When the e-cig brought tears to my eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
dont view it as "quitting" just changing.. and if the desperate need for a real cig is there.. just have one.. the need will soon go away.. dont make hard work of it and its easy..

best of luck to all new e smokers..

the the NRT thing is about one word by the way cass.. Therapy therapy is medical.. NR without the T is okay..

its the T that involves the powers that be.. only they can say whats a T.. he he he

trog

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Hi Cass.....great to know you are doing well...like most of my patients who are already with COPD..they responded well....most of them got back their Lung Vital Capacity(even though not fully ) by the first to second week of treatment...just by using e-cig...

It is amazing to see this happens especially a debilitating disease like COPD...we have the tech but the world is afraid....just keep spreading the good word Cass...let your doctors know how you do it and teach them please...this is not a coincidence..this is true hard facts and it is pointing at the right direction(albeit needs a few tweaks to make it better:p) ...

Thanks again for your story...there are lots more to tell if my patients allows me but.... ahem..patient confidentiality act prevents this.....thank you and god bless ..take good care and happy vaping.....:cool:

doggsie

Oct 9, 2008
Merseyside UK
Hi Cass,
Keep posting i think you are a shining example of how ecigs help people over come what has been a struggle for so many for so long, and i find your posts an inspiration, i love to read them and i wish i could be as articulate as you so, good luck you will make the switch completely as will I.
My nickname at school was Cass.....so that makes you ultra cool :wub:

Mommyshann

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Florida, USA
Doggsie - She's even more articulate with her books. Don't know if you're a big reader and if so what genre you read but Cass writes superb Historical Romances and I'm getting ready to start her one and only Horror novel (hopefully not her last)! Her site is on her avatar if you're interested. :D

p.s. - CASS - answer your PM's woman!...lol

Hi Cass,
Keep posting i think you are a shining example of how ecigs help people over come what has been a struggle for so many for so long, and i find your posts an inspiration, i love to read them and i wish i could be as articulate as you so, good luck you will make the switch completely as will I.

Cass, that was brilliant to read, a real beam of light.

I've been smoking a pack a day since I was 15 or so, and I just turned 40 a few weeks ago. I started when I was 7 or 8.

I told myself that I would give up on my 40th birthday (like I did at 35, and 30 and endless birthdays before that). But when I have a beer in my hand, a cigarette goes with it like a fish goes with water. That was the end of my 40th birthday resolution (it was a particularly boozy birthday party).

Two weeks ago, a mate of mine asked me if I'd heard of electronic cigarettes. My first reaction was "You've got to be kidding!". My second reaction was one of curiosity, and he showed me a website.

I was interested. As with anything I'm tempted to buy that I don't know anything about, I did some research, and I was led to this forum. A week or so later, I had my first e-cigarette, with 30 cartridges.

When I was younger, I was able to swim the length of an olympic pool underwater, and still have room for more. The last time I was in a pool, I only just managed 50m on the surface, breathing heavily the whole time, almost turning blue by the time I reached the end.

The other day, I had to run a reasonable distance to handle an emergency at work. I kept waiting for the lack of breath to kick in, but it didn't. So I kept on running, and got to where I needed to be, with a healthy lung full of air at the end.

That was less than a week after I received my e-cigarette, and had cut back instantly from a pack a day, to between 2 and 5 cigarettes a day.

I don't know about clinical trials, and government approval, or whether or not the long term prognosis for e-cigarette users is better than for regular smokers, but I know what I feel now.

And I'm happy that you and many others here have stories that make me feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's as easy as picking up an e-cigarette, instead of a coffin nail.

Cheers Cass!

Trogg100 said:
dont view it as "quitting" just changing.. and if the desperate need for a real cig is there.. just have one.. the need will soon go away.. dont make hard work of it and its easy..

the the NRT thing is about one word by the way cass.. Therapy therapy is medical.. NR without the T is okay..

its the T that involves the powers that be.. only they can say whats a T.. he he he

trog

You are bang on the money there Trogg! :thumb:

Grumpysanta

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2008
Essex, England
Cass, glad to read you are doing so well. I just changed from analog to e-cig without any crossover period. Fortunately I was smoking menthol analog so I couldn't remember what an analog cig was like without menthol. I never really smoked that hard to suffer hard breathing and to be honest I don't feel any different now, That's the important bit, It feels the same to me as smoking analog.

Perhaps we should be referring to e-cigs as NRD - Nicotine replacement Delivery.

I need my nicotine to help keep calm under pressure so e-cig's are necessary for me.

keep up the good work Cass. :thumb:

Soot

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Belfast, UK
I'm afraid I don't trust myself to have the odd-cig - I'd end out smoking as much as I ever did while using the e-cig to fill in when I can't smoke. That's just me though - I know we're all different and I wish I had your self discipline Cass.

Well done on making the change - it doesn't have to be "complete" if you can manage not doubling-up.

cass

ECF Veteran
I started e-smoking 5 days ago and have not smoked a single ... since.This is by far the easiest method I've ever tried,and if I get past 5 months it will be my record.

jules, this is what inspires me! I had a really bad cig day today. Decided to just up and not buy any more cigs. I guess I wasn't ready. by the time I got home tonight, I over compentsated by practically eating an entire pack of real cigs.
Felt like a failure. Then I came here.
Every night when I visit this forum, it's like a re-group session.
Ok, ok...so there's also a small part of me that is competitive. I always think, if so-and-so can do it, so can I! Let's try again tomorrow!
I agree, it's definitely easiest method. I just discovered it so quickly that I didn't really make a plan. So, each night, I visit here, get another boost of spirit and will continue trying tomorrow.
I think one thing we smokers do is give up the moment we fail.
The idea has got to be that there is no such thing as failing. Just keeping at it.
Thanks for the encouragement!

cass

ECF Veteran

trog

Wanted to PM you on this but I'm apparently not computer saavy enough to figure it out. What you're saying is so true. If quitting feels like a punishment, why would we do it.
Just now as I was vaping I wanted a cig, then lit a cig...I thought, "Is this anything like the joggers who run with a Snickers in hand???" or "Why don't I pop open a slim fast and a bag of Ruffles Chedder???"
When I vape, I like the way it tastes (now<g>) and feels. But I still miss my old friend. I think I was just trying to quit too quickly because so many others have.
"Don't make hard work of it." Thank you! My new mantra for tomorrow.
As I take a big ol' hearty breath right now, I am/will remind myself, stop making cigs such a big damn deal. Relax...
I am SO going to do this thing...
Thank you.

cass

ECF Veteran
Hi Cass.....great to know you are doing well...like most of my patients who are already with COPD..they responded well....most of them got back their Lung Vital Capacity(even though not fully ) by the first to second week of treatment...just by using e-cig...

Had my PFT earlier this week, but no results. The quy doing the test tried to be very reassuring when he said, "You're lungs aren't that bad."
"So, I'm a brilliant breather then!" I told him.
"Yeah...no, I wouldn't say brilliant," he tells me.
I guess I'll have to wait until next Thurs to find out. I guess I just really wanted to be able to tell the doc that I'd quit. I'm definitely bring the e-cig in. Want to talk to him about it. What I realize is, how can we be on the same page, if he doesn't know what i'm doing?

Thanks again for your story...there are lots more to tell if my patients allows me but.... ahem..patient confidentiality act prevents this.....

HIPAA Shmipaa!:D
Thanks, Jimldk. I'm just going to keep plugging away at it. Heck, maybe I won't be quit by next Thurs, but it sure would be nice to give a decent # if he asks how much I'm smoking now.

cass

ECF Veteran
Hi Cass,

I have to laugh. I always feel so bad for such agonizing long posts! Everyone here has been such an inspiration to me. Like I said before, I try to log on as soon as I can to get another boost of anti-smoking karate (sorry--been playing Mortal Combat with my son---by the way, that's a great way to stay away from the cigs(I can vape in his room, but not smoke)).

e-cigs are definitely a boost for us all! I am so grateful!

You mean I didn't have to keep tyring in my Pjs and rugged biker jacket???

Ok...gotta give credit on my groooovy hippy mother and her apparently deep love of the Mamas and the Papas.
Thanks, doggsie!

jpc815

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2008
Tennessee, United States
jules, this is what inspires me! I had a really bad cig day today. Decided to just up and not buy any more cigs. I guess I wasn't ready. by the time I got home tonight, I over compentsated by practically eating an entire pack of real cigs.
Felt like a failure. Then I came here.
Every night when I visit this forum, it's like a re-group session.
Ok, ok...so there's also a small part of me that is competitive. I always think, if so-and-so can do it, so can I! Let's try again tomorrow!
I agree, it's definitely easiest method. I just discovered it so quickly that I didn't really make a plan. So, each night, I visit here, get another boost of spirit and will continue trying tomorrow.
I think one thing we smokers do is give up the moment we fail.
The idea has got to be that there is no such thing as failing. Just keeping at it.
Thanks for the encouragement!

You can do it! If it was easy we wouldn't all have so much trouble and wouldn't have all quit a dozen times! I will have to admit this has been the easiest for me to do this time, I like having something to puff on and hold in my hand! Hang in there and good luck to you, you will make it!

cass

ECF Veteran
The other day, I had to run a reasonable distance to handle an emergency at work. I kept waiting for the lack of breath to kick in, but it didn't. So I kept on running, and got to where I needed to be, with a healthy lung full of air at the end.

Isn't it amazing how quick our bodies start to repair themselves??? I think that's why I was so amazed that day when I woke up wih fuller lungs. It was so quick.
I smoke less during the day than at night at the computer. During the day, I'm definitely seeing a difference. By the time, I go to bed at night, I'm straining again.
The picture is SO clear and right in front of us.

cass

ECF Veteran
Doggsie - She's even more articulate with her books. Don't know if you're a big reader and if so what genre you read but Cass writes superb Historical Romances and I'm getting ready to start her one and only Horror novel (hopefully not her last)! Her site is on her avatar if you're interested. :D

p.s. - CASS - answer your PM's woman!...lol

I did, I did! I'm a slow PM'er!
Thanks for the promo, Mommyshann! One day when I makes tons of moola, I'll have to have you manage my PR dept!:D

cass

ECF Veteran
You can do it! If it was easy we wouldn't all have so much trouble and wouldn't have all quit a dozen times! I will have to admit this has been the easiest for me to do this time, I like having something to puff on and hold in my hand! Hang in there and good luck to you, you will make it!

FYI, I jumped back on the wagon today! I'm disappointed to say that I'm not going to be able to swtich over as easily as others, but I'm thrilled to say, I only smoked a pack today. I need to stop pressuring myself so much and try to be proud of where I am.
You haven't smoked in over 4 months, jpc! That a quarter of the year! It's lame, but part of my motivation is to get a groovy graphics that ticks my quitting time too. When I quit, that is.
Another update, dh (hubby) who previously refused to try the e-cig, asked if he can use my black one to finish his quitting process.
Wow! How greedy I felt! The black one? Well, if youre truly dedicated, you'll settle for the pink.:D
Ok, ok, I'm just glad that he's seeing the benefit.
But what if he burns out my atomizers, expects me to recharge everything? What if I go for a new cig and there's no fresh batteries??? What if he starts sneaking my juice?
My god, why can't he just have an affair with another woman and leave my e-cig alone???:)
BREATHE! I'm sure it will be okay. Looks like I need to place another order...

cass

ECF Veteran
:lol:Oh Cass he he he he he sorry but i just got to try that line next time i go out :p

Please, please, please, let me know how it goes!
I'm already getting visuals....I'm a little worried for you, doggsie. Take one for the team!:D If only for the good story you get to tell afterwards...which, hopefully doesn't end with dry gulching and and ER visit!8-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread