When should coils be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
I wind 28-30 guage coils (fairly thin wire), usually in the 1.2 to 1.8 range and vape them around 8 watts. The rayon wick lasts about 3 weeks at which time I clean the coil and re-wick. By cleaning I mean rinse under water, scrub lightly with toothbrush sometimes chasing center with drill, rinse again, burn dry while watching how it heats. If really glucked up will repeat. Lastly will adjust position. Its not a gentle process. After filling tank I usually compare the resistance before and after. Thing is some of the coils have been in use for three or four months. I keep expecting a burnout or breakage during re-wick, but if they survive cleaning and inspection they go back into service.

Guess my question is do the coils need to be replaced for some other reason if they are still working OK?

Reactions: Froth

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Keep going with them, at least until you're bored and want something to do just because. As long as they clean up with a dry burn and you don't break the wire while cleaning (I would think with long term use the wire has to get more brittle) just keep going. No hard rule I know of that says you have to replace the coil so long as it's clean and functional. I imagine you are using a juice that's not heavy or sweet to get that kind of life out of both the coil and wick.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
You're fine with your usage at 3 to 4 months IMO, personally I have become bored with making new builds so my current every day build is 10 months old and has been re-wicked every two weeks with rayon. Now that I think about it I have probably put at least 1000ml of juice through those coils and it's still going strong...once it breaks during a dry burn I'll re-build it but it keeps tasting great and working so I don't bother changing it, my backup device has a 6 month old build in it and I have no plans to change that one either.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
You're fine with your usage at 3 to 4 months IMO, personally I have become bored with making new builds so my current every day build is 10 months old and has been re-wicked every two weeks with rayon. Now that I think about it I have probably put at least 1000ml of juice through those coils and it's still going strong...once it breaks during a dry burn I'll re-build it but it keeps tasting great and working so I don't bother changing it, my backup device has a 6 month old build in it and I have no plans to change that one either.

Thanks Froth. Was mostly concerned about any ill effects of vaping a worn coil when I posted question. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Johnnie Jones

Moved On
Oct 4, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I run under water and dryburn to clean. Can't remember the last time I've changed a coil using SS or Kanthal because it needed it. I usually change when I'm wanting to try something else. It's not unusual for me to go months and I'm sure I've probably hit a year on Kanthal builds at some point.

I don't use NI200 anymore but that was another story. Didn't want to dry burn so cleaning was a pain, especially with how delicate it is. I also found it got brittle with use so basically I just changed the coil when it needed cleaning. Glad someone discovered ss as a replacement for temp mode, NI200 was a pain.

Reactions: tckenno

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I wind 28-30 guage coils (fairly thin wire), usually in the 1.2 to 1.8 range and vape them around 8 watts. The rayon wick lasts about 3 weeks at which time I clean the coil and re-wick. By cleaning I mean rinse under water, scrub lightly with toothbrush sometimes chasing center with drill, rinse again, burn dry while watching how it heats. If really glucked up will repeat. Lastly will adjust position. Its not a gentle process. After filling tank I usually compare the resistance before and after. Thing is some of the coils have been in use for three or four months. I keep expecting a burnout or breakage during re-wick, but if they survive cleaning and inspection they go back into service.

Guess my question is do the coils need to be replaced for some other reason if they are still working OK?
It depends on your definition of okay. I care about throat hit and texture and use minimal flavoring so there is less gunk. My experience is preserving the vape I want means rewicking about every 25 ml, twice a week. If I rebuild after a few weeks or a month it seems to make a difference too. Some how coils that look fine age never the less. I use only one style of atomizer, an SV rda clone. Part of the reason for that is it's fast to rewick. Another reason is it picks up my low flavor percent. The only atomizer in my stockpile is SV's. (It's what I like.) Dripping takes 10 seconds 12-14 times a day. I haven't noticed that's inconvenient. Temp control means no dry hits. I use a tall slip ring to minimze leaking in my pocket. I don't do tanks or mechs. So anyway I get the best vape from a fresh wick and coil.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
Wow this thread is really encouraging me to get into coil-building. Sounds like I'd save a lot of money. I'm not spending a huge amount on pre-made coils right now but still...

At least get a small roll of wire in your favorite guage Herrick, just to have on hand for emergency use. It's cheap enough and you can wind a couple to see how close you come to duplicating your premade coils in diameter and resistance. Can also toy with loose wraps vs tight to see which works better on your setup.

celtic.kg

Oct 18, 2016
Wow this thread is really encouraging me to get into coil-building. Sounds like I'd save a lot of money. I'm not spending a huge amount on pre-made coils right now but still...
Exactly why I got into rda/rta's. I got tried of buying coils and for some sub-ohm tanks I couldn't find the coil I needed locally. So that meant buying it online and having to wait for it to get here. Which by the way sucks if you don't have any spares. I still have my very 1st roll of 24ga Kanthal. Though it doesn't see much use anymore.

But back on topic is it just my builds or do older coils start turning your wicks and/or juice darker far sooner than when they were new?

Reactions: Eskie

randomhousegir

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Riverton, Utah
I wouldn't say SAVE money but for about what you'd pay you can make a waaaaay better coil than what comes premade. It CAN save you money but getting into coil building can make it so you only break even at first. Just my opinion...but I'm making claptoned double helix and all sorts or coils that don't save me money but the flavor.....oh, the flavor. Do it for the flavor ;-)

The flamethrower is evidence that someone, at some time said to themselves "I really want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"

Muru

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Making a coil is easy, I just always have so much trouble mounting them. I use the subtank mini with rba, which is supposedly easy to build, but.....sigh
So I only replace them only when it's absolutely necessary. That said, I once had the bright idea to stick a toothpick down the hole underneath the coil in a protank coil I used to just rewick and it came out black! So, maybe rebuilding and cleaning the base really good is a sensible thing to do. Tho I still don't ;)

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
If you find a build that gets it done for you take care of it by cleaning it often to prevent caramelizing of vg on them and rework them at least once a week or so with a rewick and they will last you as long as you want to run them. I have a build that has been in the same rda for over a year now I just take care of it and it still performs as good as the day I built it. Just don't let them sit around wicked and wet for long periods or it will get gunky. Cheers

randomhousegir

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Riverton, Utah
Making a coil is easy, I just always have so much trouble mounting them. I use the subtank mini with rba, which is supposedly easy to build, but.....sigh
So I only replace them only when it's absolutely necessary. That said, I once had the bright idea to stick a toothpick down the hole underneath the coil in a protank coil I used to just rewick and it came out black! So, maybe rebuilding and cleaning the base really good is a sensible thing to do. Tho I still don't ;)
I used to love my subtank but I always had issues with the rba. I bought a Gemini by vaporesso but my builds would go below the resistance it could fire so I bought a different mod (to be honest the guy who taught me how to make fused claptons recommended this one and I'm not sure what it is other than a fuchai ). I don't like the kanger rba personally. It was hard to make wick right and leaked constantly.....I think of you change your tank/deck you'll have an easier time. Different strokes for different folks tho

The flamethrower is evidence that someone, at some time said to themselves "I really want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"

skiball

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
Get a serpent mini, you'll thank me later.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Muru
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread