When will subohm and high wattage mania end? And what trend will replace ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexsr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
upstate new york
Hey family,

Subohm mania is in full effect as the local vape shop has All equipment dedicated to this. The highest nicotine level they go to is 12mg!!. They looked at me funny when I requested 48mg to go with my 12 watt vape

I made an honest attempt at trying to like subohm but I honestly don't like it in the least.
Large air flow equals much less flavor
High wattage equals much less flavor to me.

When do you think companies will stop the obsession with who has the highest wattage and instead focus on other things like improving atomizers and cartridges and other things that go into a great vape.

Any thoughts would be great!!

(And am I the only tootie puffed out there that likes 15 watts and high nicotine ? )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Nothing wrong with low watt mtl at all. I think that's how just how many of us ever stopped smoking. But manufacturers will build what sells, and folks like big numbers. No different than cars and hp, computers and chips, and so on. That doesn't mean there are not options on the market, including new ones. Aspire still makes all their mtl stuff including their newish Nauti X. Smok, well known for big power big cloud of late, has the Spiral for mtl use. And Vaporesso has the Drizzle (I know, not the most attractive name for a tank).

As for consumer demand, well, if juice gets extremely expensive due to excessive taxation, I'm sure there will be those vapers who cut back the big cloud stuff and get their nic in a more concentrated, cost effective manner should stuff become taxed per ml.

Now, as for buying 48 mg at your local vape shop, I'm not sure I've ever seen a commercial premixed juice at 48 mg, although if the shop mixes they could prepare it for you. More likely you'll need to buy online and DIY it, which is a big cost savings over commercial juice anyway. You can buy a liter of 100 mg nic, and make essentially 2 liters of juice for the cost of ~$50 for the nic, and ~$25 for VG/PG. Flavor expenses are up to you but still an awful lot cheaper than the retail shop.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Nuthin' wrong with low watts. Had me some juice that didn't taste much impressive on me subohm.
Happened across some CE5's still stashed in the back of a drawer ( EU's been a bit faster on throwing a moneky wrench in the works - or BP BT succeeded earlier in their 'efforts' ; so I didn't chuck any regardless of technological progress) and lo! juice tasted really nice. Pleasant surprise that was. So I do both. Fog in airports with just one puff or vape discreetly, depending on circumstances/mood

To each his or her own.

If it sells it gets manufactured.
If fellow vapers fork over some major dough for the latest vape-at-0.005 ohms-or-get-another-100miles-on-your-tesla-mod ... Their money, their fun.

If it's hype or the real thang - part of the joy is finding out for yourself what works for you.

Live and let live - vape and let vape :)

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
I'm pretty sure sub ohm will be around for a while. But I like it and it has it's place in my collection. I also have some lower wattage devices as well like my old Provari. But I think that there needs to be more development in the cigalike type devices. The only ones these days are the kind you get at the store like Mark 10 and the Blu stuff. I love those little guys because they work great for being so stealthy. It's not like you can take a sub ohm device to work and get away with vaping on it. And in many cases it can be annoying to a lot of people even when you are walking down the street. And even the lower wattage devices like my Provari are just a bit to big and bulky to walk around with it in my pocket. In my opinion, all these devices are great and they all have their place in the vape world. It just depends on where you are at the moment you want to vape.

And you are not the only vaper who likes high nic. I love it too. Although I don't do 48mg, I do enjoy a good 24mg sometimes. The only problem is it's getting harder and harder to find the hig nic stuff these days.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I've found a medium.

I was vaping on the TFV8 at around 70-100 Watts, I think .15 ohms.

Recently tried a OBS Engine, dual Notch Coils and I am at around 40 Watts with a .15 Resistance.

More flavor than the TFV8 easier on the juice. I'm still in Sub Ohm Territory though.

TVC70

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
AZ, USA
I agree with much of what's been said above. I quit smoking with a cig-a-like (a company called Safe Cig that doesn't exist anymore afaik) at low power, MTL, and high-ish nic. (18mg). I then moved through various stages: eGo 650mah with Fluxomizers at 1.8 or 2.4 ohm, eGo Mod with removable 18650 and Vivi Nova in the same ohm range, and finally VV/VW mods with RTAs. For a long time I've been using various VV/VW mods at between 30 and 45 watts with various RTAs, 3mg/ml nic., from .4 to 1 ohm resistance, and using the direct-to-lung method.

I bumped up performance at each step because I wasn't finding myself satisfied with the previous step any longer. I knew I wouldn't go back to tobacco, but I still wanted something that would satisfy my cravings and make vaping as enjoyable as possible. I think where I'm at right now is the perfect level for me, just as your setup is perfect for you. Despite the existence of the cloud-chasing-for-it's-own-sake phenomenon (not that there's anything wrong with that), I'm also betting there are people who genuinely find an equal degree of satisfaction at 150 watts and .1 ohms that we find at our preferred levels. Point is, each of us has a place where our needs are met, and no two people are going to be the same, so I believe the more variety the better.

There are still plenty of options for the dedicated tootle puffer, though they obviously aren't being catered to these days like other groups are. Realize also that you can take a 200 watt variable mod and many RTA's that are out these days, set the mod at 15 watts, fill the RTA up with whatever nic strength you want, close the airflow nearly off (or even all the way off), and then tootle puff to your heart's content, should the need arise and all else fails, while going the other way on something like an old eGo is not possible. It might not be the ideal setup, but at least the option is there. Point being that tootle puffers like yourself can survive no matter what.:thumb:

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
You have to remember that the shops make far more money off of the juice than they do off the hardware. So, they're going to push the setup that uses the most juice. It irritates me to see a new vaper walk into a shop and walk out with a subohm setup, but there it is. I suspect that 25% of the subohm vapers are in it for the clouds and the rest are in it because that's what they were given when they started. I don't see the subohm culture going away any time soon.

The worse part of this is that most people take up vaping as a healthier alternative. However, I'm sure there is still some risk and harm from it, just not as much as smoking. But when you ramp up your juice consumption 4x from what you need, you're raising your harm exposure 4x as well. I know that shops are in it for the money, but they're doing a real disservice to people who want a healthier alternative to cigarettes.

Last edited:

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Big clouds and muted flavor with expensive juices just destroy the wallet. Remember when switching to vaping actually could "save" you some money(unless you develloped a "shiny addiction" like I did and went crazy buying mods and attys). Sub Ohm has its place for sure but it used to require knowledge about your device, batteries and so on. You had to know how to build your setup for the kind of vape you were looking for. Now people are becoming much more disconnected from their vape stuff, due to the vendors pushing devices that make those clouds and not educating the consumer properly. Not everyone researches their gear or cares to learn about it, a lot of people just want to go in and buy something that works and "Set it and forget it".

I had a guy at work vaping on a Kangertech Top Box mini kit that was in ruins. The battery casing was pretty much taped in place, the battery itself had little rips all over the wrap and he thought it was perfectly fine. He had no idea how dangerous his set up was in the condition it was in. I ended up setting him up with a Cool Fire IV(his tank was fine) until he can replace his own set up. I am currently holding on to his old set up and will be recycling his battery for him so that he's not tempted to use it(I have no idea how old the cell is so Im not letting the guy risk it with rewrapping it).

Personally, my sweet spot is around .5-.7ohms. I like sub ohming but I build accordingly. I have recently been experimenting with some thicker guages and going with a bit lower resistance. I do my best to keep flavor out front and still get myself a decent cloud. Love my Lush atty for balancing flavor and clouds!

Joergl100

Oct 15, 2016
Germany, Lake Constance
Not in mine...
sarcastic.gif

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
Barnet UK
But I think that there needs to be more development in the cigalike type devices. The only ones these days are the kind you get at the store like Mark 10 and the Blu stuff.
The conversation in this thread alone shows the second point not to be true, although I agree with your first point. There must be a market for a good efficient mini with a decent PCC. There are still folks out there that don't want to carry around e-cigs that look like fountain pens, sonic screwdrivers, lightsabres or a small Walkman™ cassette player!

I suspect that 25% of the subohm vapers are in it for the clouds and the rest are in it because that's what they were given when they started.
I suspect you may be right & if my experiences so far are anything to go by, I won't be going sub ohm any time in the foreseeable.

Flavour over clouds any day for me.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I am vaping on a G-Priv/Cloud Beast at 130w and a Provari/Kabuki at 12w as I type. No right or wrong IMO as long as it keeps u off the smokes.

If I didn't DIY, I wouldn't ever be vaping over 35w though. Not a chance in hell I would be spending $10-20/30ml to blow thru 10-20ml of store bought juice a day.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I am vaping on a G-Priv/Cloud Beast at 130w and a Provari/Kabuki at 12w as I type. No right or wrong IMO as long as it keeps u off the smokes.

If I didn't DIY, I wouldn't ever be vaping over 35w though. Not a chance in hell I would be spending $10-20/30ml to blow thru 10-20ml of store bought juice a day.

Yeah blowing through a bottle of store bought in day would be like have a 2 to 3 pack a day cigarette habit if it wasn't for the inexpensive DIY e-Liquids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread