When was TC introduced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
That may not be exactly true.

To high of a resistance and the mod may refuse to TC regulate the coil - automatically kicking the user into power mode. To low of a resistance and the TC regulation might be iffy at best.

Recall that to guesstimate the coil temperature the mod needs to read the COLD resistance of the coil and then use the TCR value of the wire used in the coil to calculate the resistance of the temperature set point.

Given the same TCR wire a coil with a 0.25ohm cold resistance will change 1/2 as much as a coil with 0.50ohm cold resistance. The higher resistance coil offers twice the granularity as the lower resistance coil.

So you see, base resistance in TC mode can matter. How much is dependent of the mod and TCR of the wire used.

The resistance of the wire we use for tc is so low that it's actually hard to get resistance too high. I only use Evolv's boards for TC. Honestly I've used .1 and .5 for TC and I've never noticed an issue. Does resistance matter? Absolutely; but unless you're using 24 gauge nickel I doubt the resistance will ever be so low that TC won't work.

Reactions: nocigsnomore

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
SS greatly prefers to be spaced, even just lightly. No idea why, but it actually make simple coil life easier.

I played around with contact and spaced coils using Kanthal a while back and found spaced gave me slightly better flavor and maybe lasts a bit longer between dry burns. I still do most of mine spaced for both VW and TC though I'm pretty much always VW now.

Whatever works ... :)

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
The resistance of the wire we use for tc is so low that it's actually hard to get resistance too high. I only use Evolv's boards for TC. Honestly I've used .1 and .5 for TC and I've never noticed an issue. Does resistance matter? Absolutely; but unless you're using 24 gauge nickel I doubt the resistance will ever be so low that TC won't work.

Resistances down around 0.15 work great with (and were initially adopted for) Nickel because of its' incredibly high TCR compared to SS (and NiCr and Kanthal are down around 2% of Ni200).

And that calculation (TCR x initial res per degree) is what the mod uses to accurately and responsively track temperature. The greater the swing as temp rises... the better.

316 SS is a poor choice actually with its' low-ish TCR, (except for all the others ;) ).

For example, 430 has a TCR 50% higher than 316. Sounds great, but its' resistance is substantially lower. I use 28g 430 where I would use 24g 316... 24g or 22g 430 is almost unusable for us because of that.

Honestly... you want a cold res up higher, near an ohm even. TC is all but incompatable with cloud chasing, there's no reason to stay locked into that low res/high watts mindset.

There's a lot that goes into what makes an appropriate TC wire TBH, bit of a balancing act.

Last edited:

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Resistances down around 0.15 work great with (and were initially adopted for) Nickel because of its' incredibly high TCR compared to SS (and NiCr and Kanthal are down around 2% of Ni200).

And that calculation (TCR x initial res per degree) is what the mod uses to accurately and responsively track temperature. The greater the swing as temp rises... the better.

316 SS is a poor choice actually with its' low-ish TCR, (except for all the others ;) ).

For example, 430 has a TCR 50% higher than 316. Sounds great, but its' resistance is substantially lower. I use 28g 430 where I would use 24g 316... 24g or 22g 430 is almost unusable for us because of that.

Honestly... you want a cold res up higher, near an ohm even. TC is all but incompatable with cloud chasing, there's no reason to stay locked into that low res/high watts mindset.

There's a lot that goes into what makes an appropriate TC wire TBH, bit of a balancing act.
.15 wasn't "chosen" because it was ideal. That resistance is used often because the resistance of ni200 is so dang low. TC in compatible for cloud chasing? My Velocity with dual 26 gauge stainless puts out a ton of vapor.

I use 316l because of it's availability at stores. The DNA 200 and the 75 handle 316l just as good as nickel. I don't worry about ohms, I decide my wraps based on how many wraps can fit in the build deck. Never had any issues, in fact my Griffin is the most stable when it comes to TC and my resistance is .23.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
TC is all but incompatable with cloud chasing, there's no reason to stay locked into that low res/high watts mindset.

If you believe that then you're doing it wrong.

I have no problem blowing massive clouds with a TC setup. I can even use my old Starre with OEM Ni200 coils and blow massive clouds that will compete with most any custom kanthal build.

It's simply a matter of wire temperature. If you set your TC temperature the same as you would reach with kanthal, guess what, you're going to get the exact same amount of vapor from it. If you think that TC is incompatible with cloud chasing then it's pretty obvious you don't really know how to use TC and have always set the temperature too low.

Let me take a wild guess here. You've never vaped a TC mod over 450F. I guarantee you've never vaped a TC build at 80W and 570F. Massive clouds, and I can take huge long draws without overheating the coil and getting a burnt taste from the juice.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
TC in compatible for cloud chasing? My Velocity with dual 26 gauge stainless puts out a ton of vapor.

Let me take a wild guess here. You've never vaped a TC mod over 450F. I guarantee you've never vaped a TC build at 80W and 570F.

I'll cop to an incredibly poor choice of phrasing with "incompatible", especially as I didn't explain how I was thinking of the difference between VW/VV and especially mechs which "throw" vapor and TC modes, which don't. Be interesting to see a TC cloud comp. ;)
Would it work better? Or worse?

CA... you should take care with silly "bet you never" statements as well.
And at 570F, I'd say you're an outlier. But that's neither here nor there.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I started to use TC only recently, when mods started to handle SS wire with resistance up to 1.5 ohm.

Resistance do matter. Low builds fail to give satisfactory vape for low wattage vaper.
Right now I am vaping on 30 avg SS wire at 1.2 ohm, 380F. It is about the same as vaping at 10W. And from very beginning (when I was rebuilding Protank coils) I am getting spaced coils automatically because a wire is springy.

I have two Kayfuns, one with Kanthal, another with SS. Vape quality is the same, but TC gives me "freedom" of not looking at juice level - when tank is empty it just stops working without any dry hits. May be it is not too much, but why not to use it if I am buying TC mods anyway? They are really cheap.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I started to use TC only recently, when mods started to handle SS wire with resistance up to 1.5 ohm.

Resistance do matter. Low builds fail to give satisfactory vape for low wattage vaper.
Right now I am vaping on 30 avg SS wire at 1.2 ohm, 380F. It is about the same as vaping at 10W. And from very beginning (when I was rebuilding Protank coils) I am getting spaced coils automatically because a wire is springy.

I have two Kayfuns, one with Kanthal, another with SS. Vape quality is the same, but TC gives me "freedom" of not looking at juice level - when tank is empty it just stops working without any dry hits. May be it is not too much, but why not to use it if I am buying TC mods anyway? They are really cheap.
It's not the resistance, it's the coil mass. You could build a high resistance coil with lots of thinner wire that requires higher wattage than a low resistance coil built with thicker wire but only a couple of wraps.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
I'll cop to an incredibly poor choice of phrasing with "incompatible", especially as I didn't explain how I was thinking of the difference between VW/VV and especially mechs which "throw" vapor and TC modes, which don't. Be interesting to see a TC cloud comp. ;)
Would it work better? Or worse?

CA... you should take care with silly "bet you never" statements as well.
And at 570F, I'd say you're an outlier. But that's neither here nor there.

Well it's easier to cloud chase in good ol' wattage mode. When I build my Velocity I build two coils around 12 wraps, you need more surface area in order to produce more vapor. My dna 200 tends to hover around 80 watts, if I want max vapor I vape around 550-570 and the board will throw well over 100 watts to the coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread