Status
Not open for further replies.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I've changed them before - just because it seemed like a good idea! But today I refilled a tank with a carto that has been almost empty for several days while I waited for the juice to arrive. The vape seems thin, even though I reprimed the carto. Is this a sign it's time to change it? Anything else I've missed (more priming)? No dry hits, it just seems a little airy and - thin, if that makes sense?

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
When I saw the title and the name I thought... well its been awhile, lol.

I would say though that give it a bit of run if it is not intolerable and see if it comes around. If the filler does not look wet then maybe fiddle it some. Airy isnt usually an indication for me to change a cartomizer, generally the draw gets tight or it wants to over wick and gets wet. Rarely I to the point of it tasting burned but I think that is in large part to the eLiquids I mainly use and paying close attention to getting the fresh cartomizer ready on that first few draws, as you know but I will repeat it, make sure it is wet then dont put much power to it until it is going.

Has been a successful formula for me.

Let us know if it does come around for you Amanda, since it is on the other end of what usually indicates failure my guess would be that it will and probably serve you for awhile.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
It hasn't been that long, OCD LOL 4 tanks isn't enough....but the budget is hurting a bit at the moment, so I'm alloting the tanks I do have to the favored juices! This one came today, and I think maybe it wasn't steeped as long as the previous one. Although Five Pawns is usually well steeped on arrival! I'll give it a day or two and see...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If a carto isn't just right, I will save the remaining juice and change the carto. I happen to be quite well-stocked with cartos, so I have that luxury. A freshly primed carto is just so nice, and to "tolerate" a not so nice one just isn't worth it to me. Depending upon any given individual carto, I can get at least a full week of great flavor, if not two to three weeks with some.

When I typically change a carto is like what OCD described. The draw becomes tight, the carto begins to flood, or the vapor production seems to die off. I've found that if the carto or juices taste burnt, there's little chance that its going to improve no matter what I try, and I just replace the carto.

I hope that helps. :)

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I did change the carto, but as it turns out I think this juice wasn't steeped as long as the previous one, and therefore it still tastes rather thin. Interestingly enough this is Five Pawns Absolute Pin with a born date of 1/1. The last one had a born date of May of last year - what a difference time makes! So, yes, I did waste a perfectly good carto, but now I know that it was the juice, not the carto!

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
You know Amanda you can always run another eLiquid in behind it and still use the cartomizer. If the new flavor is complimenting I have almost never had anything but an enjoyable interesting mix moment. Contrasting flavors can be used also but seem to have less favorable meld moments sometimes.

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
Hey Avi, there are many factors that can influence how long a cartomizer lasts. Different eLiquids is one, clear eLiquids generally tend to go a bit longer. Amount of power you apply, higher power can shorten the life of a cartomizer. Brand of cartomizer, seems like you read a lot of one brand over the other in terms of how long they last. My belief is that a lot of this is dependent on the user and their vaping style alogn with what they expect and want from their vape. A smokey pretending to smoke kind of vape is what I like which is why we prefer the Smoktech while other may like something else.

That said time is not a good reference as we all go through different amounts of eLiquid in a day. I am around 3 to 4mls a day with my main vape being a clear eLiquid. I will usually get 20 to 30mls through one but I tend to change them out at first sign of things not being what I expect. They could certainly be used longer and sometimes a couple of weeks might pass before I hit this.

With one dark eLiquid I have been using lately I will only get around 10 to 15mls through.

The Halfling cartomizers my guess is to derate that by about 30 to 40%, they dont last as long for me but I still love to use them because they just look good on some of my setups.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I don't use LR because on the Provari it makes more sense to me to use the higher resistance coils. But it may be that if you like a hot vape you need the LR cartos - I can still get it pretty warm, though, by turning up to 4.8 or so!

I did. 3.2 ohm I think. Was looking for LR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WileECoyote

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2013
Woodbridge, VA, USA
www.zidrate.com
I run 30/70 pg/vg juices through Smok dual punched single coil 3ohm cartos on my MVP2. I usually run between 7 and 8W They last me anywhere from a week to 3 weeks. Depends on juice, usage, power applied. As far as the OP question. Could be a number of things. If I get burnt taste repeatedly after turning down the power, or tight draw, or little to no vapor then I change out. I am not too tight on cash at the moment, fingers crossed, so I like to keep 10 to 20 on hand so if i need to change out I can. The cost of a carto and its lifetime dramatically out weigh the price on analogs. The more you fiddle, the more you will be in tune with them. Too bad you can't rebuild them... ...yet.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
Oh, the Provari and the IB Tanks will change your life....you're going to absolutely love it, and will immediately be ordering more tanks LOL I still use my Tritons for out and about, but the Provari is always alternating with my Reo in my hand at home:p

Thanks Amanda. Good to know. My Provari was supposed to arrive yesterday. I was so excited. Looks like tomorrow and I'll give it a go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
Just put the new one in from the top and push it through while flipping it over. Top becomes the bottom, prime and you are back in business.

ETA*** Always make sure you back up the cap that is going to try and push out when sliding a cartomizer through the tank for a swap or when filling rather than holding the tube ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread