself up as a lost cause.

My husband also smoked, and went in for a routine physical in January. The lung x-ray didn't look good. More tests and checking. No tumors, but he was diagnosed with emphysema. He took up chew. I wasn't about to make his condition worse by continuing to smoke anywhere around him, so I tried the patch again. I'm not sure what it was that made me think about that conversation I'd had with my daughter, but I searched for e-cigarettes on a video site, ordered an ego kit and haven't looked back since. Hubby's joined the act, and now vapes about half the time and chews the other half.

Our second grandchild is due in August, and I'll be traveling to Tennessee to help Daughter and Son-in-Law (okay, spoil the grandkids!) It's a great feeling that this little one will arrive into a non-smoking home. I wish I could have spared my daughter the experience of growing up in a stinky house to begin with, but we live and we learn.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
I've been smoking since about age 21. I'm now 52. I've been trying to quit for the past 5 years! I've tried the patch and gum numerous times and they do fine until you quit them, then when a stressful situation presents itself, I grabbed one of my husbands cigarettes. I think I've found the answer to my problem with the ecig. Now when something stressful happens I can vape. I was smoking about 2.5-3.0 packs a day. I don't have any health problems and there is no one in my family who does due to smoking, but I know it's very unhealthy and want to quit BEFORE something happens. I've never liked the taste of cigarettes, so vaping is an easy alternative.

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I started smoking in high school at some point. Clove cigarettes were always floating around in my circle, but nobody was really working at a habit. I kept on doing it as an occasional thing after I graduated, but it was pretty laid back, a pack could last me a month. Then I landed a job that I needed but couldn't stand. Cigarettes turned into an excuse to get away and cool off for a few minutes, so next thing I know I'm smoking 2 a day, which turned into 3 because I needed one to unwind on the way home from that place. Eventually I needed a couple to even face walking in through the door. By the time I had a few of the big bills off my back and could quit I was smoking a pack a day, jumping back and forth between cloves and camels. I was still in my early 20s and just didn't care, figured I enjoyed it and that was that. It probably didn't help that most of my social group smoked like they were trying to set a record. Then I watched my grandmother die from double lung emphysema. Started promising myself I'd quit before I turned 30. Quit a few times for various periods, longest was about 14 months. Never had any problem quitting, also never had any problem picking them right back up again. Started thinking that I just loved them too much and that was just the way it was going to be. Had probably leveled out at a good pack and a half to pack and three quarters a day by then too. My parents really didn't like me smoking, griped at me all the time which didn't stop me. Several years basically went by that way and I got closer and closer to that 30 year old point past which I'd sworn I wouldn't smoke. I wasn't really expecting to keep that promise but I still thought about it occasionally. Then I discovered vaping and through trial and error, mostly error at first, figured out a solution that worked well enough for me to stop smoking and picked up yet another hobby involving gadgets at the same time. I also don't have to listen to my mother complain anymore, about smoking at least.

Lightseeker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Illinois
I have told my story before, but I'll add it here too :) I realized I forgot a few details here and there.

I started rather late in life, probably early 20s and I am now 53. Over 30 years of at least 2 packs a day and some days even more. I was a chain smoker :( I never tried to quit during those years..not once. I was scared of failing, scared of change..what would I do? I couldn't imagine life without analogs. So pathetic. Then the walls started crumbling in on me a bit at a time.

My husband has a bad heart and has stints, he quit smoking 14 years ago. I grew concerned about health insurance costs, the costs of the analogs too. Plus I noticed it was taking a toll on my health.

December 19, 2011 the day my life changed forever..I had my last analog and have never even looked back since my safecigs arrived. Then in Feb..I think I think it was February my KGO arrived...another great moment in my life :)

I never thought in a million years I could give up those analogs..but here I am, smoke free, enjoying a vanilla cappuccino that I just opened. Now I don't want to go to work I'm having such a good time vaping it :)

I'm so thankful for this forum and all the vendors that helped me get started on this wonderful path of living smoke free. I still get giddy thinking about how my life has changed for the better!

ilovekopiC

Apr 11, 2012
Singapore
Hi peeps, I come from a tiny dot on the map.
I starting smoking since 16, smoking has always been quite affordable until 2yrs ago when cig price rose up till $10-12 per pack, and smoking have been ban in quite alot of places. Since last yr Oct, I was introduce by this friend of mine to try this product. After that I totally got addicted to my new toy, so convienent and affordable, with so many flavours to choose from. Now I own a EgoT and a lavatube. I tried cartomizers, clearomizers, atomizers and many more. But my favourite is still lavatube with 510 DCT with rootbeer juice. Now I'm looking towards a Provari, hope to get one soon. :vapor:

*ASH*

لــــونــــــا
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Germany
Hi peeps, I come from a tiny dot on the map.
I starting smoking since 16, smoking has always been quite affordable until 2yrs ago when cig price rose up till $10-12 per pack, and smoking have been ban in quite alot of places. Since last yr Oct, I was introduce by this friend of mine to try this product. After that I totally got addicted to my new toy, so convienent and affordable, with so many flavours to choose from. Now I own a EgoT and a lavatube. I tried cartomizers, clearomizers, atomizers and many more. But my favourite is still lavatube with 510 DCT with rootbeer juice. Now I'm looking towards a Provari, hope to get one soon. :vapor:

nice story and welcome to ECF

mg7454

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2011
ROFL
The truth is...
that after smoking for years, I liked it, I felt fine.
I started smoking when cigarettes were $00.25 a pack.
When I started smoking, you could smoke ANYWHERE!
In the movie theater, on the public bus, in restaraunts, anywhere,
and (almost) everyone was smoking!
Until smoking was declared to be un-healthy!
The truth is...
I thought I would not be effected!
Surely not ME!
I continued smoking. I still liked it.
So eventually, the price of cigarettes got higher and higher!
I decided to quit! Too expensive!
I quit cold-turkey for six months.
My friend died.
I went back to smoking so fast that I didn't even know I was smoking again!
I continued smoking for two more years.
I started coughing almost constantly.
My lungs and ribs and head hurt from coughing so hard.
The truth is...
I still liked smoking.
However, I finally thought about what a sinful thing it was to smoke!
So I prayed that God would help me to stop because I realized that it was a sinful thing to do.
Soon after, I had to get some minor repairs done on my truck.
While at the auto shop, a man was vaping on his e-cig.
I had never heard of e-cigs, and we started a conversation about them.
The next day, I went to the mall and spent all of my cigarette money on a Smoke-51 e-cig kit.
I had three packs of cigarettes left from a carton.
Over the next three days, I vaped and smoked most of those three packs of cigarettes.
I realized how bad they tasted!
I liked my e-cig. I was vaping caramel macchiato!
That was nine months ago, and I haven't even been tempted to smoke a cigarette, and I never want to smoke again!
The truth is...
I thank God for His help and for e-cigs!

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012

I started smoking when cigarettes were $00.25 a pack.
When I started smoking, you could smoke ANYWHERE!
In the movie theater, on the public bus, in restaraunts, anywhere,
and (almost) everyone was smoking!

I was just thinking yesterday how when I first started working we could smoke while we worked, and I was working in a hospital admissions office. I also remember when you could get a pack for around 30 or 35 cents, when I was in high school, so you could pay all with pennies collected from around the house (and the pack would last all week).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread