• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

When it came really down to it, would your pet defend you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If a burgler broke in, my Pugs would lick them to death! Also if I where attacked by a broom, coke can, feather duster or pudding cup I would be safe. Otis goes crazy barking at the strangest objects!

I can see it now. You are out for a walk with your guard Pugs with you. No can of mace or taser for you. No, instead you are drinking a coke and carrying the fearsome feather duster. lol

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
My kitty would. Yes, really.

She's normally the sweetest, most cuddly cat in the world. But she can tell when I don't like someone.

One time, someone I really don't like started trying to bully her way into my apartment. Not physically, just being pushy. Sometimes I'm not great at standing up for myself.

My cat came rushing across the room, and sank her teeth into her ankle. She didn't break the skin, but she was obviously not "play biting." She meant business. I've never seen her act that aggressive.

The person in question started cursing and almost kicked her across the room. I asked her to leave, as she was irritating my cat. I can't stand up for myself, but I can stand up for her!

Obviously, with her weighing all of 7 pounds and being sick and elderly now, she probably wouldn't be very successful at defending me. But I know she would try.

Last edited:

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
True story. When I lived in Coconut Grove a friend of mine lived down the street. As nice of an area that it was, it was a prime "break-in" area too.

So, she's home alone and she hears something at the door. As she approached the door she realized someone was on the other side breaking in. She instinctively picked up her cat and when "they" came through the door she threw the cat at them. The poor cat landed at their head area, all claws out (probably just looking for a "landing") and tore them up. They screamed, knocked the cat to the ground and ran like hell (away thank goodness). Cat was fine, my friend was fine, robber...not so much.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
This looks like a dead thread but I have to add my brave kitty story.
Ginger Rogers now almost 20 yo now has always been the sweetest most gentle rag doll like kitty. About 6 years ago my husband and I locked ourselves out of the apartment but remembered the sliding door was open on the balcony. So he shimmied his way up to the landing and low and behold little Ginger comes charging at him all fluffed up, growling, ears laid back and ready to brawl. LOL I don't know what she thought she could do, but I was so proud of her for defending our home when we were out.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
What about these kitties :) It was some time in 2005

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia .— A 12-year-old girl who was abducted and beaten by men trying to force her into a marriage was found being guarded by three lions who apparently had chased off her captors, a policeman said Tuesday.
Only on msnbc.com

The girl, missing for a week, had been taken by seven men who wanted to force her to marry one of them, said Sgt. Wondimu Wedajo, speaking by telephone from the provincial capital of Bita Genet, about 350 miles southwest of Addis Ababa.
She was beaten repeatedly before she was found June 9 by police and relatives on the outskirts of Bita Genet, Wondimu said. She had been guarded by the lions for about half a day, he said.
“They stood guard until we found her and then they just left her like a gift and went back into the forest,” Wondimu said.
“If the lions had not come to her rescue, then it could have been much worse. Often these young girls are raped and severely beaten to force them to accept the marriage,” he said.
'Some kind of miracle'
Tilahun Kassa, a local government official who corroborated Wondimu’s version of the events, said one of the men had wanted to marry the girl against her wishes.
“Everyone thinks this is some kind of miracle, because normally the lions would attack people,” Wondimu

Stuart Williams, a wildlife expert with the rural development ministry, said the girl may have survived because she was crying from the trauma of her attack.
“A young girl whimpering could be mistaken for the mewing sound from a lion cub, which in turn could explain why they didn’t eat her,” Williams said.
Ethiopia’s lions, famous for their large black manes, are the country’s national symbol and adorn statues and the local currency. Despite a recent crackdown, hunters kill the animals for their skins, which can fetch $1,000. Williams estimates that only 1,000 Ethiopian lions remain in the wild.
The girl, the youngest of four siblings, was “shocked and terrified” after her abduction and had to be treated for the cuts from her beatings, Wondimu said.
He said police had caught four of the abductors and three were still at large.
Kidnapping young girls has long been part of the marriage custom in Ethiopia. The United Nations estimates that more than 70 percent of marriages in Ethiopia are by abduction, practiced in rural areas where most of the country’s 71 million people live.

Sewknitty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2010
NY
shesaquitter.wordpress.com
My late pet was my hero. I had a Springer with rage syndrome but didn't realize it until I approached him to bring him inside. He looked at me as he might an intruder, put his head down and bared his teeth. If I so much as twitched he'd advance forward growling so I was stuck there trying to decide if I was quick enough to outrun him and wondering when he was going to sink his teeth into me.

All of a sudden our mutt tore out of the house and placed himself between me and his house-mate. He was trembling the whole while but he actually herded me away from the other dog and stayed firmly between us until I made it to the house and closed he patio door. They exchanged angry, scary doggy snarls and their snozzes tangled a couple time but the mutt kept pressing me toward the patio and blocking him every time he tried to leap forward. I looked outside and there stood the Springer, barking and snarling like we'd stolen something from him.

Can you imagine? First, of all, I hadn't made a sound so how'd he even know? And, the other dog was the dominant one in the household, was cranky to begin with and had tormented this one the whole time he was growing up but still he was brave enough to stand up to him to protect me. He was such a good dog - a gentle people pleaser - and I'm sure he saved me from a mauling.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
SewKnitty, I am so sorry for your loss. I KNOW how bad it is. My dear brave kitty Ginger has brain cancer. She's on pain meds right now and doing well on them, but our time is quickly coming to an end. Im just trying to be strong and brave right now, but the tears are always just under the surface fighting their way out. Hugs to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread